LeBrun: Winnipeg and Carolina interested in Manson, ask is 1st + top prospect

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
He’s 6th among Ducks dmen in TOI/G, and the Ducks don’t even have strong dmen. Plus he’s been absolutely ravaged by injuries. I really can’t see the argument for him being worth significantly more than a late 1st.

This years TOI isn’t that valid. He has clearly been top 4 on the Ducks when healthy. You might be right that his fair market value is a late 1st, but The Ducks don’t need to move him right now for fair market value. Bob Murray loves Manson. If no one wants to overpay now, Bob will just reevaluate after the Expansion Draft.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Why does Carolina need D? They have some of the best D in the league.

Their left-handed group is superb: Slavin, Skjei, Gardiner, Fleury, and Bean are all good NHL players. They only have Hamilton and Pesce, however, as true NHL righties. Both are great players, but it has meant that either Bean or Fleury has had to play his off-hand, with mixed results defensively-speaking. Not an issue in the regular season, but against Tampa in a 7-gamer? You can potentially see where they could exploit the lack of righties. Hence the potential Manson deal.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Why does Carolina need D? They have some of the best D in the league.

The 3rd pair (Bean and Fleury) were having a rough time last week but seem to have cleaned things up in the last 2 games. Gardiner looked fantastic early in the season but is now hurt and it seems like he might be shut down for the season. Personally, I'd rather look at a replacement for Teravainen but a husky tough d-man would definitely be a good fit. Canes are still a little bit soft compared to Tampa, Boston, Caps. And Manson being a RHD makes it even more perfect.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The 3rd pair (Bean and Fleury) were having a rough time last week but seem to have cleaned things up in the last 2 games. Gardiner looked fantastic early in the season but is now hurt and it seems like he might be shut down for the season. Personally, I'd rather look at a replacement for Teravainen but a husky tough d-man would definitely be a good fit. Canes are still a little bit soft compared to Tampa, Boston, Caps. And Manson being a RHD makes it even more perfect.

Gardiner was back skating a few days ago. He could be ready soon.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Just go after Brendan Smith for a 3rd / 4th rounder.

He has been solid for us this year. Cheap option. Will compliment an offensive dman well as he more defensive minded.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
I'd do a 2021 1st plus one of Niku, Torgersson or Lundmark but that's about as far as I'd go. Sounds like Chevy may have a name or two in mind we're not hearing about yet that he could be after.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
So does this mean Oleksiak is going to return 2 1st round picks? Not understanding how this guy is suddenly a 1st + top prospect 29 year old and who is an average D man.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I say this as a fan of a team who isn’t in the market for a dman - there is absolutely no f***ing way Manson returns a 1st and a top prospect. None. Unless your definition of “top prospect” is equivalent to most people’s definition of a weak prospect.

I can see him returning one of:
  • Late 1st
  • Good prospect, equivalent to a late 1st
  • 2nd + OK prospect (equivalent to roughly a 2nd/3rd)
People will try to draw parallels to the Muzzin trade, as they’re somewhat similar players (stylistically), similar age, similar contracts, and Muzzin returned 1st/Grundstrom/Durzi. However, Muzzin is/was way better than Manson, and way healthier. I’d say Muzzin’s value then was about double Manson’s current value, maybe more.

Also, the extra year of the contract is of dubious benefit due to the expansion draft.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
He’s 6th among Ducks dmen in TOI/G, and the Ducks don’t even have strong dmen. Plus he’s been absolutely ravaged by injuries. I really can’t see the argument for him being worth significantly more than a late 1st. He’s a quality 3rd pair dman, but a major injury risk.

Comparing him to Leafs dmen, I’d say he’s way closer to Bogo than Muzzin. I wouldn’t expect more than a high 2nd for Bogo, and Bogo’s contract is arguably better than Manson’s.

His TOI is skewed by only playing 14 games with two being 6 minutes and 10 minutes. He has averaged 19:49 in the past 7 games once getting healthy.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Easily understand Anaheim starting by asking for a lot. Teams like WPG and CAR will likely wait until the TD and see who blinks. Looks to be much more sellers than buyers so if the price stays high, I would see the buying team just moving on to a cheaper, more "depth" acquisition.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Easily understand Anaheim starting by asking for a lot. Teams like WPG and CAR will likely wait until the TD and see who blinks. Looks to be much more sellers than buyers so if the price stays high, I would see the buying team just moving on to a cheaper, more "depth" acquisition.
Bm should put the market high.... people don’t really seem to understand how bidding works.

sellers go high, buyers go low and you meet somewhere in the middle.... how dumb would BM look if he was like asking price is a 2nd and middle prospect, teams would know he was desperate and bid lower.

Obviously I don’t think Manson goes for 1st + “top prospect” but if bm could get 1 of those pieces + okay 2nd piece I’m okay with it

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Bm should put the market high.... people don’t really seem to understand how bidding works.

sellers go high, buyers go low and you meet somewhere in the middle.... how dumb would BM look if he was like asking price is a 2nd and middle prospect, teams would know he was desperate and bid lower.

Obviously I don’t think Manson goes for 1st + “top prospect” but if bm could get 1 of those pieces + okay 2nd piece I’m okay with it
supply and demand, not many owners are going to want to spend money if they are out of the playoffs during this time

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I still think the Jets aren't really going to be a factor because of Manson's NTC. That would narrow the field of buyers and might suppress the price, in which case I think ANA keeps him.

I think a lot of the rumours floating around arise from GMs trying to juice the market by making the buyer pool look more competitive than it might actually be.

Reactions: Huffer

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Manson and drysdale make a great pair. Would love for him to stay in Anaheim.

On the other hand, there are a couple team manson could really help...Pittsburgh, Phili, etc

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If a team is willing to pay that for Manson, what would they pay for Dumba?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Manson and drysdale make a great pair. Would love for him to stay in Anaheim.

On the other hand, there are a couple team manson could really help...Pittsburgh, Phili, etc
They are both RHD.... I don't want Drysdale playing his off side for his entire career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad