LeBrun: Winnipeg and Carolina interested in Manson, ask is 1st + top prospect

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Not a chance I'd want my team moving a 1st for Manson, let alone a 1st+

I like his play style and he's a solid player, but does a team like Carolina really believe they would be contenders with Manson? (and not contender without him?)

I think the question about whether or not the Canes are a cup contender has been answered already. Without Manson, they’ve been a top 5 team basically all season. With him, they’d be better on their 3rd pair for sure, and they’d probably have a bit of insurance if Hamilton walks, depending on what Seattle does.

Now to the ask. It’s exorbitant.

I don’t see the Canes paying more for Manson than they did for Skjei, who had 4 more years of term. I don’t like the idea of giving up a 1st for him, but that may be what it takes if they really want him. One thing to keep in mind is that Johnston or Seravalli (can’t remember which) mentioned yesterday that while the Canes were in the market for an RD with term, their conversations with teams so far about potential trades have been short. If you put things together, I think you could reasonably assume that CAR inquired about Manson, a price was quoted and CAR said, no thanks.

perhaps they revisit things closer to the deadline

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think the question about whether or not the Canes are a cup contender has been answered already. Without Manson, they’ve been a top 5 team basically all season. With him, they’d be better on their 3rd pair for sure, and they’d probably have a bit of insurance if Hamilton walks, depending on what Seattle does.

Now to the ask. It’s exorbitant.

I don’t see the Canes paying more for Manson than they did for Skjei, who had 4 more years of term. I don’t like the idea of giving up a 1st for him, but that may be what it takes if they really want him. One thing to keep in mind is that Johnston or Seravalli (can’t remember which) mentioned yesterday that while the Canes were in the market for an RD with term, their conversations with teams so far about potential trades have been short. If you put things together, I think you could reasonably assume that CAR inquired about Manson, a price was quoted and CAR said, no thanks.

perhaps they revisit things closer to the deadline
I agree with everything you said

Just seems like an unneeded expenditure when they've already been a top 5 team with a solid defensive core

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I agree with everything you said

Just seems like an unneeded expenditure when they've already been a top 5 team with a solid defensive core

Well, it wouldn’t be a regular NHL season without the Canes acquiring a top 4 D they don’t really need.

Personally, I think this is the year they need to get over their aversion to rentals. Montour would be my preferred target or maybe a Demers, with retention. Can never have enough depth on D.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Well, it wouldn’t be a regular NHL season without the Canes acquiring a top 4 D they don’t really need.

Personally, I think this is the year they need to get over their aversion to rentals. Montour would be my preferred target or maybe a Demers, with retention. Can never have enough depth on D.
Yeah that'd be a good add, definitely cheaper as well

Reactions: Tryamw

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I kinda expected the canes on the Rakell wagon... I know they have offensive weapons.... but 1 more wouldn’t hurt

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
That's an overpayment and then you have to protect him or risk losing him in the expansion draft making him more of a rental.....

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Winnipeg just called up Vesalainen from the Moose.

Perhaps they are looking to show case him this weekend. I would wager if that is the case they might be willing to do Ves plus a first.
Vesalainen isn't likely to play a game. He's been called up to the taxi squad because Wheeler is injured. Harkins is replacing Wheeler in the line-up.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I kinda expected the canes on the Rakell wagon... I know they have offensive weapons.... but 1 more wouldn’t hurt
I think we circled in on that one at one point. No idea on what the holdup was.

FWIW Manson does make a lot of sense for Carolina, but IMO it actually makes more sense after the ED. Protect Bean, Slavin, and Pesce, if Seattle grabs Dougie as a UFA circle back on talks with Anaheim regarding Manson. If Francis takes say Fleury but you're unable to come to terms with Hamilton and he's going to test UFA, make the trade with Anaheim. The only reason to do it now is if you're trying to keep someone else from grabbing him and you have a deal in place with Seattle already to solve the salary issue on your back end at the ED anyway.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Bean IMO will be protected. The protection list, by almost all accounts, will probably be Slavin, Pesce, and Bean. I wouldn't be surprised if Fleury goes the other way in a potential Manson deal. Something like Geekie + Fleury + 2021 3rd IMO sounds about right for Manson. Either that or simply Fleury + 2021 1st. I see the Canes protection list as being pretty solidified at this point: Aho, Svechnikov, Teravainen, Trocheck, Niederreiter, Staal, Fast, Slavin, Pesce, Bean, Nedeljkovic. That leaves Skjei, Fleury, Foegele, Gardiner, Geekie, and Lorentz as the exposed group. Skjei, at least IMO, is probably the most appealing to Seattle, though a case could be made for either Fleury or Foegele. A Geekie/Fleury/Manson swap would essentially make Seattle's decision for them, however. Seattle would take either Manson or Skjei (probably the former to keep them cap-flexible) and leave the other guy alone to keep the Canes depth strong.

Thanks for the insight!! :thumbu:

The Canes always seem to have something up their sleeve so hopefully they make an interesting trade by the deadline lol

Reactions: DaveG

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I think we circled in on that one at one point. No idea on what the holdup was.

FWIW Manson does make a lot of sense for Carolina, but IMO it actually makes more sense after the ED. Protect Bean, Slavin, and Pesce, if Seattle grabs Dougie as a UFA circle back on talks with Anaheim regarding Manson. If Francis takes say Fleury but you're unable to come to terms with Hamilton and he's going to test UFA, make the trade with Anaheim. The only reason to do it now is if you're trying to keep someone else from grabbing him and you have a deal in place with Seattle already to solve the salary issue on your back end at the ED anyway.

Manson is arguably needed now, though, to stabilize the 3rd pairing and give the coaches flexibility to move Hamilton out of the Top 4 in important defensive situations.

The Canes are going to lose something of value to Seattle no matter what. I don't think it's a pressing consideration in what they do. If Manson is acquired and taken by the Kraken, that means what they would have lost in the absence of acquiring him stays. The equation potentially is a 1st + prospect for 1 playoff run of Manson (has as much value as a rental Savard) + say Skjei. As long as the kicker is not a true "top prospect" at the end of the day, there's nothing wrong with that.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I really have never been impressed with him. He brings some grit and he’s good defensively, but come on with that ask

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I know they aren’t mentioned by Friedman but I would entertain a 1st rounder + for Manson as an Avalanche fan if Anaheim was also willing to take back Compher’s salary.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
That's an overpayment and then you have to protect him or risk losing him in the expansion draft making him more of a rental.....

Assuming the prospect is not a true “top prospect”, but rather a good one, I would be happy if the Jets did that trade and not protect him for the expansion draft.

- we get a much needed rental
- we would likely lose one of DeMelo and Stanley anyways; if we get Manson, we get to keep two of the three, which I am good with

Reactions: Getz2noone

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
People in here acting like big physical right handed D that can skate and move the puck well are easy to find.

Yeah, I think the ask is fine from Anaheim. However I can understand that teams are wary of giving that much up because of the expansion draft. Most contenders already have 3D they want to protect. In Carolina's case though, I think they should be going after a winger not a D. Their D is already amazing.

Reactions: DaveG

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The Canes D certainly is regular season amazing but I'm not sure it's playoffs amazing. We don't have a single guy back there I look at and say "Yeah, he'll go clear the crease." Edmundson was that guy last year and they got a lot of mileage out of it, then they let him walk.

Pesce is the closest thing to a "tough guy" back there, and even he is way more finesse than his reputation. Physical in his own way, like Slavin, but not playoff nasty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad