Prospect Info: With the #86 pick, the Wild select (C) Alexander Khovanov (QMJHL, Moncton Wildcats)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Not sure if this article is reassuring to Wild fans......Sounds like he has a lot of maturing to do.
Yeah, The kid is clearly talented and has a real shot to be a great player but that article didn't make me feel better. The NHL is a step above everything. He can't be his own worse enemy if he wants to make it in the league.

It sounds like Torchetti really reached the kid and helped him develop, but now Khovanov doesn't return his calls or texts? I really hope the Wild can help him get to the next level and mature because he won't make it to the league if you need to treat him with child's gloves.

On another note this article and the older Russo podcast made me like Torchetti even more. Would love to get him back into the organization again.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You want him to be in the KHL, but there's nothing wrong with playing in the VHL (or ECHL) for a while. Those are good leagues, and quite a step up from junior. He'll still be playing against grown men.

There is a fine line between being passionate, and being a hothead that hurts himself and his team. I think Fiala had a bit of that going on, but received some guidance from guys like Koivu, Boudreau, and Evason. Most coaches want you to succeed.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
Until it becomes locker-room poison.

What gave me pause in Russo's article was that he hasn't responded to Torchetti's reach-outs.

From a very far distance it looks like the guy suffers from some type of mental health issues like most of us.

I can't speak for him but I can say not responding to calls or texts sometimes isn't done out of disrespect, malice, or laziness.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Hes a passionate player that wants to win no matter what but his issue is he believes his team who ever it is only have the best chance to win when he's on the ice, that their is the problem. Its a maturity thing that hopefully he can grow to understand better.

But hey I love that passion to win.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Certainly not the greatest of starts. With his vulnerability to health concerns, I hope that he doesn't catch Covid over there, or if he does that he is like most young people and shrugs it off. I suspect that Russia is in for a long winter, like many of us, when it comes to the virus.
Hockey wise, I still think it was a good decision to go somewhere he could play rather than be sitting around here. If he is any good, he should be able to overcome obstacles.

ctmagic

Jan 15, 2013
Can someone explain to my why Khovanov had a sudden uptick in yahoo adds today for fantasy? What the hell did I miss, I can’t find any news anywhere and he’s the 3rd most picked up player today...

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Can someone explain to my why Khovanov had a sudden uptick in yahoo adds today for fantasy? What the hell did I miss, I can’t find any news anywhere and he’s the 3rd most picked up player today...
People assume by him putting up points in a lower Russian league that he is gonna be the 1C for the wild? Maybe?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
So what's the plan for Khovanov next season, staying in Russia or will he be playing in Iowa?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, he's under contract to MN. He won't be able to play in Russia unless MN decides to loan him again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad