LeBrun: Winnipeg and Carolina interested in Manson, ask is 1st + top prospect

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Goodrow + SJ's 3rd got Tampa's 1st and a warm body. There is no way on God's green earth Manson alone is (should be) getting anyone's 1st; the Ducks will (should) have to kick in a pick similar to what San Jose did.
But the 2021 draft is worse than previous drafts and the way covid is effecting scouting is more noticeable this year due to the prospects having played last season and this season with interruptions & lockdowns.

A late 1st in 2021 is probably as good as the #37 overall pick in 2022 draft which is gonna be a great draft class with Wright and Lambert at the top.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Price seems way too high in what everyone knows will be a buyer's market. Good bet that this was from a source in Anaheim trying to drive up the price
my guess is its just from BM... and hes just trying to see if anyone will bite.. if not we hold onto him until the offseason... when more teams will be interested in him

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The Brenden Dillon trade would be a better comparable. Dillon @50% for a 2nd & 3rd.
Wasnt Dillon a UFA at the end of that season? i would imagine that alone makes manson a bit higher cost.
Goodrow + SJ's 3rd got Tampa's 1st and a warm body. There is no way on God's green earth Manson alone is (should be) getting anyone's 1st; the Ducks will (should) have to kick in a pick similar to what San Jose did.

Id argue Manson is a much better player than Goodrow... in a more important/tough to find position.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Wasnt Dillon a UFA at the end of that season? i would imagine that alone makes manson a bit higher cost.

I figure without retention on Manson it comes out about even, maybe upgrade the 3rd to a prospect worth more than a 3rd.

Last year was also a buyers market, this year is a sellers.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I figure without retention on Manson it comes out about even, maybe upgrade the 3rd to a prospect worth more than a 3rd.

Last year was also a buyers market, this year is a sellers.
I think the market changes based on supply... not sure how many dmen are realistically on the market right now?

The other thing is BM can put a price on Manson/Rakell and if people dont want to come to that ball park... that is perfectly okay... we can wait until draft to move them... more teams will be interested at that point which could potentially drive price up a bit more. Last thing BM should do is sell in a buyers market on players with contracts past this year.

Reactions: DaveG

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think the market changes based on supply... not sure how many dmen are realistically on the market right now?

The other thing is BM can put a price on Manson/Rakell and if people dont want to come to that ball park... that is perfectly okay... we can wait until draft to move them... more teams will be interested at that point which could potentially drive price up a bit more. Last thing BM should do is sell in a buyers market on players with contracts past this year.

Certainly. I could be wrong and/or Murray might not sell. I just don't think the asking price mentioned in the OP will be met at this years deadline.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Certainly. I could be wrong and/or Murray might not sell. I just don't think the asking price mentioned in the OP will be met at this years deadline.
Oh i agree... and i dont think BM believes Manson will get that much

I imagine hes hoping he could get 1 of those pieces + a lesser 2nd piece.

Example
Top prospect + 2nd-4th
1st + B prospect

When i say top prospect i more or less using it loosely as in a top 5 prospect on that team pool not their top prospect... not jarvis.. but maybe something like Rees/Gunler/Drury + 3rd with a conditon to make it a 2nd maybe.

Reactions: Korg

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The Brenden Dillon trade would be a better comparable. Dillon @50% for a 2nd & 3rd.
Agree.

Lol. Manson is worth a lot more than a late 1st in a weak draft.
If Josh Manson by himself is "worth a lot more than a late 1st in a weak draft" there's 12 guys on the block who are worth that as well.

I'm going to say "that's not true."

But the 2021 draft is worse than previous drafts and the way covid is effecting scouting is more noticeable this year due to the prospects having played last season and this season with interruptions & lockdowns.

A late 1st in 2021 is probably as good as the #37 overall pick in 2022 draft which is gonna be a great draft class with Wright and Lambert at the top.
By that measure, teams should be more than ready to deal 1st-round picks at this year's deadline - even in a buyer's market - because they're really not worth what they are in a "normal" year.

I'm going to say that won't happen.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->