Prospect Info: With the #86 pick, the Wild select (C) Alexander Khovanov (QMJHL, Moncton Wildcats)

Status
Not open for further replies.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Yeah and I actually read the article now and he's being loaned specifically to a different team so that doesn't work.

My hopes and dreams squandered.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah and I actually read the article now and he's being loaned specifically to a different team so that doesn't work.

My hopes and dreams squandered.
The team he's being loaned to specifically, signed him. If since other team signed him that's where the loan would have been to.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
It's not the initial lack of production that is concerning, its the personal disputes with his teammates.
eh, I never heard he had problems with his junior team. I wouldn't go making a mountain out of a mole hill until I hear this is a consistent issue. Some players don't mesh well with certain coaches and teams. happens in the NHL a lot too. For instance Babcock and Barrie. Torts and half the league.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
eh, I never heard he had problems with his junior team. I wouldn't go making a mountain out of a mole hill until I hear this is a consistent issue. Some players don't mesh well with certain coaches and teams. happens in the NHL a lot too. For instance Babcock and Barrie. Torts and half the league.

I'm not giving up on him, but it's still not encouraging to see. Of course I don't know the details and can only speculate as to why he was having issues with his teammates.....but he's a rookie, and maybe I'm a little too old school, but rookies in any league should keep their eyes and ears open and their mouths shut. And maybe that's what he did and he had no fault in these disputes, hopefully that's the case.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I'm not giving up on him, but it's still not encouraging to see. Of course I don't know the details and can only speculate as to why he was having issues with his teammates.....but he's a rookie, and maybe I'm a little too old school, but rookies in any league should keep their eyes and ears open and their mouths shut. And maybe that's what he did and he had no fault in these disputes, hopefully that's the case.
I had to find an older interview I remember listening that I really liked from Chara, but I found an article on it instead.

Chara doesn't like the term 'rookie' and it's part of the Bruins' success

We are treating everybody the same way no matter if somebody is 18, or 40, or somebody has 1,000 games or is playing in their first game. We treat everybody with respect in the same way as everybody else in the locker room. I’ve said it many times. Since a very young age, I didn’t like the separation in a team between young players and older players, [or] players who have accomplished something or players that are just coming into the league. I don’t like to use the word ‘rookie.’ They are our teammates. I just don’t like to separate. I don’t think that’s the right thing to do. Once you’re a team, you’re a team regardless of the age, or accomplishments. We have to treat each other with respect and the same way.

I'm not saying this is an apples to apples situation, but since many would argue that Boston has the best lockerroom in the league maybe more teams should try and emulate them and their policies.

In the end this is all based on a "rumor" and until a more credible source comes out on this I'm not going to worry about it.

P10p

May 15, 2012

Along with what was posted above, you're making up the teammates part. It says literally nothing about his teammates.

It says he is having trouble with his team, which could simply mean the coach.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Along with what was posted above, you're making up the teammates part. It says literally nothing about his teammates.

It says he is having trouble with his team, which could simply mean the coach.

I did say that I was only speculating. And having trouble with his team, could also mean teammates and coach. We don't know. It's just not encouraging, that's all. In the end, in may turn out to be nothing. But I would rather he not have trouble with his team, whether that be a coach or player or locker room attendant.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I did say that I was only speculating. And having trouble with his team, could also mean teammates and coach. We don't know. It's just not encouraging, that's all. In the end, in may turn out to be nothing. But I would rather he not have trouble with his team, whether that be a coach or player or locker room attendant.
what if its a simple as politics in the lockerroom? coach could be playing one of the younger kids who didnt cross the sea even though khovanov has shown he is better and it rubbed him the wrong way and they clashed?

Reactions: Digitalbooya

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
what if its a simple as politics in the lockerroom? coach could be playing one of the younger kids who didnt cross the sea even though khovanov has shown he is better and it rubbed him the wrong way and they clashed?

We're all guessing here. And it probably is all about nothing....but if we see something like this pop up again, then there might be an issue.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Occams Razor is that he was courted by Ak Bars, likely with mgmt whispering sweet nothings into his ear and he had the expectation he would get minutes. Now that he's not, he's pissed.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Not surprised that a teenager who destroyed a Canadian junior league had a tough time adjusting to a Russian men’s league. He probably was arrogant and the coaches and veterans didn’t appreciate it.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013

this seems like a very distinct possibility

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
eh, I never heard he had problems with his junior team.

Actually, there were rumors that Moncton didn't want him back because he was a detriment to the team due to being a hothead (remember he got suspended for biting another player). Rumors of him being undisciplined has followed him around and I'm wondering if his attitude and his behavior in Aks is what got him demoted to the 4th line.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Actually, there were rumors that Moncton didn't want him back because he was a detriment to the team due to being a hothead (remember he got suspended for biting another player). Rumors of him being undisciplined has followed him around and I'm wondering if his attitude and his behavior in Aks is what got him demoted to the 4th line.

Pics(links) or it didn't happen...

Moncton didn't want a player who scored 2 points a game back? One that wasn't coming back anyways because he was 100% turning pro.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
interesting if true since John Torchetti his old coach liked him a lot when talking to Russo on straight from the source.

Straight From The Source with Michael Russo: Former Wild head coach John Torchetti looks back on his life in hockey. - The Athletic

Reactions: AJ Thelen

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Pics(links) or it didn't happen...

Moncton didn't want a player who scored 2 points a game back? One that wasn't coming back anyways because he was 100% turning pro.

First off, as I said rumors:

C Alexander Khovanov - Ak Bars Kazan, KHL (2018, 86th, MIN)

Secondly, there has been some criticisms of Khovanov being undisciplined or a hothead:

Alexander Khovanov – 2018 NHL Draft Prospect Profile

UNDER CONSTRUCTION (IMPROVEMENTS TO MAKE)

• Needs to work on his explosiveness
  • Could improve his faceoffs
  • Prone to taking undisciplined penalties

Wild prospect Alexander Khovanov continues to dominate the QMJHL

However, his skating still needs some work, along with his penchant for undisciplined penalties — both attributes are quite fixable.

Major Concerns Confronting the Moncton Wildcats

Alexander Khovanov will have to channel his sometimes selfish, anger driven attitude and undisciplined play to other parts of his game if he’s going to be an effective presence for the Cats this season.

There are much more on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of his teammates were tired of his antics and costing them games.

Edit: I'm going to edit this a little bit, but I can see the nuances of the top link and I was wrong. It was someone's opinion that Moncton didn't want him back and not an actual reporter. However, I am not wrong in saying that Khovanov has had a history of being undisciplined and hotheaded. If he turns out to be like Marchand, I guess cool?

interesting if true since John Torchetti his old coach liked him a lot when talking to Russo on straight from the source.

Straight From The Source with Michael Russo: Former Wild head coach John Torchetti looks back on his life in hockey. - The Athletic

Torchetti was also there for only like a season and a half. He was hired midway through the 18-19 season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->