Player Discussion With the 9th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Trevor Zegras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Edmonton, and Detroit especially, went off the board with their picks which benefited us quite a bit.

This and Pronman for instance said regarding Broberg "Broberg was arguably the best defenseman at the camp, making a ton of plays with his skating and skill particularly off the rush." so EDM did not do anything wrong with their pick.

Further more, "Caufield was the best player at the camp. ".

On Z "Zegras was up and down during the camp. He had some very good games and some just OK ones. You saw the flashes of his elite skill and brain but some plays weren’t connecting."

He also projects a Nick Robertson-Trevor Zegras- Arthur Kaliyev line for the US team.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I wish we took Nick Robertson. he is another Gallagher type player.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Over Zegras?
He prob means over tracey/Lacombe. Tho idk what its in the zegras thread lol

But Robertson was taken 53rd, so we had 2 chances at him... he does look pretty solid, but man is he going to get hyped like crazy in that Toronto system.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
In the end of the day, for me Z is the most talented forward we had for some time. On the other hand he is far fromb being a sure thing and imho he has a long way to go. I do also think if and that is a big IF he puts it all together he may end up being the better player than Hughes. I think his skating is close, his shot as good if he would use it more and he has some sort of nastiness.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
In the end of the day, for me Z is the most talented forward we had for some time. On the other hand he is far fromb being a sure thing and imho he has a long way to go. I do also think if and that is a big IF he puts it all together he may end up being the better player than Hughes. I think his skating is close, his shot as good if he would use it more and he has some sort of nastiness.
I think Hughes plays smarter game than Zegras. Z sometimes seem to try do all by himself and even some unnecessary flashy plays. Obviously he makes plays that others don`t (like that crazy backhand pass against Sweden) but overall game processing I think he`s not there where Hughes is.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
For as stacked as the US team was, Zegras only has really good stats. Turcotte, Hughes, and Caulfield had video game numbers. Maybe that's why?

When I watched them play a game or two, I was really impressed with Zegras. His edges, puck control, creativity, offensive awareness were off the charts.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
For as stacked as the US team was, Zegras only has really good stats. Turcotte, Hughes, and Caulfield had video game numbers. Maybe that's why?

When I watched them play a game or two, I was really impressed with Zegras. His edges, puck control, creativity, offensive awareness were off the charts.

When watching him play at the WJC summer camp, he made a lot of plays his teammates weren’t ready for. That level of creativity and awareness will be capitalized on once he turns pro.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
When watching him play at the WJC summer camp, he made a lot of plays his teammates weren’t ready for. That level of creativity and awareness will be capitalized on once he turns pro.
That has me thinking there is a chance he becomes a guy who averages 85 to 90 points per year in the new high scoring NHL. I wonder what a Comtois/Zegras/Silf line could do, Silf being the sniper on that line.

11Justin93

Sep 27, 2011
That has me thinking there is a chance he becomes a guy who averages 85 to 90 points per year in the new high scoring NHL. I wonder what a Comtois/Zegras/Silf line could do, Silf being the sniper on that line.

I don't think Zegras will be ready for a few years so I'm thinking something like Comtois - Zegras - Sprong. Either way, hhhnnnggggg

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
They have a behind the scenes video there which is kind of neat. It seems like Bergevin isn't even in the room for the draft board meeting? The Ducks had one of these a few years ago, wasn't Murray still in the room even though Madden was running the show?

Nothing's wrong with that. It depends on your skills, if you think you can scout well or not. It's just interesting to note.

As for Krebs/Caulfield they were saying that Krebs was crossed out with yellow very early. He was apparently a DNP for some reason despite being ranked at 6. Maybe it relates to their discussion about "they can't mess this up" and they were worried about the injury.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
They have a behind the scenes video there which is kind of neat. It seems like Bergevin isn't even in the room for the draft board meeting? The Ducks had one of these a few years ago, wasn't Murray still in the room even though Madden was running the show?

Nothing's wrong with that. It depends on your skills, if you think you can scout well or not. It's just interesting to note.

As for Krebs/Caulfield they were saying that Krebs was crossed out with yellow very early. He was apparently a DNP for some reason despite being ranked at 6. Maybe it relates to their discussion about "they can't mess this up" and they were worried about the injury.

Agreed. Caufield was crossed off from the start. That only means one thing... it's a general mock list. Krebs isn't one of the top-11 that the Habs would take if he dropped. It makes a lot more sense after you let it sink in, walk away, and then re-think about it. LoL They took BPA on their consensus mock, probably generated by their scouting staff. It's exactly what the Ducks do, but their general census mock has different values. I presumed we crossed off Kaliyev if he was in the top-25 general mock as we drafted Tracey ahead of him. Welp, I doubt many teams had Tracey in the bottom of the first round or top of the second round. So that's a bad example. hahhahahhahaha

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
What do you mean? Krebs went like 12 picks before our second pick. Even if the Buffalo pick had gone perfectly, we wouldn't have been in a position to select him.

We had a deal with the team right after Vegas to trade our second first and our second rounder to trade up to take Krebs. Then Vegas took Krebs and the deal was off. It hurts thinking of what could have been, but who knows what the future holds with Tracey and LaCombe.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Lets be honest, if Caufield would stand close to 6 foot he would likely be a top 5 player if not even a #3. You don't find the shot very often. Z at #3 on the Habs list is cool. I've said it before, talentwise he could become the best player out of this draft but he is far from being a sure thing.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Build wise and production wise Zegras has been very similar to Farabee Joel Farabee at eliteprospects.com

They play a bit different styles tho, but just found it interesting and comparable. Farabee put up PPG in his only season in Boston University (same where Zegras will play) and now we`ll see what he produces in the NHL with the Flyers.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Do you think Zegras makes the team next year?

I think that all depends on how the Ducks do this season, especially with Getz, Steel, and Lundestrom. If the team does well, then there's no rush to Zegras. Since Zegras can only play at the NHL level next year, just to get him here next year just so he's here next year doesn't make sense. With the abundance of centers now in Anaheim and San Diego, I think Bob has created a situation that he doesn't have a dire need to bring Zegras in this or next year.

Centers at NHL level: Getz, Rico, Steel, Grant as well as Rowney and Shore
Center at AHL level: Lundestrom

Remember, GM Murray set this all up before the draft. We can let Zegras grow physically at college, especially if we're expecting him to be 1C of the future. I don't think GM Murray is inclined to trade away any prospect centers in Steel and Lundestrom b/c Murray learned his lesson about not having proper talented depth down the middle. The future could have Zegras, Steel, and Lundestrom as our 1C - 3C.

Reactions: ducks8

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If he's ready by then, then he's ready and he'll be with the Ducks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad