Prospect Info: With the #86 pick, the Wild select (C) Alexander Khovanov (QMJHL, Moncton Wildcats)

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Numbers didn't blow away this year but he has the potential to play a big role in a Fenton squad.

I watch him live a fair bit. He's talented. Lot of poise and clearly thinking a step ahead of most guys in the Q. He's undisciplined though and does a lot of diving, but that stuff will be ironed out as he grows up. Solid player. I assume he'll be back in the Q next year, and he should be pushing 90-100 points next year IMO.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Torch on Khovanov (been his coach since January)

“Great kid,” Torchetti told The Athletic by phone Tuesday. “Probably the last 12 games, he’s been one of our top forwards.”

“He’s a competitor,” Torchetti said. “Competes and wants to win, I can tell you that. He’s good on the power play. Really good vision and hockey sense. My penalty kill has improved incredibly by putting him on it.
“He’s definitely a great passer but he’d be a legit goal scorer if he hits the net. He’s probably missed four or five open nets. But he’s done a good job working on his D-zone coverage, so I can put him out there in the last 30 seconds of a game. He’s taken on the challenge. … The No. 1 thing I’ve talked to him about is being consistent. He’s done a great job here the last month doing it. But he works his butt off and has passion because teams come after him.”

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
after signing the elc contract does he have the option of going back to the Q or is he playing in iowa? when is he eligible to play in iowa?

Twoods1623

Jun 27, 2016
North Shore
This is just an educated guess, but I believe since he was drafted at 18 he has to play next year in the Q unless he's playing in the NHL. Dewar on the other hand could go to the AHL since this was his second time going through the draft.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
This is just an educated guess, but I believe since he was drafted at 18 he has to play next year in the Q unless he's playing in the NHL. Dewar on the other hand could go to the AHL since this was his second time going through the draft.
Correct. Have to be 20 to go to the NHL from CHL.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I really wish Minnesota had been able to grab Dorofeyev.
Me too. I had him as an Easy first rounder

We were able to grab him. He went a few picks after we took Beckman in the third. I can’t say why he fell, I would have been happy picking him, but I can’t say I’m upset about taking Firstov and Beckman instead.

For what it’s worth, his numbers aren’t great so far. 6 points in 33 KHL games. I know that’s not the be all end all of things. For comparison, Kaprizov had 27 points in 53 KHL games his D+1 year.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
We were able to grab him. He went a few picks after we took Beckman in the third. I can’t say why he fell, I would have been happy picking him, but I can’t say I’m upset about taking Firstov and Beckman instead.

For what it’s worth, his numbers aren’t great so far. 6 points in 33 KHL games. I know that’s not the be all end all of things. For comparison, Kaprizov had 27 points in 53 KHL games his D+1 year.
Yeah I think beckman and Firstov were solid picks. I just would’ve like to add dorofeyev . KHL production is goofy; his numbers are actually pretty good I think. For comparison, 2018 15A pick Denisenko has 8 points in 27 games this year in his d+2 and he killed it at the WJC last year.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

I'd rather have had Firstov, Dorofeyev and Beckman than Firstov, Jones and Beckman personally.

Also yeah Khovanov has been known to be provoked easily, so more PIMs than points makes sense.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Wheeler wrote an article on Khovanov, and everyone interviewed has very high praise for him.
'He can just take over': Wild prospect Alexander Khovanov...

“At the Canada-Russia Series, he was unbelievable and I think he can do it on that stage. Khovanov likes those big-stage moments, and I think he’s a guy that can certainly take over and have a big tournament,” Turner said. “Honestly, I think the kid has it all when it comes to skill set. He’s got soft hands, he’s got vision, he can wire it, and he can skate, too. When it comes to the skills, I think Khovanov has just about everything you need in an NHL player.”
Though Khovanov is known more as a playmaker than a scorer, Boyce called his one-timer incredible for his age.
“He can wait and suck in defenders and then make that pass to the open man. It’s just something that’s sort of on another level,” Boyce said. “But it’s an NHL-caliber shot, whether that’s his slap shot or just a quick along-the-ice wrist shot.”

If Khovanov keeps it up, everyone thinks a spot on the Wild roster next year isn’t out of the question.
The Moncton staff thinks he’ll be a star at hockey’s highest level in the same way he has become one at its under-20 level.
“It’s funny, when he wants to he can just take over a game. The hockey world was put on notice when the Canada-Russia series came to Moncton and Saint John and he was by far the best player on both teams,” Boyce said. “It’s unbelievable. He can just turn it on. He has played consistently like that for the first 28 games of the season.”

“I mean, he has been unbelievable for us this year. Even to start the year after having the back surgery and to come back and play the way he did, it’s been impressive,” Turner said.
“He didn’t miss a beat when he got back with us. That just speaks to the skill that the kid has. He’s an unbelievable talent, and I think everyone can see he’s got an NHL skill set.”

He's also apparently really solid defensively. There's a lot to be excited about here.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’ll be interested to see if he gets a 9 game trial, and if so, where? You definitely don’t want him playing 4th line, so it’d likely mean we didn’t add a center over the summer and let Koivu go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->