Winning streak ends. Habs lose 4 - 2

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Was Subban drunk tonite?

Or is it still a case of Tampa(Yzerman)/Detroit(Babcock) over-compensation where he tries to do too much to 'show them'

He's played very well lately but many WTF moments watching this one - careless giveaway on the PP with a weakass back check - almost a goal, fancy jr move over the blue line - turnover, dumb penalty from the bench - goal, bad pinch and then stops to pick up his stick - goal

I'll get in trouble for not waiving my pom-poms cause we were due for a loss but this is a game we could've won

Nynja*

this is a game we could've won

Failing to generate 10 shots for in any period is not a recipe for success.

Heres the difference between a good coach and a bad coach.

TB PP TOI:
S. Stamkos 6:17
T. Johnso 5:39
N. Kucherov 5:04
A. Stralman 4:58
O. Palat 4:19
R. Callahan 3:10
V. Filppula 2:37
J. Drouin 2:20

MTL PP TOI:
P. Subban 4:44
A. Markov 3:51
D. Desharnais 3:19
T. Plekanec 3:08
M. Pacioretty 2:58
S. Andrighetto 2:37
A. Galchenyuk 2:32
B. Gallagher 2:26

geometrically*

TB PP TOI:

MTL PP TOI:

Desharnais needs to **** off.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Was Subban drunk tonite?

Or is it still a case of Tampa(Yzerman)/Detroit(Babcock) over-compensation where he tries to do too much to 'show them'

He's played very well lately but many WTF moments watching this one - careless giveaway on the PP with a weakass back check - almost a goal, fancy jr move over the blue line - turnover, dumb penalty from the bench - goal, bad pinch and then stops to pick up his stick - goal

I'll get in trouble for not waiving my pom-poms cause we were due for a loss but this is a game we could've won

He definitely struggled, not sure if he was too amped up or not focused, but not the way he should be playing.

The non call on Markov was dumb, but taking a harmless poke from the bench was dumb too. Pick your spots, not with 2 refs are looking. Too many junior moves and giveways.

TB PP TOI:

MTL PP TOI:

What is your point? Cooper is a idiot for not playing Drouin more when he is their best PP guy and Stamkos was invisible?

A very bad combination of stupid penalties and terrible reffing. Sure Subban poked at the TB player as he went to the bench, but it was hardly a spear or anything major. And FFS the Tb player should have been given a penalty for interfering with Markov (DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE REF). Just ridiculous. Besides the usual inept reffing what scared me about this game was that price really resembled what he looked like early in his career, when he would have terrible trouble finding the puck after a stop. At least 2 of the goals were directly caused by losing sight of a rebound and being clueless about puck location. That is something that Price has really improved over the last few years. Anyway its time to forget about this cluster f$%K of a performance and get on to the next game.

Reffing was terrible for sure. Price Subban Galchenyuk Eller Sekac all had rough nights.

Habs seem off against TB, maybe overconfident and TB seems amped up.

It's what I feared would happen. THe Habs may be better than the Bruins but I grudgingly admit that they aren't as good as the Lightning. Bergevin has done a lot to upgrade the team but he has more to do. It's not hius fault. The Lightning sucked for a few seasons and brought in some great prospects while the Habs had only one high pick in recent years.

TB and Montreal are pretty evenly matched, based on last year's playoffs Habs have to be considered better until proven otherwise...

Subban has become the whipping boy for the French media, as well as some less intelligible English media guys (...Marinaro).

What's sad is most casual fans I know end up believing these ********** and tell me that Subban is having a horrible season, is selfish, doesn't play a team game, is overpaid, etc. etc.

The fact of the matter is is that this guy is the teams best player by a wide margin (aside from Carey of course). When it comes to winning, no other skater is more important than PK. He's made incredible strides in terms of his defensive game while maintaining his 50-60 point pace.

I fail to understand why the best players on the team are always the whipping boys.. PK, Patches (too soft, blamed for the duo's lack of production instead of DD), Kovalev, Price back in the day, Koivu for his linguistics, etc.

I think it's his contract more than being the whipping boy...like it or not at 9 mil AAV, it will make you a lighning rod when you don't play well. See Kessel in Toronto...

Games like these really can tell you a lot about your future captain.

Subban: cost us the game with his 2 stupid penalties
Pacioretty: tried to wake up the team, scored a goal, maybe the only player who cared.

Enough said. Subban is our #1 D but he's simply not captain material.

I have been impressed with Pacioretty's maturity no doubt, from what I see he would be the frontrunner, but there is part of leadership that we don't get to see...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

TB PP TOI:

MTL PP TOI:

Here's our best goal per game player this year in order:

Max Pacioretty
Tomas Plekanec
Brendan Gallagher
Alex Galchenyuk
Lars Eller
Jiri Sekac
PK Subban
Michael Bournival

Desharnais and Parenteau are both in the top 3 for forward in terms of PP time.
PP doesn't score goals and we are wondering why......

turbodragon

Jan 24, 2014
Tampa Bay is simply more skilled offensively than we are. Not only did they have a trio of very high picks in Stamkos, Hedman and Drouin, but they also seem to have hit home runs with later picks in Palat and Kucherov and undrafted Johnson.

However, contrarily to us, they are also willing to give responsibility to their young players, and it's paying off. For how long did keeping DD as first line center hurt us? Now, I'd love to see Eller, Sekac and Andrighetto given more offensive opportunities and time on the PP.

Therrien relies too much on veterans. We see in the Lightning that you can produce with young guys.

Last edited:

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

Max Pacioretty
Tomas Plekanec
Brendan Gallagher
Alex Galchenyuk
Lars Eller
Jiri Sekac
PK Subban
Michael Bournival

To be fair, Gallagher and Galchenyuk have combined for ZERO pp goals this season. It doesn't matter who Therrien sends out at this point, the PP woes are a coaching issue.

Watching Tampa's PP was freaking amazing; the movement from all players, always an open man, a forward hovering around both hashmarks ready for a one timer.

The Habs PP hasn't been working since December 2013, yet it still relies on a heavy one timer from Subban.

Having said that, I still find it mind boggling that Sekac doesn't get time on the PP. He's our most dangerous forward on some nights and his skill would complement Galchenyuk's.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto

Max Pacioretty
Tomas Plekanec
Brendan Gallagher
Alex Galchenyuk
Lars Eller
Jiri Sekac
PK Subban
Michael Bournival

Yes yes, the TOI is a problem and it has continued into this game but at least the top three forwards for this game were also the top performing forwards of the game: DD, Plek, Patches. Yes, the order is messed up but still...At least for 'This' game, the TOI isn't 'that' bad.

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
Got tickets to the game yesterday from a friend. Here are a couple of my random takes:

1) Really didn't like Subban's decision making (ill-timed fancy plays, not shooting the puck when he had chances on the PP, way too many passes, ill-timed penalties). Bottom line, he had a very bad game. With that being said, can't wait to see him bounce back vs. Pittsburgh on Saturday.

2) Once again, really love Beaulieu. Did zoom in on him when he was on the ice. Love the poise and you can really see that he has way more confidence now than at the beginning of the year. I had a great view of how he played that 2 on 1 when Gonchar got caught pinching in the 2nd period.

3) As much as I like Gallagher, he's not a 1st line RW and a first unit PP in front of the net. Shame that he's there by default but for the team to reach a new level, the Habs obviously needs to adress that position. Would love to see him on a 2nd line to provide secondary scoring (like that Tampa's 2nd line).

4) The 3rd line couldn't get their cycle game going like they're use to. Tampa's defense was really good during the entire game of getting the puck out of the zone and on several occasions, their breakout was really nice to watch. Honestly, there are some games that I like seeing Prust on that line but for some others, I would rather see Bournival or Weise. Anyways, no biggie.

5) Paccioretty needs to stop making fancy plays when the Habs are breaking out. Just need to make it simple. His line had some good shifts when they were able to get some sustained pressure. Also had a couple of pretty good shots especially in the 1st on a pretty nice pass from Galchenyuk. Talking about Chukie, he needs to shoot the puck way more often especially around the net. I know he has amazing hands but the over dangled can be troublesome especially when you can have a great scoring chance.

6) Tampa 2nd line was a thing of beauty to watch. They complement each other so well. No wonder they're doing really well stats & game wise. Tampa's forwards have speed and skills. They won their big share of puck battles in the offensive zone.

7) I zoomed in on Stamkos during all Tampa's PPs. It was just incredible to see where he was positioned for every single one of them. He was on the right side, on left side, in the slot, at the point. If I were a Habs player, then it would have been pretty difficult to cover a guy like that especially when he's not always at the same spot ... Can't be said about the Habs' PP.

8) Really love Desharnais offensive game yesterday night. He was lively and was able to create some good scoring chances. Yes, he's not the best defensive winger especially when the puck is in the Habs' zone but I can live with that if he's able to move his feet and be creative in the offensive zone.

Anyways, it was disappointing game to watch live but like I said before, looking forward to the Habs bouncing back vs Pittsburgh.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
I think the loss at the beginning of the season got into their heads. We can't win every game and some nights we will be off. Tonight was one of those nights. No further analysis needed.

Lemons

Mar 26, 2008
Tampa is a serious threat to us. Say what you want, they're an amazing team with incredible depth. They can roll out all lines and their forwards play cohesively in three zones of the ice.

What I noticed was that their players constantly rotate on the ice. Defencemen will go forward, forwards will go defence. It's amazing how well the team plays well as a unit. Not to mention that Tampa is top 3 in the NHL in speed. They were first on every loose pucks and intercepting turnovers consistantly.

Habs need to be prepared next time.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Rough game but hard to get mad after they rolled off a perfect record on that 5 game road trip, hopefully they come back and have a strong game vs. Pittsburgh.

Loved Malhotra the first month of the season but he's simply not good enough to be in the lineup, aside from faceoffs he doesn't bring much and he's even struggling defensively. Still a good depth guy and leader to have around that could help us in the playoffs but I hope we don't ever see Bournival having to sit over him again.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
The Habs have to understand they won't beat the Lightning by outskating them. They'll do so by slowing them down and bringing the body on them every single shift. Johnson needs to be checked often. He needs to feel the pain in the corners. Likewise for Stamkos and others.

Whether people like it or not, we have to play a better grinding game to get past them.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
To be fair, Gallagher and Galchenyuk have combined for ZERO pp goals this season. It doesn't matter who Therrien sends out at this point, the PP woes are a coaching issue.

Watching Tampa's PP was freaking amazing; the movement from all players, always an open man, a forward hovering around both hashmarks ready for a one timer.

The Habs PP hasn't been working since December 2013, yet it still relies on a heavy one timer from Subban.

Having said that, I still find it mind boggling that Sekac doesn't get time on the PP. He's our most dangerous forward on some nights and his skill would complement Galchenyuk's.

At Galchenyuk's defense, he completely set-up perfect play on the PP with awesome passes (Markov and Subban). I agree with Gallagher though.

Sekac and Eller are 2 of the biggest bodies and goal scorer this year so far. I'm not even saying to put them in everytime....but once in a while, shake things up, try something new.

Yes yes, the TOI is a problem and it has continued into this game but at least the top three forwards for this game were also the top performing forwards of the game: DD, Plek, Patches. Yes, the order is messed up but still...At least for 'This' game, the TOI isn't 'that' bad.

I agree that for tonight's game, it goes to the one deserving but deserving or not, it's always the same story anyway. 2 of our top 6 goal scorer this year aren't seen any PP time and nothing has been really tried yet.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
The Habs have to understand they won't beat the Lightning by outskating them. They'll do so by slowing them down and bringing the body on them every single shift. Johnson needs to be checked often. He needs to feel the pain in the corners. Likewise for Stamkos and others.

Whether people like it or not, we have to play a better grinding game to get past them.

Watching that line I kept thinking the same thing, why is nobody hitting them?!

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Yup and teams figured that out a long time ago and they made adjustments to pretty much take away Subban's big shot from the Habs PP. Then we're left with non shooters like DD and PAP out there trying to find someone to pass to for a shot because they won't shoot so they keep passing it around the perimeter wasting time.

Pretty easy to defend a PP when the opposition takes away the only guy who shoots the puck and the rest are trying to get him the puck for a shot because they won't shoot the puck..

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

TB PP TOI:

MTL PP TOI:

It don't see why Eller and Sekac aren't getting any PP time, a Ghetto get more time than Galchenyuk...

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Pretty bad game all around TB was just too fast and gave a better effort.

everyone was below avg. but Subban had the worst game I even seen him play.
Price, even if he was pretty much hung out to dry he was really is regular self... is side to side movement seem off keep silding out of is net...

Mtl PP: is just awfull, can't gain the zone, can't get establish and even when they do Pker always seem to out number Mtl around the puck, so the are able to apply a lot of pressure on the puck, player have to make a long pass that is usually hard to handle so we either lose the puck or it give time to the Pker to reposition or apply more presure.

Mtl PK: I don't why are D is always drive or on the ice to stop puck we have Price they should just take care of the rebounds and the player try to take them...

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
The fans also have to accept that the TBL are turning into a top level team... an A or even A+ level team.

That being said, I feel the 2015 Hab players have proven that they are serious about their hockey. :handclap:

They a learn a great deal from those types of loses.

The future hinges on good management and smart prospect development (like any sports team).

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Everyone looked off in this game. Even my beloved Price, I must admit, didn't look like he was in the game most of the night. Seems like a standard "return from a long road trip" syndrome.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Marinaro and Nilan discussing the Habs PP woes. Marinaro doesn't understand why DD keeps getting so much PP time.

Marinaro now going off on MT and why he doesn't use Sekac more especially on the PP and thinking MT doesn't really like Sekac much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad