Prospect Info: With the 92nd Pick ( Round 3 ) The Bruins select Christopher Pelosi

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Because I want actual discussion about the player, not “this pick suckz cuz the rankings of Dan from Saskatoon said so” (who physically does not have time to watch every player btw) …….when it’s the 100th f***ing pick in the draft

Tell me *why* it’s a bad pick and actually talk about the player. Don’t appeal to authority by using some hacks rankings who can’t get a job in the league and has zero insight into the players medicals/interviews/etc and probably didn’t even watch each individual player a ton! That’s not a real discussion or argument!

I said it before- it’s the same people who cry about reaches in the late 5th round of the nfl draft. It’s not a thing at that point in the draft.
It's a bad pick, because on a bad team of players who will never reach the NHL (with the slight possible exception of 1) he was the 11th highest scorer. Because in the very few and short clips I saw, his skating looks sub-par. Because there were other players taken around him who have shown better against their JR peers than he has, and who have more visible skills that translate to the NHL.

Doesn't mean he can't improve and get there.
Doesn't mean it's going to be the end of the team.

It does mean people, with what we know now in this moment, can say it wasn't a great pick.

Is that allowed?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It's a bad pick, because on a bad team of players who will never reach the NHL (with the slight possible exception of 1) he was the 11th highest scorer. Because in the very few and short clips I saw, his skating looks sub-par. Because there were other players taken around him who have shown better against their JR peers than he has, and who have more visible skills that translate to the NHL.

It does mean people, with what we know now in this moment, can say it wasn't a great pick.

Is that allowed?
It’s definitely an actual discussion! I tend to not have strong opinions at this point in the draft, none of the guys picked at this point have even an average shot of playing in the league. Maybe 3-5 of them that round will, and the majority of them probably are picked towards the beginning of the 3rd and not where we picked

I’m certainly not going to throw a tantrum about a guy none of us have seen play. He’s got size, he’s a center, he’s going to a good program. I’ll take the wait and see approach instead of wasting energy ranting about why pick 92 will be a bust when pick 91 and 93 are also 95% likely to also be busts.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don’t want to lead the witness. Let’s see what he comes up with first.
At this point there's no reason to think he'd rise or fall much. I can't see any team in the 1st round preferring him at this point.

There's maybe 3 or 4 picks ahead of him in the 2nd rd that I'd say Lohrei is better than. 1 or 2 in the next15 or so picks that I'd take ahead of him.

But everyone is going to have a different view on which guys and how many. If you think he'd go in the 1st, I'd say you are very wrong.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Is that allowed?
From what I read he wasn't even supposed to be on that USHL team, was called up and played so well they kept him up. IMO that context paints a picture moreso of a guy who is improving and on his way up. I'm far from defending the reach, but it adds a little bit of optimism for me.

I do prefer taking the guy dropping down the list (like Pasta), but what do I know, I dont get to watch these guys.

As you get later in the draft I almost feel your teams ability to develop plays a larger role than the player's skills themselves.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
From what I read he wasn't even supposed to be on that USHL team, was called up and played so well they kept him up. IMO that context paints a picture moreso of a guy who is improving and on his way up. I'm far from defending the reach, but it adds a little bit of optimism for me.

As you get later in the draft I almost feel your teams ability to develop plays a larger role than the player's skills themselves.
Yes and development isn’t always linear too. It’s not like a kid turns 17 and they all develop at the same rate. There’s a lot that goes into it, especially when projecting out, and those are things each team has far more info on than us. They saw late development occurring with Lohrei that #TheLists didn’t account for. What was a “reach” now looks like a good pick. Hopefully the same happens here- who knows? All I know is it’s the end of the 3rd round and I couldn’t possibly work myself up about it.

Reactions: NDiesel

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
How would Shane Pinto look in Boston right now?
can literally play this game with every team in every draft

Idk who needs to hear this but Trent Frederic was a good pick where we got him. Getting a responsible 3rd liner with some toughness at that point in the draft is a good thing!

Reactions: Kegs

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Because I want actual discussion about the player, not “this pick suckz cuz the rankings of Dan from Saskatoon said so” (who physically does not have time to watch every player btw) …….when it’s the 100th f***ing pick in the draft

Tell me *why* it’s a bad pick and actually talk about the player. Don’t appeal to authority by using some hacks rankings who can’t get a job in the league and has zero insight into the players medicals/interviews/etc and probably didn’t even watch each individual player a ton! That’s not a real discussion or argument!

I said it before- it’s the same people who cry about reaches in the late 5th round of the nfl draft. It’s not a thing at that point in the draft.

I cant remember that I did say Pelosi sucks. I said that I would prefer them to take talent that falls to them and is higher ranked. Perron would have been this players and he was the one even would have taken and he has more hockey that you and me will ever have.

I dont care if this guy is the 89th pick or 100th. If you piss draft picks away left and right make the ones who are left count. If you have an surplus of draft picks go for the reaches and projects in the later rounds.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Even if they really like him, it's still just awful asset management at the end of the day, which is just par for the course for Sweeney.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I cant remember that I did say Pelosi sucks. I said that I would prefer them to take talent that falls to them and is higher ranked. Perron would have been this players and he was the one even would have taken and he has more hockey that you and me will ever have.

I dont care if this guy is the 89th pick or 100th. If you piss draft picks away left and right make the ones who are left count. If you have an surplus of draft picks go for the reaches and projects in the later rounds.
"I'm not saying Pelosi sucks...but you can't piss away draft picks" hmmmm

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
can literally play this game with pretty much every team in every draft
Then why didnt you say that to the guy who asked the question?

This is the problem. On the day of a draft you say "I don't think this is a good pick and here's why....'

People say "It's too early to say it's bad! Clownfart Draft GUy knows nothing!!!"

4 years later when there's more evidence in that it's still a bad pick, someone says "You can play with game with every draft."

Blame the guy who asked the question. Or don't respond if you don't like answer to a question you didn't ask.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Even if they really like him, it's still just awful asset management at the end of the day, which is just par for the course for Sweeney.
How is a third round pick awful asset management? It’s not the NFL where teams are trading up and down all day (as we just saw).

And I seem to remember all the same tropes when Lohrei was picked. With very few admitting they were wrong.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
In a redraft, where do you think Mason Lohrei goes? Dans Locmelis?

Lohrei looks promising but the draft is just three years ago. To early to tell. Locmelis was that huge of an reach like Pelosi? I remember different but also to early to tell.

"I'm not saying Pelosi sucks...but you can't piss away draft picks" hmmmm

... through trades.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
How is a third round pick awful asset management? It’s not the NFL where teams are trading up and down all day (as we just saw).

And I seem to remember all the same tropes when Lohrei was picked. With very few admitting they were wrong.
Funny, last summer you and I had a discussion about Beecher and Mattias Maccelli. I told you Maccelli was a better prospect than Beecher. You argued he wasn't and your main argument that Maccelli had done as much in the NHL as Beecher.

So let me ask you, what has Lohrei done in the NHL so far that makes you think he's proven people were wrong?

If the answer is "Nothing, but he's shown a lot at lower levels" that's fine.

Except you don't allow that argument against any guy who has shown more at lower levels than a B's prospect has.

Seems to be a shifting of logic and evidence here.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

All the same tropes when Frederic and DeBust were taken as well. Think a lot of people liked the consensus pick in Zboril too. Shows what we know on here.....

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Then why didnt you say that to the guy who asked the question?

This is the problem. On the day of a draft you say "I don't think this is a good pick and here's why....'

People say "It's too early to say it's bad! Clownfart Draft GUy knows nothing!!!"

4 years later when there's more evidence in that it's still a bad pick, someone says "You can play with game with every draft."

Blame the guy who asked the question. Or don't respond if you don't like answer to a question you didn't ask.
4 years later if he busts we can say he busted like 28 other ppl picked that round. You’d have an argument if they reached at 13.

it’s pick 92 and ppl are appealing to the authority of others who DO NOT HAVE authority and DO NOT HAVE time to watch and evaluate every prospect in the world. They don’t do interviews. They don’t look at medicals. They have zero context. They can pretend they have all these things if they want to, but they physically don’t have that much time in a day and they don’t have those kinds of insights. Appealing to these people has been 99% of the “THIS GUY SUCKS” argument. At least watch him play one (1) time. If he gets to Quinnipiac and he’s bad then great, I’ll say it’s a terrible pick and the people who threw a tantrum about the 92nd pick in the draft can celebrate in the streets.

The rankings fly out the window at that point in the draft, I guarantee every teams board is wildly different

Last edited:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Funny, last summer you and I had a discussion about Beecher and Mattias Maccelli. I told you Maccelli was a better prospect than Beecher. You argued he wasn't and your main argument that Maccelli had done as much in the NHL as Beecher.

So let me ask you, what has Lohrei done in the NHL so far that makes you think he's proven people were wrong?

If the answer is "Nothing, but he's shown a lot at lower levels" that's fine.

Except you don't allow that argument against any guy who has shown more at lower levels than a B's prospect has.

Seems to be a shifting of logic and evidence here.
I think it's a pretty fair argument that at the very least Lohrei looks like good value where he went rather than the big reach he looked to be at first.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
All the same tropes when Frederic and DeBust were taken as well. Think a lot of people liked the consensus pick in Zboril too. Shows what we know on here.....
Right. And the whole pissing contest started because people were mad that others weren’t sufficiently negative about the pick. I still have no opinion about the pick I don’t know the guy. But I have blind faith because I’m not pissing and moaning about a player no one has seen play

Reactions: CDJ and NDiesel

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I think it's a pretty fair argument that at the very least Lohrei looks like good value where he went rather than the big reach he looked to be at first.
I think it's totally fair and I agree. Except the person arguing that didn't like that argument when used to compare a guy who HADN'T looked good post draft when compared to someone who HAD looked good post draft.

But I agree wtih you on Lohrei.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Lohrei looks promising but the draft is just three years ago. To early to tell. Locmelis was that huge of an reach like Pelosi? I remember different but also to early to tell.

... through trades.
Been looking for rankings of 2022 and I’m fairly certain nobody had anything on Locmelis. I found the consensus top 154 somebody compiled and he’s nowhere to be found. A later pick of ours Reid Dyck is though- 145th

Just found the 2022 central scouting rankings and unless I missed his name he wasn’t ranked among the top 140 INTERNATIONAL skaters!

Now he’s one of our better prospects. It’s only been a year. So like I’ve been saying- these guys don’t have time to see everybody! He is exhibit A. And also development isn’t linear.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad