Post-Game Talk: Winning Is Better (Jets 5 Nucks 1)

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well we beat a team who likely has no business in the playoffs. It's nice but it doesn't negate the fact that we aren't beating contenders yet. Lots to build on here, lots to learn. Onwards and upwards!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Great adjustment in the 2nd period taking CSW off the Sedin assignment.. they were getting outworked and hemmed in their end for most of the first period.

And of course hats off to CLT for an excellent effort to not only shut them down but spend most of their time in the offensive zone and giving CSW a better matchup, that completely changed the game around
How can that be Maurice doesn't know what he is doing :sarcasm: But in all honesty having CLT being able to take some tough match ups off CSW is another competitive advantage for us.

Reactions: Jets2point0

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
Just a look at Perreault's last 5 games. Not too shabby.
YpbX6GM.png

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We beat the Kings
We beat the Penguins

Are those not contenders?

Who are the contenders exactly?

Well okay we beat some contenders but still have a lot to work on. St. Louis will be interesting. They are playing really well if we can take 1 of those games I'll be happy. Beating the Canucks is expected.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We beat the Kings
We beat the Penguins

Are those not contenders?

Who are the contenders exactly?

The Oilers where supposed to win this year and we beat them too :p. Dallas was supposed to win the division according to all the experts this summer and we whopped them twice. We beat the Ducks who are supposed to contend as well. We are beating a number of good and weak teams so far.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Outstanding post. So many seem to be having trouble moving on from the past. Every road bump is seen as a catastrophe ready to happen. I'm just glad the team is more resilient than its HFBoard fans.

Amen to that, Bogo.

As I pointed out in the GDT, the Jets were still a quite big favorite (over 2-1) even after a tied first period, yet over a dozen posters were like "incoming collapse", "we're gonna blow up", "here comes another stinker" and such. No team plays a perfect game. No team plays a mistake free game. Any game, any sport. You make yourself a favorite by making less mistakes than the other team, and you win by having sufficient luck to bring it home. That's it.

For instance, Hellebuyck let in the second shot on net, not that it was a stinker by any means, but it could have easily been demoralizing.

He wound up stopping the next 24 in a row to finish with .962, including that ABSOLUTE BEAUTY where he had the perspicacity to see how the delayed penalty was panning out on the other end and saving what we all saw would have been a sure empty net goal.

Perspective, that's all I ask. I'll drag this forum to actually celebrate a Stanley Cup championship kicking and screaming, if need be.

Reactions: Huffer and Kgame

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
If the last 3 games were our traditional road trip skid, I’ll take it. Glad they got it out of their systems. Back to business now! These next 4 games are what really matters.

If there's a team in the league that HASN'T had at least one "disastrous" 0-2-1 stretch (road games or otherwise), I'll buy a hat for the sole and expressed purpose of eating it.

EDIT: to clean double negatives.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
HF Jets crisis averted with a nice effort. Secondary assist to the refs on this one.

Nice work by PP2. I mean Wheeler tried his best nominating himself as trigger man over Schief and Laine but to no avail.

Had a good laugh. But really though.. I swear Wheeler had a decent shot at one point

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The Oilers where supposed to win this year and we beat them too :p. Dallas was supposed to win the division according to all the experts this summer and we whopped them twice. We beat the Ducks who are supposed to contend as well. We are beating a number of good and weak teams so far.

I'll give us the Oilers and Stars but us beating a Duck team without Getz and Kesler is like a team beating us without Scheif and Wheeler. I'll believe we can take on the Ducks when we beat them with Getz AND Kes in the lineup.

The Ducks, Blues and Preds are who I'm worried about.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
More of Morrissey jumping into play. Jets team doesn't really have that in their arsenal D jumping (Trailer) into play.
Its totally different than Buff or Myers carrying the puck and initiating the rush.

Sometimes Trouba does it when he feels like it :)

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Looks like the other guys were outcoached this time!

That second period matchup adjustment would certainly suggest that, huh?

And say what you will about his player usage proclivities, but the vast difference between home (8 games above .500 points) and road (.500 points) might just suggest PMo has some good line matchups in his gourd.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
More of Morrissey jumping into play. Jets team doesn't really have that in their arsenal D jumping (Trailer) into play.
Its totally different than Buff or Myers carrying the puck and initiating the rush.

Sometimes Trouba does it when he feels like it :)

Totally agree. We did it in one game recently and it worked like magic. Then we just stopped.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
That second period matchup adjustment would certainly suggest that, huh?

And say what you will about his player usage proclivities, but the vast difference between home (8 games above .500 points) and road (.500 points) might just suggest PMo has some good line matchups in his gourd.

Didn't Beyak break out the home PP stats?
:sarcasm:

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
"Per Ardua Ad Astra"

(Through Adversity to the Stars)

Per ardua ad astra ("Through adversity to the stars"
or "Through struggle to the stars")
is the motto of the Canadian Air Force.

Per ardua ad astra badge on the Polish War Memorial

Finally back on the win side.

Next four Central games = 16 points!