Player Discussion With the 9th pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, the Ducks select Trevor Zegras

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Love the fact that one of his strengths is his escapability/acceleration/edgework. That is probably what will separate him from a player like Steel.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Pronman's Take:
May 20, 2001 | six-foot | 168 pounds
Zegras was fantastic all season for the USNTDP and was a go-to guy for the program when they needed a goal. In terms of pure offensive skill, he’s the best in the draft class. He’s a special playmaker and one of the best passers I’ve seen as a first-year draft-eligible in recent years. It’s not just that he sees the options, it’s also the fact his timing is elite in terms of when to execute plays, and he has the high-end skill to feather pucks into the right spots. His imagination gets the highest praise from me. He’s made some very creative one-touch plays where he’s knocking pucks that were behind him onto the sticks of teammates or firing a bullet pass while spinning with the puck on his backhand. He’s known as a playmaker but has a sneaky good shot and can pick a corner if you give him time. Zegras has fine speed, very good edge work and hands to evade checks. He can push the pace when he wants to, but for a small, slight forward, he slows it down a bit too much for me. He’s not the biggest or bulkiest pivot and has at times played wing this season, but he’s gotten steadily better in the physical parts of the game and will push back when opponents get physical with him. Zegras isn’t a guy who you pick to run over guys, though; you’re drafting him to slot onto the half-wall of your first power play and get the puck to the scorers on his wing for a decade.

USNTDP center Jack Hughes on Zegras: “He’s the most creative player on our team. He thinks outside the box, he’s really smart and super crafty with his hands and movements. He’s really slippery. He’s an easy guy to play with knowing he’ll always give you great passes.”

Team Fit: In Zegras, the Ducks add a true impact forward prospect to their organization, to join other talented young forwards like Sam Steel, Maxime Comtois and Isac Lundestrom. Zegras stands above them, though, and has the potential to be the first-line center they need as they look to their next wave of talent. Zegras will need some time to round out his game, but he’s immensely talented, a top 3-4 player in the draft on pure upside.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’m ecstatic about Zegras. Him and Dach were my top-2 realistic guys. Couldn’t be happier with this pick.

Terrified that the Kings nabbed Turcotte though, he was my favorite player outside the top-2.
I knew the kings were gunna get byram/Turcotte … which sucks, but zegras was best case scenario for us at 10... hes better offensively than Turcotte... and that's what we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad