Winning streak ends. Habs lose 4 - 2

LaFloater

Jan 23, 2014
Burlington
A very bad combination of stupid penalties and terrible reffing. Sure Subban poked at the TB player as he went to the bench, but it was hardly a spear or anything major. And FFS the Tb player should have been given a penalty for interfering with Markov (DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE REF). Just ridiculous. Besides the usual inept reffing what scared me about this game was that price really resembled what he looked like early in his career, when he would have terrible trouble finding the puck after a stop. At least 2 of the goals were directly caused by losing sight of a rebound and being clueless about puck location. That is something that Price has really improved over the last few years. Anyway its time to forget about this cluster f$%K of a performance and get on to the next game.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
A very bad combination of stupid penalties and terrible reffing. Sure Subban poked at the TB player as he went to the bench, but it was hardly a spear or anything major. And FFS the Tb player should have been given a penalty for interfering with Markov (DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE REF). Just ridiculous. Besides the usual inept reffing what scared me about this game was that price really resembled what he looked like early in his career, when he would have terrible trouble finding the puck after a stop. At least 2 of the goals were directly caused by losing sight of a rebound and being clueless about puck location. That is something that Price has really improved over the last few years. Anyway its time to forget about this cluster f$%K of a performance and get on to the next game.

He had trouble finding the puck all night. It affected his timing and positioning.

It's a rare occurrence these days. I was way more concerned about the lack of team defense.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
To me it was a good loss.

A good loss in the sense that great lessons can be learned from this game.

It is apparent that any Cup run in the near future will have to go through the stacked TBL.

Can't wait for Sherbak and McCarron to arrive! :yo:

Nynja*

There are so many ways to dump a puck in, that simply knowing one is coming shouldn't make THIS much difference. I see other teams produce tonnes of dump-ins that at least become 50/50 puck battles.

Because with other teams they have to respect either dump or carry in. How often do the habs carry in?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
It's what I feared would happen. THe Habs may be better than the Bruins but I grudgingly admit that they aren't as good as the Lightning. Bergevin has done a lot to upgrade the team but he has more to do. It's not hius fault. The Lightning sucked for a few seasons and brought in some great prospects while the Habs had only one high pick in recent years.

68*

They simply wanted it more than us. They are still mad about the loss in the playoffs and we got too comfortable after winning 6 straight.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Because with other teams they have to respect either dump or carry in. How often do the habs carry in?

It's not just that, though. Hammering it around the boards every time is what gets not only predictable, but requires no one except the goalie to stop and move the puck. It's like no one on the team even attempts to strategically place pucks anywhere behind defenders that gets their backs turned. On top of that, dump-ins are wasted even more if your response to not recovering them is to allow the opposition to gain the neutral zone unopposed in transition.

You want a drinking game? Take a shot every time a Habs dump-in takes 2 touches or less to clear the zone.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's what I feared would happen. THe Habs may be better than the Bruins but I grudgingly admit that they aren't as good as the Lightning. Bergevin has done a lot to upgrade the team but he has more to do. It's not hius fault. The Lightning sucked for a few seasons and brought in some great prospects while the Habs had only one high pick in recent years.

That's a case of grass being greener elsewhere. We played terrible. Case closed. It's a bad game, that's it.

Nynja*

That's a case of grass being greener elsewhere. We played terrible. Case closed. It's a bad game, that's it.

Bad game against the top dog of our division...2 bad games out of 2. Thats not a good thing.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Bad game against the top dog of our division...2 bad games out of 2. Thats not a good thing.

It's also completely irrelevant. The first game was just a blowout and those tend to be just a random event.
Tonight's game, we were on the road since the 22-23rd of december, an undefeated one on top of it. First game back, everybody looks pretty off. It's not overly surprising.

We went 8/8 one year versus Boston and then they took us to Game 7. That year we were the top seed while they were at the bottom (or 2 vs 7).

As I said, it's irrelevant. Just a bad game.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Subban has become the whipping boy for the French media, as well as some less intelligible English media guys (...Marinaro).

What's sad is most casual fans I know end up believing these ********** and tell me that Subban is having a horrible season, is selfish, doesn't play a team game, is overpaid, etc. etc.

The fact of the matter is is that this guy is the teams best player by a wide margin (aside from Carey of course). When it comes to winning, no other skater is more important than PK. He's made incredible strides in terms of his defensive game while maintaining his 50-60 point pace.

I fail to understand why the best players on the team are always the whipping boys.. PK, Patches (too soft, blamed for the duo's lack of production instead of DD), Kovalev, Price back in the day, Koivu for his linguistics, etc.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
First time they've lost after scoring first.

Yup, not sure how many realized it after the loss.

I think we were 14-0 or 15-0 when scoring first (pretty good achievement).

The positive:
We're 15-1 when scoring first...not bad...not bad at all!!
(or 14-1!).

P.S.:
to those bashing Subban...I don't like those penalties either (he has got to cut down on penalties or know when to take one...rarely!), but...when it comes down to it (ex: playoffs) it's all about Price and Subban...and the rest will follow them (ex: playoff warriors like Weise, etc).

Last edited:

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Games like these really can tell you a lot about your future captain.

Subban: cost us the game with his 2 stupid penalties
Pacioretty: tried to wake up the team, scored a goal, maybe the only player who cared.

Enough said. Subban is our #1 D but he's simply not captain material.

ninjagaiden

Oct 1, 2014

Pacioretty: tried to wake up the team, scored a goal, maybe the only player who cared.

pacioretty took a dumb cross checking penalty too

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
pacioretty took a dumb cross checking penalty too

True, but that was more of a battle with another player. Subban took a penalty from the BENCH!!! If only he showed the same intensity on the ice.

And at least Pacioretty went out and scored early in the third to give us a chance.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Subban has become the whipping boy for the French media, as well as some less intelligible English media guys (...Marinaro).

What's sad is most casual fans I know end up believing these ********** and tell me that Subban is having a horrible season, is selfish, doesn't play a team game, is overpaid, etc. etc.

The fact of the matter is is that this guy is the teams best player by a wide margin (aside from Carey of course). When it comes to winning, no other skater is more important than PK. He's made incredible strides in terms of his defensive game while maintaining his 50-60 point pace.

I fail to understand why the best players on the team are always the whipping boys.. PK, Patches (too soft, blamed for the duo's lack of production instead of DD), Kovalev, Price back in the day, Koivu for his linguistics, etc.

The casual Habs fans watch 10-15 games a year + playoffs and just repeat whatever the hell they hear and make it sound like they have an opinion. It's all BS, unfortunately we have a very large casual fan base.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Aaaaanyway, PK rules. He had a bad game and so did most of the team, big ****ing deal. I'm still confident we can beat TB in a best of seven series, the Habs have shown they have an extra gear when the real season starts :D

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
True, but that was more of a battle with another player. Subban took a penalty from the BENCH!!! If only he showed the same intensity on the ice.

And at least Pacioretty went out and scored early in the third to give us a chance.

Are you seriously questioning PK Subban's on ice intensity? Am I reading this right?

There is no question it was a dumb penalty, but that should've been a 4 on 4. Connolly, that tard, thought it was a good idea to check Markov when he didn't have the puck while he himself was in pain because of a blocked shot.

Rooney was calling penalties when there weren't any and wasn't calling them when they were blatant and he was looking at them directly. The 4 min. high stick by Desharnais, the Connolly interference, the call on Desharnais at the end when it should've been a TB penalty, etc.

Don't get me wrong, TB outplayed us, but things may not have gone the same way if that had been a 4 on 4 instead of a TB PP.

68*

Relax, it's one game man. Another ref might have let that little love tap by Subban go or decided to penalize them both.

But Subban needs to be better though. I am not impressed by his game this season. I wish he would stop making so many appearances everywhere and just focus on the Habs 100%.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
This is true. He spent 2 hours debating whether or not Carey faked his injury after game 4 vs Ottawa 2 years ago. I vowed to never listen to that fat ******* again. But unfortunately I have to decide between him and Ron for post game shows on the radio.

sophie's choice

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
They also have an abundance of young players and they should leverage this for a good forward...I am sure Bergevin will do something eventually.

Bergevin keep repeating that he's gonna build his team through his organisation and not through free agency and trades, you still think Bergevin is gonna trade his young players for another player?

Patience Tyson, patience. Habs won't win the Cup this year or next year, it's a process, best way to build a contender is through your organisation, this is Bergevin's words not mine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad