Prospect Info: With the #86 pick, the Wild select (C) Alexander Khovanov (QMJHL, Moncton Wildcats)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That would be really fun
I may have misinterpreted, but the "get him some games this year" part seemed to involve Torch wringing his hands over a possible flight to the KHL. I'm not sure how seriously he meant it in regards to Khovanov, but there was a lot of "why play in the AHL waiting for a call-up when you can make $1m-$2m over in Russia?" Doesn't seem like it's really something to worry about here, but it's interesting to hear it from a guy that's been over there (briefly).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If the player has already come over to the CHL, I don't see them fleeing to the KHL unless they perceive that they don't have much of a shot at the NHL for the foreseeable future. If he thinks he deserves a spot in the NHL without playing any AHL time, then it smacks of entitlement and delusion. The AHL is a very good league that humbles a lot of NCAA and CHL prospects.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If the player has already come over to the CHL, I don't see them fleeing to the KHL unless they perceive that they don't have much of a shot at the NHL for the foreseeable future. If he thinks he deserves a spot in the NHL without playing any AHL time, then it smacks of entitlement and delusion. The AHL is a very good league that humbles a lot of NCAA and CHL prospects.
It sounded more like it has to do with making a million bucks a year in the KHL vs making 150k in the AHL

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Maybe it’s just confidence in his ability. One of the things I loved about Erik Haula was that he was cocky all the time. Life is a mindset, never forget that.

Reactions: P10p

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Khovanov is already under contract for the Wild. He can't sign in the KHL until his ELC is over, or terminated (which would be a dumb move by MN). The only thing he can do is play for the Russian national team in tournaments.

Reactions: TaLoN

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Khovanov is already under contract for the Wild. He can't sign in the KHL until his ELC is over, or terminated (which would be a dumb move by MN). The only thing he can do is play for the Russian national team in tournaments.
Pretty sure he can sign with the KHL as they don’t operate under a transfer agreement with the NHL

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
They don't have a transfer agreement, but respect each others contracts. That's why we couldn't sign Kap.
It comes down to the player respecting the contract. Kaprizov could play here currently theoretically. Look at Kovalchuk. He left with 13 years remaining on his deal

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It comes down to the player respecting the contract. Kaprizov could play here currently theoretically. Look at Kovalchuk. He left with 13 years remaining on his deal
He had to submit his retirement papers to the NHL to do so.

That voids the contract with the NHL, allowing the KHL to sign him.

You don't think Khovanov is going to submit retirement papers, do you?

In the end, he chose the lower pay route of the CHL vs going up into the KHL already. I don't think he's concerned about an AHL stop between. That's why he already signed his ELC with the Wild in the first place.

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
He had to submit his retirement papers to the NHL to do so.

That voids the contract with the NHL, allowing the KHL to sign him.

You don't think Khovanov is going to submit retirement papers, do you?

In the end, he chose the lower pay route of the CHL vs going up into the KHL already. I don't think he's concerned about an AHL stop between. That's why he already signed his ELC with the Wild in the first place.
Do you have to retire if you’ve never played a game?

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Kaprizov (with his own money) would have needed to buyout his contract with the KHL to have been able to sign with the Wild before this offseason. He could have chose not to play for his KHL team, and the Wild still couldn't have signed him until the contract was up.

The NHL and KHL do not have a transfer agreement so they can't sign players under contract with the other league.

The CHL, SHL, etc have transfer agreements it's why players can have a contract with each league.

Kovalchuk had to retire to go play in the KHL. That contract was an albatross and the NHL was happy to just have it go away, even if NJD did get some pretty harsh sanctions (initially). That contract and a few others (Parise/Suter) are the reasons there is the recapture penalty, contract length limits, and rules on the yearly pay structure.

Datsyuk retired with 1 year left on his deal and went to play in the KHL too.

Berglund quit on Buf last year, but he couldn't sign/play anywhere else until the contract was terminated or over.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Now, there are reports in Russia about a two-year contract for Khovanov in Ak Bars Kazan, but nothing is signed yet. See

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Now, there are reports in Russia about a two-year contract for Khovanov in Ak Bars Kazan, but nothing is signed yet. See
Yep, that story was addressed over here by Mike Russo. At first, incorrectly, but he eventually elaborated and said that Khovanov, who is under contract with the Wild, wishes to be loaned to a Ak Bars Kazan. The agreement between the NHL and KHL to not poach players who are under contract already from one another is the reason a deal isn't signed, yet. I don't see why the Wild would say no to that, unless they actually do want to use him in the NHL next year, or even this summer. I would personally expect him to need a bit more development time, so lending him to a KHL team would be a good thing in my eyes.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Yep, that story was addressed over here by Mike Russo. At first, incorrectly, but he eventually elaborated and said that Khovanov, who is under contract with the Wild, wishes to be loaned to a Ak Bars Kazan. The agreement between the NHL and KHL to not poach players who are under contract already from one another is the reason a deal isn't signed, yet. I don't see why the Wild would say no to that, unless they actually do want to use him in the NHL next year, or even this summer. I would personally expect him to need a bit more development time, so lending him to a KHL team would be a good thing in my eyes.
Yeah, but the message indicates it should be a two-year deal, not one-year. But it is not done yet.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah, but the message indicates it should be a two-year deal, not one-year. But it is not done yet.
If it's a loan, the Wild could call him back at any time if they want him in the NHL.

His NHL contract takes priority and the Wild would have to agree to loan him in any scenario.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
If it's a loan, the Wild could call him back at any time if they want him in the NHL.

His NHL contract takes priority and the Wild would have to agree to loan him in any scenario.
It is not how it works among the KHL & the NHL.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I get what you're saying, but I don't think any of us here can speak in an educated manner on how this would work. He's under contract in the NHL, and there is an agreement in place between the NHL and KHL to honor each other's contracts, even if that is basically just a hand shake deal, rather than a legally binding document. There is no transfer agreement, so there is no way the Wild could force Ak Bars Kazan to send Khovanov back until their season is over, so I think you're right about that part. If he plays in the KHL, it's for the full season. As for how many years he'd be loaned... if he's wanting to be loaned for 2 years, that may be why the Wild haven't agreed. I'm reasonably sure they'd be ok (but not happy) with loaning him for a single year, but I'm pretty sure he's in the Wild's plans moving forwards from there.

I had hoped to find some examples of players being loaned to KHL teams to clarify how it's worked in the past, but unfortunately, from the examples of players being loaned to KHL teams by NHL teams (Bogdan Yakimov and Maxim Mamin), the players stayed in the KHL for their career because they failed in the NHL and preferred to play at home instead of the AHL. I think Khovanov is pretty close to being a sure-fire NHLer in a year or two, so his situation is quite a bit different than theirs was.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe a two year contract with an out clause? Would be disturbing news if the intended timeline for Khovanov's arrival in the NHL was no earlier than 22-23, though. We are going to need C's sooner than that. If this is the way things play out, then it's a near certainty that Guerin will have to trade for a top 6C, probably using one of Dumba/Brodin as the main piece going back. Makes sense with the Seattle ED coming up.

I have trouble seeing Koivu and Staal being around for 21-22, never mind 22-23. As of now that leaves us with JEE, Rask...I can see the former being a 50 point C if given PP time...maybe...

Ugh. How did we ever get in such a mess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad