Prospect Info: With the #86 pick, the Wild select (C) Alexander Khovanov (QMJHL, Moncton Wildcats)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Maybe a two year contract with an out clause? Would be disturbing news if the intended timeline for Khovanov's arrival in the NHL was no earlier than 22-23, though. We are going to need C's sooner than that. If this is the way things play out, then it's a near certainty that Guerin will have to trade for a top 6C, probably using one of Dumba/Brodin as the main piece going back. Makes sense with the Seattle ED coming up.

I have trouble seeing Koivu and Staal being around for 21-22, never mind 22-23. As of now that leaves us with JEE, Rask...I can see the former being a 50 point C if given PP time...maybe...

Ugh. How did we ever get in such a mess?
The KHL SPC does not include a release-clause. Never.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Maybe a two year contract with an out clause? Would be disturbing news if the intended timeline for Khovanov's arrival in the NHL was no earlier than 22-23, though. We are going to need C's sooner than that. If this is the way things play out, then it's a near certainty that Guerin will have to trade for a top 6C, probably using one of Dumba/Brodin as the main piece going back. Makes sense with the Seattle ED coming up.

I have trouble seeing Koivu and Staal being around for 21-22, never mind 22-23. As of now that leaves us with JEE, Rask...I can see the former being a 50 point C if given PP time...maybe...

Ugh. How did we ever get in such a mess?

Shepard didn’t pan out as an NHL player.

Granlund didn’t pan out as an NHL center.

We haven’t been able to snag a Brayden Point type in the later rounds.

We haven’t been bad enough to pick at the top of the draft.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Shepard didn’t pan out as an NHL player.

Granlund didn’t pan out as an NHL center.

We haven’t been able to snag a Brayden Point type in the later rounds.

We haven’t been bad enough to pick at the top of the draft.

We also apparently pissed off Haula, which is why he didn't want to sign back here. But hey! We got Staal!

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
If Ak Bars is pushing 2 years, i'd hope the Wild tell them to pound sand. Force Ak Bars to be reasonable with a one year loan, the KHL to blow up the agreement (verrrry risky given their new restrictive salary cap) or Khovanov to wait until the AHL starts up.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
If Ak Bars is pushing 2 years, i'd hope the Wild tell them to pound sand. Force Ak Bars to be reasonable with a one year loan, the KHL to blow up the agreement (verrrry risky given their new restrictive salary cap) or Khovanov to wait until the AHL starts up.
I am not sure you know the KHL rules. In case you do not know them, Khovanov is 20 years old, his salary would not be counted toward the salary cap in the KHL. In that regards, Ak Bars is risking nothing.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Guessing, you say: "NHL club decides to take a player under KHL contract & per se his KHL contract is voided & the player is coming to NHL the other day."

That is exactly how it does not work.

I just guess you say it, perhaps you say something different & I misunderstood you.
The Wild didn't take a player under a KHL contract. They drafted a player from the CHL, signed him to an NHL contract, when he had no other contact at all.

The NHL and KHL have an agreement to honor each other's contracts. The KHL knows he's under a NHL contract, so they know the only way he can sign in the KHL and play in the KHL is with the permission of the Minnesota Wild.

If the Wild say he needs to be in the NHL, that's where he'll be, because the KHL respects the contract he already has with the NHL.

Reactions: 57special

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I am not sure you know the KHL rules. In case you do not know them, Khovanov is 20 years old, his salary would not be counted toward the salary cap in the KHL. In that regards, Ak Bars is risking nothing.

I'm not talking about Khovanov's salary.

I'm saying the Wild play hardball and insist on only a 1 year loan. That leads to three possible outcomes.
1) Ak Bars relents to 1 year loan, gets the player for one year, Khovanov gets to start in September. Everyone wins.
2)Ak Bars doesn't relent. Khovanov doesn't get to play in the KHL, and has to wait for when the AHL starts up to play. Everyone loses, but the Wild lose a little less.

OR

3) The KHL breaks the agreement respecting contracts, and allows Ak Bars to sign Khovanov anyway. The KHL is having a hard cap this year for the first time I believe. Something like 14 million US. My understanding, is that is pretty restrictive for some of the top teams. If the KHL doesn't respect Khovanov's NHL contract, NHL teams can stop respecting KHL contracts. That wouldn't likely play out in the KHLs favor long term, due to differences in economics between the KHL and NHL (during normal times). Khovanov and Ak Bars win, the Wild and long term the KHL loses.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
@ThatGuy22

Agree that 1) & 2) are possible scenarios. But 3) is impossible per se.

@TaLoN

Agree with your 1st & 2nd paragraph. Regarding the 3rd, I can not agree, it does not work like that. If the Wild, Ak Bars & Khovanov agree that he can sign a two-year contract with Ak Bars, it means the Wild needs to honour his KHL contract.

I do not say about the situation when the Wild, Ak Bars & Khovanov do not agree to terms.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
@ThatGuy22

Agree that 1) & 2) are possible scenarios. But 3) is impossible per se.

@TaLoN

Agree with your 1st & 2nd paragraph. Regarding the 3rd, I can not agree, it does not work like that. If the Wild, Ak Bars & Khovanov agree that he can sign a two-year contract with Ak Bars, it means the Wild needs to honour his KHL contract.

I do not say about the situation when the Wild, Ak Bars & Khovanov do not agree to terms.

3 is not impossible. In America, the KHL and NHL agreement is always termed as a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in reports. There are legal distinctions between an MOU, Contract or Agreement. Specifically, an MOU is generally not enforceable by law. I cant say for a fact, but it's entirely likely either side can pull out of the MOU.

It may be unlikely (as it wouldn't serve the KHLs best interests), but it's not impossible.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
3 is not impossible. In America, the KHL and NHL agreement is always termed as a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) in reports. There are legal distinctions between an MOU, Contract or Agreement. Specifically, an MOU is generally not enforceable by law. I cant say for a fact, but it's entirely likely either side can pull out of the MOU.

It may be unlikely (as it wouldn't serve the KHLs best interests), but it's not impossible.
Both leagues are comfortable with the MOU. It is better than nothing.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I understand players decision to eager to get a spot anywhere in any good league because of the rona. Im not to worried considering he's already under contract so w.e he does will be worked out and either way he gets his development

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Apparently this conversation is moot anyway...

Wild notes: Carson Soucy is ready to go, latest Kirill...
Alex Khovanov KHL update

A report out of Russia on Tuesday that prospect Alex Khovanov may sign a two-year contract with Ak Bars (Kazan) is false, a Wild source and Khovanov’s agent said Tuesday.
If Khovanov signs — and the Wild have not agreed to allow him yet — it would be a one-year deal with the hope of the young center returning to North America once training camp begins next season for the Wild. However, because Khovanov would likely spend next season in the American Hockey League and the start to the next AHL season could be significantly delayed, the Wild are discussing whether to let Khovanov stay one full season in the KHL as long as he returns to the Wild for the 2021-22 season.
1yr deal or none.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Q&A: Wild GM Bill Guerin on Kaprizov, goaltending, playing...
Let me ask you about another Russian prospect, Alex Khovanov. I’ve talked to his agent and it looks like because we don’t know if the American Hockey League is going to start, you might loan him to his KHL team. Is that accurate?
Well, no, we’re speaking to them right now. We don’t know if it’s gonna happen or not. Alex is a high priority prospect for us. He’s a very good player. His desire is to play as soon as he can. He wants to play professionally. And we’re just trying to do what’s right for the prospect and sitting around from March to maybe December probably isn’t the best thing. So if there’s an opportunity for us to have him playing while we’re not, then we’ll do it. To be honest with you, we will be treating him kind of like a college prospect: You go and play your season, and if your season ends in March or April, then you can come and join us. It’s really not that unusual. But like I said, this whole situation (with the pandemic) has just thrown everything off. So, for him, we’re just looking at a bunch of different options.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
According to Russo Wild ave officially signed off on Khovanov signing in the KHL for 1 year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Only mildly disappointing. Khovanov was a longshot to make the team next year, and with the AHL iffy next year, the KHL is as good an option as any. Am i right in saying that Khovanov can not sign another contract to extend his KHL stay w/o the Wild's OK?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Only mildly disappointing. Khovanov was a longshot to make the team next year, and with the AHL iffy next year, the KHL is as good an option as any. Am i right in saying that Khovanov can not sign another contract to extend his KHL stay w/o the Wild's OK?
Yes. He is under contract with the Wild. This is a loan, despite Russo's earlier reporting that Khovanov could uni-laterally do it.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think this is good for his development. I’d have liked to see him join a very good Iowa team but this is a solid alternative. I don’t know what another year dominating the Q would have done for him. Hopefully he gets a fair shake in Kazan and they don’t bury him because he is a NHL “loan”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad