LeBrun: Winnipeg and Carolina interested in Manson, ask is 1st + top prospect

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Manson's play doesn't warrant that kind of return any more.

If you've watched him in the last 2-3 weeks you wouldn't be saying that. Drysdale has arguably been the best D but Manson has been a close 2nd. Scouts would notice that for sure.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'd focus more on the prospect than the pick. Ducks have plenty of guys that fill the role a late 1st round pick is likely going to be (middle 6 guy). They need a guy that can be a top line player (most likely not happening for Manson unless it's a guy that breaks out after the trade), the more likely deal would be for a guy that will be a solid second pair RHD behind Drysdale. Hope this year's first and/or Lindholm are that top pair LHD for a while, several guys in the system that have varying chances of being a second pair LHD and build the top line around Zegras.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Jets would need to protect him? Seems like a dumb move due to the expansion draft ....rather get a cheaper pure rental

Reactions: hn777

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think a 1st is a bit steep, but would offer one if the Ducks send a later pick back. Maybe this would work......

To EDM: Manson, 2021 3rd

To ANH: 2021 1st, Bear, Chiasson (cap purposes)

Oct 18, 2011
The good news is for whoever's gets him Manson has gotten back to being what made him such a good player and has stopped thinking he's Karlsson

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He'd be ideal in Winnipeg. He'd shore up what is really a pretty terrible top four d. They could then drop some lesser lights down or out of the lineup.

Reactions: BatVader

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I’d give vesa and a 2nd

He'd be ideal in Winnipeg. He'd shore up what is really a pretty terrible top four d. They could then drop some lesser lights down or out of the lineup.
Assuming he’d waive to go to Winnipeg,
Manson would cost the Jets, Vesa + 2x 2nds + Niku
Vesa + ‘21 2nd for Manson
‘22 2nd for Seattle to take Niku instead of Stanley

Jets protect Morrissey, Manson, and Pionk on D

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

At ~15:15, Seravalli says "I believe Winnipeg is on Josh Manson's no trade list."

He also thinks Carolina won't happen at the ~5:15 mark for reasons not specified.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

At ~15:15, Seravalli says "I believe Winnipeg is on Josh Manson's no trade list."

He also thinks Carolina won't happen at the ~5:15 mark for reasons not specified.

He could be speculating that the leak of the aborted Faulk-Kase trade talks apparently didn't sit well with the Ducks which could affect any future trades between the two teams. Not sure if that has any factual basis though.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
That feels like a reach. It would be pretty silly for something like that to get in the way of getting the best deal for your organization. Carolina traded Edmundson's rights a year after the Aho offer sheet.

The easier explanation is that Murray is asking for too much and/or Waddell is looking for a bargain.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The other name that has come up in Canes talks is apparently Sean Walker. I know that he's had a -12 ever since he signed a 4 year extension, but I thought that the problem in LA's defensive group was MacDermid and not Walker. This seems like the Canes sniffing for another buy-low.

Reactions: Tryamw

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The other name that has come up in Canes talks is apparently Sean Walker. I know that he's had a -12 ever since he signed a 4 year extension, but I thought that the problem in LA's defensive group was MacDermid and not Walker. This seems like the Canes sniffing for another buy-low.

Walker is pretty much the opposite of Manson, no? The Canes like Manson as a big, experienced, defensive D to act as a safety net to Jake Bean.

I haven't watched a lot of Walker but he appears to be a small, offensive-minded D who lacks NHL experience. That would be putting a smaller Jake Bean next to Jake Bean.

Reactions: DaveG

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Walker is pretty much the opposite of Manson, no? The Canes like Manson as a big, experienced, defensive D to act as a safety net to Jake Bean.

I haven't watched a lot of Walker but he appears to be a small, offensive-minded D who lacks NHL experience. That would be putting a smaller Jake Bean next to Jake Bean.

Walker has more NHL experience than you are giving him credit for but he has not had a good season this year at all. Played very well the 1st half of last year but started trending down in the 2nd half. As you said small but excellent skater. No playoff experience.

Last edited:

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
As a ducks fan my first impression was that is a big overpayment but thinking it through a bit he has played very well this year and the physicality he provides would be hugely valuable in the playoffs. A late first and a top prospect for an extremely cheap and dramatic boost for a long playoff run isn't the worst.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Price seems way too high in what everyone knows will be a buyer's market. Good bet that this was from a source in Anaheim trying to drive up the price

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Goodrow + SJ's 3rd got Tampa's 1st and a warm body. There is no way on God's green earth Manson alone is (should be) getting anyone's 1st; the Ducks will (should) have to kick in a pick similar to what San Jose did.

The Brenden Dillon trade would be a better comparable. Dillon @50% for a 2nd & 3rd.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Price seems way too high in what everyone knows will be a buyer's market. Good bet that this was from a source in Anaheim trying to drive up the price

It’s not so much that they are trying to drive up the price, it’s just this is the way Ducks management has always felt about Manson. They love his game a lot, and will happily keep him unless a great offer is made.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
He could be speculating that the leak of the aborted Faulk-Kase trade talks apparently didn't sit well with the Ducks which could affect any future trades between the two teams. Not sure if that has any factual basis though.

Or, more likely, the Canes balked at the ask.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Goodrow + SJ's 3rd got Tampa's 1st and a warm body. There is no way on God's green earth Manson alone is (should be) getting anyone's 1st; the Ducks will (should) have to kick in a pick similar to what San Jose did.

Lol. Manson is worth a lot more than a late 1st in a weak draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad