LeBrun: Winnipeg and Carolina interested in Manson, ask is 1st + top prospect

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Manson doesn’t get much exposure playing on the west coast but he is a real difference maker for the playoffs and is a RHD besides. SOmeone will overpay.
Teams are going to wonder about the injury, and whether he'll stay healthy. That will likely be a factor on the price.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Teams are going to wonder about the injury, and whether he'll stay healthy. That will likely be a factor on the price.
Eh you can prob do a good prospect + 2nd with conditional first if he plays a certain percentage of games

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I don't like the Insiders using that language because I think they're just trying to say "merely" a good prospect and we interpret it as the best one. Like, if it's Carolina, I wouldn't think Anaheims asking for Seth Jarvis but someone a step down from that. But I dunno, maybe Murray really does love Manson more than another GM loves their wife.
yeah everyones definition of "top prospect" is different. no chance its a Jarvis level guy

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I wouldn’t be so sure of that. He has ties to Winnipeg. His dad played in winnipeg and was quite happy there. Josh lived in the peg as a child.
From the jets I’d be fine if the price is a 1st and Chisholm. Would have a harder time stomaching at Samberg and if they asked for Heinola or Perfetti I’d just hang up the phone.

Truenorthducky

Oct 10, 2020
From the jets I’d be fine if the price is a 1st and Chisholm. Would have a harder time stomaching at Samberg and if they asked for Heinola or Perfetti I’d just hang up the phone.
What people don’t understand is Chevy is not giving away Perfetti Henola or Samburg no matter what. They don’t trade away top end prospects.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
What people don’t understand is Chevy is not giving away Perfetti Henola or Samburg no matter what. They don’t trade away top end prospects.

The whole "Top prospect" thing is super subjective because different teams have different levels of depth in their prospect pool. People keep referencing the Muzzin deal because they got a 1st + Toronto's 3rd and 5th best prospect. Well, their 3rd best prospect was a guy they drafted in the second round the prior year and their 5th best prospect was drafted in the 2nd round the year before that. So those were top prospects for the Leaf but their pool was super shallow.

For the Jets our 1st and previous 2 2nds is: 1st + Torgerson + Lundmark. Any thought of Perfetti, Heinola or Samberg are easy declines as 1 for 1 deals, never mind adding a high pick on top. Then we have to pay off Seattle to not pick them so we need to factor that cost into the trade as well.

If the price was 1st + good but not our elite prospects I'd think about it but I'd also be talking to Columbus about Savard, Dallas about Klingberg, Buffalo about one of their RD, Chicago about Murphy or Zadorov, etc to see where the market was softest. The reality is there aren't that many teams that can even add at the deadline due to the flat cap, owners not willing to take on more salary, no positional need, being on the bubble, etc. Someone trades for Manson and suddenly there's a lot less competition for Savard...

Deadline is less than a week away. I'm fine with us standing pat.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wouldn’t be so sure of that. He has ties to Winnipeg. His dad played in winnipeg and was quite happy there. Josh lived in the peg as a child.
It's probably more about his wife, and I think they have a young child. Not sure they'd be thrilled...

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
It's for expansion reasons. Seattle likely takes Skjei if Manson isn't acquired. A Manson deal keeps the depth strong before Seattle, so that Seattle goes for Manson and leaves Skjei alone to keep honing his game with Pesce.

Makes sense, you don't think they'd take Bean or Fleury instead though? They seem to be progressing really well and have team control

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Makes sense, you don't think they'd take Bean or Fleury instead though? They seem to be progressing really well and have team control

Bean IMO will be protected. The protection list, by almost all accounts, will probably be Slavin, Pesce, and Bean. I wouldn't be surprised if Fleury goes the other way in a potential Manson deal. Something like Geekie + Fleury + 2021 3rd IMO sounds about right for Manson. Either that or simply Fleury + 2021 1st. I see the Canes protection list as being pretty solidified at this point: Aho, Svechnikov, Teravainen, Trocheck, Niederreiter, Staal, Fast, Slavin, Pesce, Bean, Nedeljkovic. That leaves Skjei, Fleury, Foegele, Gardiner, Geekie, and Lorentz as the exposed group. Skjei, at least IMO, is probably the most appealing to Seattle, though a case could be made for either Fleury or Foegele. A Geekie/Fleury/Manson swap would essentially make Seattle's decision for them, however. Seattle would take either Manson or Skjei (probably the former to keep them cap-flexible) and leave the other guy alone to keep the Canes depth strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: grapes55 and DaveG

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I say this as a fan of a team who isn’t in the market for a dman - there is absolutely no f***ing way Manson returns a 1st and a top prospect. None. Unless your definition of “top prospect” is equivalent to most people’s definition of a weak prospect.

I can see him returning one of:
  • Late 1st
  • Good prospect, equivalent to a late 1st
  • 2nd + OK prospect (equivalent to roughly a 2nd/3rd)
People will try to draw parallels to the Muzzin trade, as they’re somewhat similar players (stylistically), similar age, similar contracts, and Muzzin returned 1st/Grundstrom/Durzi. However, Muzzin is/was way better than Manson, and way healthier. I’d say Muzzin’s value then was about double Manson’s current value, maybe more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57special

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Ducks management isn’t interested in moving him for any of that meh. They obviously value him a lot higher than the average NHL fan does.

I see Carolina offering, at the absolute max in a bidding war, Geekie + Fleury + 2021 1st for Manson. Ideally, though, I'm sure that they're holding out for something a bit less than that.

Reactions: Tryamw

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Ducks management isn’t interested in moving him for any of that meh. They obviously value him a lot higher than the average NHL fan does.
He’s 6th among Ducks dmen in TOI/G, and the Ducks don’t even have strong dmen. Plus he’s been absolutely ravaged by injuries. I really can’t see the argument for him being worth significantly more than a late 1st. He’s a quality 3rd pair dman, but a major injury risk.

Comparing him to Leafs dmen, I’d say he’s way closer to Bogo than Muzzin. I wouldn’t expect more than a high 2nd for Bogo, and Bogo’s contract is arguably better than Manson’s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad