Prospect Info: With the #86 pick, the Wild select (C) Alexander Khovanov (QMJHL, Moncton Wildcats)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Also, in the comments of the article someone asked: do you see him as a first round talent in a redraft, and he said yes. So we basically just flipped Fjo, who we could’ve gotten in the 3rd round and Khovanov.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I’ll be interested to see if he gets a 9 game trial, and if so, where? You definitely don’t want him playing 4th line, so it’d likely mean we didn’t add a center over the summer and let Koivu go.
9 game trial is meaningless for Khovanov. He will be 20 in April

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Also, in the comments of the article someone asked: do you see him as a first round talent in a redraft, and he said yes. So we basically just flipped Fjo, who we could’ve gotten in the 3rd round and Khovanov.
considering we passed on veleno i just can't spin it that positive. im maybe too excited about how good khovanov can be! lets hope sokolov turns things around and we can watch kaprizov / khovanov / sokolov work some magic.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
considering we passed on veleno i just can't spin it that positive. im maybe too excited about how good khovanov can be! lets hope sokolov turns things around and we can watch kaprizov / khovanov / sokolov work some magic.
what about veleno is blowing you away to still be upset we passed on him?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’ll be interested to see if he gets a 9 game trial, and if so, where? You definitely don’t want him playing 4th line, so it’d likely mean we didn’t add a center over the summer and let Koivu go.

At least the good news with Khovanov is he'll be AHL eligible if he doesn't make the NHL team.
Wouldn't mind starting him in the AHL and having him be one of the first callups.

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
At least the good news with Khovanov is he'll be AHL eligible if he doesn't make the NHL team.
Wouldn't mind starting him in the AHL and having him be one of the first callups.
Seems like the likely option, unless he really blows people away at camp. But he should at least get a look at the team next year, which is exciting because it’s been a while since we’ve had a young guy to be excited about pushing into the team.

Reactions: AKL

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Seems like the likely option, unless he really blows people away at camp. But he should at least get a look at the team next year, which is exciting because it’s been a while since we’ve had a young guy to be excited about pushing into the team.

A Koivu decision is probably going to be made before he has a chance to.

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
A Koivu decision is probably going to be made before he has a chance to.
It will be made, and I doubt we re-sign him. I think it’s just a matter of if they can find a make-shift 2C to takeover (I.e. haula type) or if they think Khovanov/Sturm/Staal/Ek can hold down the fort. If they go with the latter, it could very quickly become a lose4LukeHughes situation.

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018

Khovanov’s team is one of the most stacked CHL teams I have ever seen after all their acquisitions. Khovanov is the headline of that team offensively too. Will be fun to if a good memorial cup tournament can raise the hype even more (if they make it of course).

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
At what point is Khovanov more exciting than Kaprizov? If only because he’s a center?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
At what point is Khovanov more exciting than Kaprizov? If only because he’s a center?
Until he repeats some of this success against 20+ year olds I don't think the two are all that comparable.

At the point when people start arguing that we should sell off NHLers so we can bring in Russians and make Khovanov more comfortable, we’ll know that he’s at least as exciting as Kaprizov
I can call a veterinarian, but I think that horse is probably dead.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I can call a veterinarian, but I think that horse is probably dead.

Nonsense, it’s alive and well, KSU and I were just discussing earlier today in Khovy’s thread on the prospect board.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Kaprizov clearly looked better at WJC, than Khovanov, and it's not even close. If our current team had Kaprizov instead of Khovanov, it'd have been so much more dangerous.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not trying to say that Khovanov is a better player right now or at the same age as Kaprizov, just saying that, depending on how you view each of their ceilings and likely outcome, having a center prospect like Khovanov might possibly be more exciting than the winger prospect in Kaprizov.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not trying to say that Khovanov is a better player right now or at the same age as Kaprizov, just saying that, depending on how you view each of their ceilings and likely outcome, having a center prospect like Khovanov might possibly be more exciting than the winger prospect in Kaprizov.
For the Wild specifically, I agree. A potential 2C is arguably as exciting as a potential 1RW. I just think Kaprizov is a lot closer to being a 1st line NHL winger than Khovanov is a 2nd line NHL center.

Not putting a ceiling on either at this point, though.

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Russo and Torchetti notes (Khovanov related):
  • Torch thinks Khovanov is a stud
  • Could get games at the end of the year
  • Has matured a ton
  • Needs to work on his diet

Reactions: zellmatic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad