Prospect Info: With the 92nd Pick ( Round 3 ) The Bruins select Christopher Pelosi

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I doubt ADB would be a healthy scratch in the playoffs
When he played in Erie, a lot of people were saying he was the beneficiary of playing with McDavid.

Until you broke it down game by game and proved that it was McDavid's numbers that went up when ADB was in the lineup and not the other way around.

Does that mean he was the better player? Absolutely not.

It just means some people didn't do their homework.

Reactions: LouJersey

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, that's the key. Very tough to get stud players after the first round. Heck, even 1/4 of first round players, on average, never make it to the NHL.

34% of 2nd rounders, 27% of 3rd rounders and 22% of 4th rounders make it to the NHL. Pretty big drop off from the first round. Most of those picks are usually within the range of the average of draft projection lists. Not exactly a foolproof method given the low percentage of players who make it to the NHL out of those rounds. It's all about scouting and some luck at that point.
3 seasons or 246 games is considered making NHL and its about 14%

Second round is 22%

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If Quinnipeac wants him and he plays 3 years there as a regular I bet he ends up a good nhl player

I knew nothing about him when thee took him I’ve learned he very smart on the ice which probably why Quinnipeac wants him and he can motor and plays with an edge

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know, LAK won 2 stanley cups after the B's. They kept their core (Kopitar, Doughty, Brown,...) and their system looks pretty good.

Maybe they're the exception. I don't know. But I understand your point.
LAK has 4 outstanding months for he made 150 months

They won as an 8 and 5 seed

I wish I had a magic wand and could waive it at every Bruins fan who uses the LA Kings Cup turned into a hardcore LA fan in 2007-8 and had no feeling for Boston

I like to ask then how enjoyable those last 15 years and 2 Cups were

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Ya I don’t really get why anyone cares. If any third rounder becomes an impactful nhl player it’s a home run. It’s rare. And has anyone even seen him play? It’s hard to form opinions based on central scouting. Are they right with their rankings at the end of round three? They took a big centre who plays a 200 foot game according to the internet. Who knows. Let’s check back in 5 years see where he is.
From the 2013 draft: Brett Pesche, Pavel Buchnevich, Jake Guentzel, Anthony Duclair, Carter Verhaeghe, Oliver Bjorkstrand

From the 2014 draft: Elvis Merzlikins, Ilya Sorokin, Brayden Point, Jake Walman

From the 2015 draft: Anthony Cirelli, Dan Vladar, Aidan Hill, Tommy Novak

From the 2016 draft: Adam Fox, Josh Anderson,

From the 2017 draft: Stuart Skinner

Fromthe 2018 draft: Jack McBain, Jordan Harris

A couple of stars, some good players, a couple of players like Walman and Novak who had a very late success this year as 26 year olds. There are some other NHL players from those drafts but they are 12th-13th F or 7 D types. Still a couple guys from 17 and 18 who could be late bloomers but most likely not. But obviously the odds are against picking someone really good.

So yeah, the success rate isn't high. But the majority of the ones who were successful picks (Fox, Buchnevich, Guentzel, Duclair, Verhaeghe, Bjorkstrand, Point were guys who flashed skill in juniors.

Picking a guy who was 11th in scoring on his USHL team is really not an effective strategy. If you can't score against your peers it's very likely that will continue or worsen at the next level. If you don't have a 1st or 2nd rd pick it's better to swing for a big time scorer who maybe has some other flaws. If you are going to "throw a dart" you might as well aim at a bullseye and not the lowest point spot on the board. A better dart throw would be Jayden Perron. Like all 3rd rd picks it's better odds that he doesn't make it than he does... but if he does he'll be a scoring offensive player. I'd rather risk on that then risk an upside of getting a 4th liner.

Not up and arms about it just saying I don't think he was the best player on the board.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Ranked #127 by central scouting, taken #92. Classic Sweeney.
I know as much about this kid as half of the Bruins followers does about Brandon Carlo’s game

The premise seems solid - he’s got the attributes that play in NHL and going to a school that looks long term and turns their players into 3 zone 200 foot every situation prepared

Lopesi and Locmelis similar characteristics I have deducted researching

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
From the 2013 draft: Brett Pesche, Pavel Buchnevich, Jake Guentzel, Anthony Duclair, Carter Verhaeghe, Oliver Bjorkstrand

A couple of stars, some good players, a couple of players like Walman and Novak who had a very late success this year as 26 year olds. There are some other NHL players from those drafts but they are 12th-13th F or 7 D types. Still a couple guys from 17 and 18 who could be late bloomers but most likely not. But obviously the odds are against picking someone really good.

So yeah, the success rate isn't high. But the majority of the ones who were successful picks (Fox, Buchnevich, Guentzel, Duclair, Verhaeghe, Bjorkstrand, Point were guys who flashed skill in juniors.

Picking a guy who was 11th in scoring on his USHL team is really not an effective strategy. If you can't score against your peers it's very likely that will continue or worsen at the next level. If you don't have a 1st or 2nd rd pick it's better to swing for a big time scorer who maybe has some other flaws. If you are going to "throw a dart" you might as well aim at a bullseye and not the lowest point spot on the board. A better dart throw would be Jayden Perron. Like all 3rd rd picks it's better odds that he doesn't make it than he does... but if he does he'll be a scoring offensive player. I'd rather risk on that then risk an upside of getting a 4th liner.

Not up and arms about it just saying I don't think he was the best player on the board.
I never heard of this pick and I probably spent an hour every day for last month reading and watching video of the draft

Odds he’s a bust but they saw something

You never know

Good part is gives me another reason to watch Quinnipeac

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
“Bruins need to draft big centerzzzzz!”

Bruins draft big center

“Smahtestttt guys in the room. #FireSweeney”
This 135 point season kind of ruined the true essence of what this place is all about

We are back to the glory days of 2016 and 2017 I think when we will no longer be expected to win the Cup but fight for a playoff spot

The bar has been lowered and time to get a job the trust fun is almost at .00

Welcome back to reality Bruins fans

Time to get that old clock radio from the 80’s (I miss Lechmere) out of the basement and join the LA Kings and NY Islanders fans dsily routines

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Via ESPN:

Loser: Boston Bruins
The Bruins sent their first-round pick to the Washington Capitals in the moves for Dmitry Orlov and Garnet Hathaway and their second-round pick in their deal for Hampus Lindholm back in 2022.

So they didn't have a pick in this draft until No. 92 overall when they selected USHL center Christopher Pelosi. To say they went off the board here would be an understatement: Pelosi, who will be joining Quinnipiac this fall, was ranked 128th overall among North American skaters. In selecting the 6-2 Pelosi, they passed over Jayden Perron, a 5-foot-9 winger who was selected at No. 94 by those shrewd operators, the Carolina Hurricanes. Hopefully this isn't "Boston drafts Trent Frederic over Alex DeBrincat" part deux. -- Wyshynski
I have never understood baseball and hockey draft grades. These guys are years and years away. It's not like the NFL and NBA were they are on the team automatically and in the NFL's case many start.

"I just got home from the rink, and I sat down to throw on the draft and I saw my name pop up right away, I was pretty pumped," Pelosi said when asked how he got the good news.

"I'm just going to keep working hard and hopefully take some big steps this summer and prove a lot of people wrong," he said

Even he didn't think he was going to be picked that high.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I have never understood baseball and hockey draft grades. These guys are years and years away. It's not like the NFL and NBA were they are on the team automatically and in the NFL's case many start.
I wasn’t even 15 minutes into ancestry.com to see if Nancy Lopresi was our picks great grandmother when the grade dropped F-

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I never heard of this pick and I probably spent an hour every day for last month reading and watching video of the draft

Odds he’s a bust but they saw something

You never know

Good part is gives me another reason to watch Quinnipeac
I don't think the "you never know" strategy is conducive to long term drafting success.

Imagine you live in Mass. and your brother lives in NH. Both states have lotteries with the same odds of winning the jackpot. Both states charge $1 for tickets. The NH jackpot is 10,000,000 and the Mass. jackpot is 100k. Which one do you buy? If you are going to try and win a lottery, win a big one. A better pick would've been his teammate Sam Harris. Also a longshot, but a longshot who lead the team in scoring. Even 4th liners like Brandon Duhaime and Wade Allison (both picked out of the USHL) scored in their draft year at that level. Choosing a guy with little offensive ability makes little sense in the 3rd rd. Take big swings. If you want to pick a possible 4th line grinder... do it in the 6th or 7th.

The "They must've seen something" can be used on every bad pick ever made. The NYR saw something in Hugh Jessiman that made them select him over Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf and Ryan Kesler. I don't care if the Rangers saw something, it was a dumb pick.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think the "you never know" strategy is conducive to long term drafting success.

Imagine you live in Mass. and your brother lives in NH. Both states have lotteries with the same odds of winning the jackpot. Both states charge $1 for tickets. The NH jackpot is 10,000,000 and the Mass. jackpot is 100k. Which one do you buy? If you are going to try and win a lottery, win a big one. A better pick would've been his teammate Sam Harris. Also a longshot, but a longshot who lead the team and scoring. Even 4th liners like Brandon Duhaime and Wade Allison (both picked out of the USHL) scored in their draft year at that level. Choosing a guy with little offensive ability makes little sense in the 3rd rd. Take big swings. If you want to pick a possible 4th line grinder... do it in the 6th or 7th.

The "They must've seen something" can be used on every bad pick ever made. The NYR saw something in Hugh Jessiman that made them select him over Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf and Ryan Kesler. I don't care if the Rangers saw something, it was a dumb pick.
It was dumb on the spot - they also took mcIlrath high

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Yeah, that's the key. Very tough to get stud players after the first round. Heck, even 1/4 of first round players, on average, never make it to the NHL.

34% of 2nd rounders, 27% of 3rd rounders and 22% of 4th rounders make it to the NHL. Pretty big drop off from the first round. Most of those picks are usually within the range of the average of draft projection lists. Not exactly a foolproof method given the low percentage of players who make it to the NHL out of those rounds. It's all about scouting and some luck at that point.
Scouting and luck and of course where you pick is huge, but the key is to have those picks, at least be in the game. Im no mathematician but I'm pretty sure its like 0 percent they don't make it in rounds 1,2 and 3 if you don't have any picks.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
DeBrincat was passed over 38 times….

Not sure what the big deal is with this third round pick. Hopefully this kid proves all the haters wrong & can contribute. Not like they took him in the first round
It's not so much "this pick" as it is what seems to be their drafting strategy. Picking guys who don't score against their 18 year old peers doesn't make a lot of sense. Even if you "hit" it's going to be a 4th liner. Look at Wade Allison and Brandon Duhaime. Both drafted out of the USHL and are currently 4th line NHL players. Allison had 15 pts this year, Duhaime had 10 pts (9 goals).

Would you have traded this 3rd round pick for either guy? Maybe some would, maybe some wouldn't.

But consider these 2 physical, grinding, tough players when at the same level, in their draft year:

Allison 47 pts in 56 games 2nd on the team in scoring, the 1 guy ahead of him also drafted
Duhaime 32 pts in 39 games 4th on team in scoring, 2 of the 3 ahead of him were also drafted
Pelosi 19 pts in 43 games 11th on the team in scoring, 1 of the 10 drafted... 2 rds after him

Most grinders scored somewhat in juniors but made their way in the NHL finding a different role, it's hard to find useful players who just didn't score as an 18 year old, and when you do it's something like: they were injured or they were Euro teens playing in a men's league.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
How would this roster look if Sweeney just set his plan to auto draft? Start back in 2015 & run it to 2020.. and let’s discuss how different this roster looks. Mr Harvard has a knack for always trying to be the smartest guy in the room when it comes to draft time.
I'd love to see the analysis if you want to do the homework. I think it shakes out better then you think. Issue is you have to pick one list and take it all the way; preferably stating the chosen list before doing the research, but since your doing the homewok... Again, I would love to see the analysis I think McKenzie would be the standard because Central Scouting doesn't do an overall rank they split North American and International.

Reactions: Oates2Neely and TCB

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It's not so much "this pick" as it is what seems to be their drafting strategy. Picking guys who don't score against their 18 year old peers doesn't make a lot of sense. Even if you "hit" it's going to be a 4th liner. Look at Wade Allison and Brandon Duhaime. Both drafted out of the USHL and are currently 4th line NHL players. Allison had 15 pts this year, Duhaime had 10 pts (9 goals).

Would you have traded this 3rd round pick for either guy? Maybe some would, maybe some wouldn't.

But consider these 2 physical, grinding, tough players when at the same level, in their draft year:

Allison 47 pts in 56 games 2nd on the team in scoring, the 1 guy ahead of him also drafted
Duhaime 32 pts in 39 games 4th on team in scoring, 2 of the 3 ahead of him were also drafted
Pelosi 19 pts in 43 games 11th on the team in scoring, 1 of the 10 drafted... 2 rds after him

Most grinders scored somewhat in juniors but made their way in the NHL finding a different role, it's hard to find useful players who just didn't score as an 18 year old, and when you do it's something like: they were injured or they were Euro teens playing in a men's league.
Did you miss the picks of Brett Harrison, Matthew Poitras, Dans Locmelis, Riley Duran, Fred Brunet, etc?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Did you miss the picks of Brett Harrison, Matthew Poitras, Dans Locmelis, Riley Duran, Fred Brunet, etc?
Not great examples.

Poitras was not a relatively high point getter in the OHL in his draft year- 45th in ppg among under 19 year old players. He's turned into an intriguing pick who has done as well as you could hope for since being drafted, but even at the draft the questions about "upside" were there. Good pick but not an example of going for a guy who was a high point getter against peers in his draft year. An example of the type I'm talking about, taken in the same draft year, out of the same league is Sasha Pastujov. Definitely has questions about whether he can translate, but was a big scorer in his D year.

I've already mentioned how Locmelis was not the same kind of pick as Pelosi.

Brett Harrison didn't play (tiny handful of games in Finland) in his draft year so it's hard to say he was or wasn't a high pt scorer.

Brunet had 1 goal and 9 pts in his draft year. So not a great example. I realize they drafted him a year later when he did put up pts. You'll argue that is an example, I'd argue I'm talking about draft year pts.

I

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Not great examples.

Poitras was not a relatively high point getter in the OHL in his draft year- 45th in ppg among under 19 year old players. He's turned into an intriguing pick who has done as well as you could hope for since being drafted, but even at the draft the questions about "upside" were there. Good pick but not an example of going for a guy who was a high point getter against peers in his draft year. An example of the type I'm talking about, taken in the same draft year, out of the same league is Sasha Pastujov. Definitely has questions about whether he can translate, but was a big scorer in his D year.

I've already mentioned how Locmelis was not the same kind of pick as Pelosi.

Brett Harrison didn't play (tiny handful of games in Finland) in his draft year so it's hard to say he was or wasn't a high pt scorer.

Brunet had 1 goal and 9 pts in his draft year. So not a great example. I realize they drafted him a year later when he did put up pts. You'll argue that is an example, I'd argue I'm talking about draft year pts.

I
Ok. Well I would counter by saying that’s a pretty cruddy argument. You’re positing that they just draft grinder types too early. When it’s not the case.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Imagine you live in Mass. and your brother lives in NH. Both states have lotteries with the same odds of winning the jackpot. Both states charge $1 for tickets. The NH jackpot is 10,000,000 and the Mass. jackpot is 100k. Which one do you buy? If you are going to try and win a lottery, win a big one. A better pick would've been his teammate Sam Harris. Also a longshot, but a longshot who lead the team in scoring. Even 4th liners like Brandon Duhaime and Wade Allison (both picked out of the USHL) scored in their draft year at that level. Choosing a guy with little offensive ability makes little sense in the 3rd rd. Take big swings. If you want to pick a possible 4th line grinder... do it in the 6th or 7th.

I dont think reaching Hugh Jessiman at the 12th overall pick is really remotely comparable to "reaching" at the end of round 3...I get your point about going with more of the consensus or looking more for offense, but again not really the same thing at pick 12 as it is at pick 92.

Reactions: Kegs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad