LeBrun: Winnipeg and Carolina interested in Manson, ask is 1st + top prospect

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Manson and drysdale make a great pair. Would love for him to stay in Anaheim.

On the other hand, there are a couple team manson could really help...Pittsburgh, Phili, etc
I don’t think drysdale will be playing with Manson once lindholm returns

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'd rather have Hakanpaa at this stage, for the Leafs. What's the ask on him?
I think hakanpaa is prob a better option for leafs due to cap situation and ufa... i really dont have a clue what a hakanpaa market would look like.

I cant imagine him getting a ton back... wishful thinking there was a bidding war and got a 2nd or a 3rd, realistically prob a 3rd or a 4th.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You’d have to be Dumba to pay that for Manson...:naughty::laugh:
i dont think BM even believes that pricing... but i think hes trying to get people to bid "lower" but realistically in the area hed like.

I also think waiting till draft to move rakell/manson isnt a bad idea... might lose a little potential value... but would likely have more teams interested.

Reactions: BatVader

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
If that’s the price, Manson better enjoy springtime in Anaheim, cause I sure wouldn’t pay a 1st AND a top prospect

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If that’s the price, Manson better enjoy springtime in Anaheim, cause I sure wouldn’t pay a 1st AND a top prospect

Would be happy with a Top prospect and maybe a 2nd, could care less about the pick to be honest. Manson will upgrade most playoff teams Top 4.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I could see Winnipeg being the favorite for Manson if Anaheim is willing to retain salary or take salary back. For that reason, Winnipeg may be willing to pay more in prospects and draft assets than other clubs for him. If the priority is to deal the salary whole without retainment, like the Rangers did with Brady Skjei, Carolina would be the favorite, because they're the only team that both wants a RHD and has the cap space to acquire him outright without Anaheim retaining salary. For that reason, though, Carolina has considerable leverage to find the package and player that they want, so they are more likely to trade with a team that is either strapped for cash or for cap space. Not sure about the ownership situation in Anaheim to make a judgment on what Anaheim wants to do with Manson.

Last edited:

Stumbling Jack

Jan 4, 2013
Valencia
This Kings fan has seen plenty of Manson over the years and he would be a valuable addition to a team making a cup run. With another year on his contract he should return a 1st which most folks have stated the obvious will be a late one.

As far as the prospect I can see a C to B level coming back as well but not a top one.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
As others have said, Manson isn't worth a 1st + A prospect, even with the extra year. Hardly an insult - he's a good player who brings high level physicality.

For my team (not that it means much), I wouldn't part with either one of those assets for Manson. I don't think he gets high enough on the depth chart for his cap hit, and unsure if he fits our system. I'd still be interested at the right price if the cap works, but definitely not giving up a 1st or Newhook (which likely means some or all ducks fans hang up). Plus, we don't have a 2nd, which further removes us from being a player here.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
As others have said, Manson isn't worth a 1st + A prospect, even with the extra year. Hardly an insult - he's a good player who brings high level physicality.

For my team (not that it means much), I wouldn't part with either one of those assets for Manson. I don't think he gets high enough on the depth chart for his cap hit, and unsure if he fits our system. I'd still be interested at the right price if the cap works, but definitely not giving up a 1st or Newhook (which likely means some or all ducks fans hang up). Plus, we don't have a 2nd, which further removes us from being a player here.
I don’t think any duck fans imagine he’s getting newhook type prospect.

I’d imagine something along the lines of
Timmins/helleson or barron being the prospect, draft pick prob 2022 2nd with some sort of conditional status or something, for the record idk where the av fans rank timmins helleson and barron

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO

Timmins/helleson or barron being the prospect, draft pick prob 2022 2nd with some sort of conditional status or something, for the record idk where the av fans rank timmins helleson and barron
If we can push the future out that far, I'm definitely listening. I think Timmins and Barron are pretty close in potential (all things considered) and I see them as B, B+ prospects. Helleson took a big step forward this past season adding some offense to his already plus defending - but he started out as probably a C prospect, maybe a B- now but he's definitely increased his stock.

I think I'd want to hold onto Barron the most out of the three. Timmins has the injury issues of the past still looming, which is why he's even available I suppose. I'd be open to either Timmins or Helleson + 2nd as a starting point. If there is retention included here and/or we can drop some cap like say JT Compher (the ever mentioned, though I think he's actually a decent player and is trending up), then I think there's a path. The problem is he's just about the only candidate there. Calvert might work, but we LOVE him and he's injured at the moment. Personally it makes my stomach hurt even considering jettisoning him. He's a valuable player when he can play especially come postseason. Take Compher and maybe the condition is winning the cup = 1st rounder? Idk, makes me nervous. Maybe another condition that it can only be a 2nd if Seattle takes him in the draft.

I think it complicates things for the expansion draft though, as I would guess Manson would be a quite enticing player on the bubble of our roster and Seattle would snap him up over a guy like Graves or Donskoi. He's a #4 IMO, but would be 5th fiddle on the Avs D. I'm no expansion draft wiz, so my fellow Avs would probably shoot me down here.

Can we somehow squeeze Ryan Miller out of there too? This is of course in my fantasy world where he agrees to the trade.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Winnipeg just called up Vesalainen from the Moose.

Perhaps they are looking to show case him this weekend. I would wager if that is the case they might be willing to do Ves plus a first.

Reactions: Getz2noone

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

Perhaps they are looking to show case him this weekend. I would wager if that is the case they might be willing to do Ves plus a first.
I’d say Vesa + 2nd with maybe another late pick

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Wheeler is out due to hit to head.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site

I would do Timmins + 3rd, especially if there is no hope for EJ to come back

CrosbyStaalsAndNash

Apr 25, 2014
winnipeg
Wow. Lucky for Anaheim, our top defensive prospect is actually available for the right player. Trading him would be a tough pill to swallow, but would be worth it to make it out of the North Division this year.

Niku+2021 2nd for Josh Manson.

Reactions: Nolan Giesbrecht

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Martinez went for 2 2nds as a rental+1 last year. Manson offers the more coveted style of play and handedness. He's closer to the Muzzin 1st + 2 B-prospects comp, particularly when the GM apparently loves the player.

If he gets dealt, it won't be a soft return. It will hurt to an extent.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I feel like, a year or two ago...people wouldn't have blinked at that sort of ask. But between injuries and just drop-off in his play for whatever reason, it definitely sounds a bit rich right now. Getting a physical, Top-4 RHD who can move the puck at the deadline though, with another extra year on his contract at a reasonable $$$ number...that's the sort of piece that always ends up in at least a small bidding war that can ratchet up the price.

Teams will find a way to justify that extra cost, because he's "not just a rental". And honestly, if he's healthy, and gets back toward the level he was playing at not so long ago, and finds the right fit wherever he lands...whatever team coughs that sort of package up, could still end up entirely satisfied with their purchase.

Also really depends on what exactly they mean by, "top prospect". That's always a pretty nebulous term when it gets thrown around. But i get the impression in this case, it's more in the sense of, "one of the team's top few prospects" more so than a "top 50 league wide" sort of prospect. But which end of the spectrum that actually falls, changes the composition and "value" of a deal pretty substantially. There's a lot of "wiggle room" in that definition. As well there probably should be at this stage, considering it's still fairly early stages of getting a deal put together. Behooves the Ducks to float a high asking price...but one loose enough that they can easily sell to fans later as, "we got what we asked for". Doesn't hurt for the acquiring team either, if they can later sell it as, "we got them for a bargain, less than they were asking". Play it both ways. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad