LeBrun: Winnipeg and Carolina interested in Manson, ask is 1st + top prospect

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Carolina's likely going to wait for the price to go down, but the Canes board has been mentioning Manson as a possible fit. Worth giving a call or two, though I will say that they have the farm system necessary to make a deal without mortgaging the future.

Reactions: Tryamw

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Carolina's likely going to wait for the price to go down, but the Canes board has been mentioning Manson as a possible fit. Worth giving a call or two, though I will say that they have the farm system necessary to make a deal without mortgaging the future.

I'm surprised the canes would be interested in another dman with term, I guess for expansion/dougie hamilton insurance?

Reactions: Tryamw

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Manson seems to be injured all the time but I really like his game when fully healthy. Can play the nasty/physical game but is really underrated when it comes to the offensive side of things as well. Asking price is always high but this guy is the real deal imo.

Reactions: Bek

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm surprised the canes would be interested in another dman with term, I guess for expansion/dougie hamilton insurance?

Philosophical opposition to rentals, too. The alternative to Manson in that 2nd pairing defensive RHD space is Savard. He's going to cost the equivalent of 2nd+2nd or 2nd+3rd type value. Manson will be more expensive, but comes with the extra year. Theoretically, the Canes could trade out of him in the Summer and recoup much of the value lost.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I highly doubt the Jets are a real contender. Manson would likely nix a trade to Winnipeg. This is more likely smoke to try to raise the price for other teams.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I wouldn’t pay that as a Jets fan for him, reasoning is Manson just puts the Jets into the mix in the North but isn’t enough to make them the clearly best team in the North never mind the NHL so no point doing it IMO.

If Chevy wants to reward roster guys with a TDL add then aim lower & cheaper.....don’t be trading a 1st or a top prospect.

Reactions: SCP Guy and hn777

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

It's for expansion reasons. Seattle likely takes Skjei if Manson isn't acquired. A Manson deal keeps the depth strong before Seattle, so that Seattle goes for Manson and leaves Skjei alone to keep honing his game with Pesce.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
He could easily get a 1st considering he has an extra year on his deal. Retention adds value. Doubt theres a "top prospect" on top of that though

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
Can Easily be doing this so “top prospect” ends up being somebody undervalued by their team. Then the pick is negotiated

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Manson can return a 1st+ especially if Anaheim retains to get a team tight to the cap the means to add a playoff type top 4 rd. Stat watchers will say overpayment but GM’s know the value his type adds to a playoff bound club

Reactions: TheGhost

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Manson can return a 1st+ especially if Anaheim retains to get a team tight to the cap the means to add a playoff type top 4 rd. Stat watchers will say overpayment but GM’s know the value his type adds to a playoff bound club

Carolina would likely take the contract outright. They have between $8M-$9M in cap this trade deadline.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Carolina would likely take the contract outright. They have between $8M-$9M in cap this trade deadline.

Sure but there will be multiple suitors for Manson and some club might be more than willing to up the offer for him. 1 yr retained is pretty much nothing but could net another asset if said club has their hands tied cap wise.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Manson doesn’t get much exposure playing on the west coast but he is a real difference maker for the playoffs and is a RHD besides. SOmeone will overpay.

Reactions: Get North
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
He could easily get a 1st considering he has an extra year on his deal. Retention adds value. Doubt theres a "top prospect" on top of that though

I don't like the Insiders using that language because I think they're just trying to say "merely" a good prospect and we interpret it as the best one. Like, if it's Carolina, I wouldn't think Anaheims asking for Seth Jarvis but someone a step down from that. But I dunno, maybe Murray really does love Manson more than another GM loves their wife.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad