Post-Game Talk: Winning Is Better (Jets 5 Nucks 1)

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I'm confused didn't we just win?? Yet so much negativity on here.
So true ... I live on the west coast and people here tell me how good the Jets. I hear from other sports announcers talk about how good the Jets. It seems everyone thinks the Jets are a good team on the rise except on this board because the "analytics" says a different story.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I wonder if Jets fans aren't ready to full commit yet to the idea of having a great team....I think much of the fan base needs more consistency before they fully embrace that....consistency within games and over longer stretches. I think fans are wondering if a losing streak is coming, if this version of the Jets is for real.

Personally, I am not ready to call them a contender, I need another 20 games or so and at least a couple wins in the playoffs.

Until then however, no reason to enjoy wins on day to day basis...

suihkukone

Mar 12, 2017
Denmark
Great win for the team and specially for the coach. He showed that he's gonna play these lines and minutes no matter what. Why change even if one player is "very ill" (sic) . We'll maybe the 2nd unit got more PP time as a result (?) and I'm glad they made good of it. They have not been that hot lately.
Stars went to right players, Helle was deserving one as well.

Maybe should add that 1st line played very well in the end.

Last edited:

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
Trouba moved puck more on first power play opportunity than "what the buff" has done whole season. Whole team was more balanced because no one would have to "baby sit" and watch when WTB will leave position. Jets could play with speed and quick decisions because WTB was not on ice to slow puck movement. Jets forecheck was better than whole season because all defenseman did what they supposed to do, and that is support forecheck not push all the time.

Canucks where able to put too much pressure early on, but Jets survived because no one tried to force turnover with leaving position.

Little have had troubles in his own zone coverage lately, hope that is temporary thing.

Poolman was major upgrade with his mobility, attitude, positioning and simple decision makings. Sure at times he was almost over playing because of excitement for playing in NHL. Hendricks (Perreault) goal came because of Poolman who read the play when Scheifele was going to the bench and Poolman covered center for forecheck to keep the puck in.

Poolman might not be ready for regular job in NHL but clearly he is number 3 on right handed dept chart behind Trouba and Myers.

Cant wait for more power play opportunities with Trouba on the point. Now Jets need to switch Laine back to where he belongs from the slot, because Trouba can feed the puck to him.

Laine with Ehlers on same line won't work and Wheeler has great chemistry with Little so there should be easy solution for getting more out from top 6 with Wheeler and Laine changing places. I know Scheifele, Connor and Wheeler has played great against other teams top lines, but with that move top 6 would be more balanced on defensive side also, and that is not a bad thing when they play on the road.

Lowry line needs to just put puck in deep like (Mathias-Lowry-Armia) they did last season, that did it successfully in 3rd period to keep Sedin line in their own zone.

How underrated not just in Winnipeg but in whole NHL is Josh Morrissey??? To me he is one of the best two way defenseman in league, because of his hockey IQ. Jets should offer him 8 year extension, because bridge deal will cost much after couple years when its over.

Next games challenge will be tougher but with focus on puck movement and skating and little corrections from forwards in own end the wins will come.

Reactions: ps241 and larmex99

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I can't believe how good Armia can be on the wall. Some shifts of his are spectacular.
Yup. Armia has got it down to a science. He is so strong on the puck, uses his body so well and often seems to outsmart the opponent on the boards and in the corners. He just ends up with the puck more often than not. I hope that he and Perreault are given more icetime because they really deserve it.

googleIsMyFriend

Dec 6, 2016
I think Laine is gassed, so is half the team. I think this was a good win. Two day break is needed.

As a lines i think like this:

1st line: This is as good as others 1st.
2nd line: Struggles little bit sometimes, but still produce quite a lot of points.
3rd line: One of the best shutdown lines in a league.
4th line: One of the better 2nd lines in a league :D And some commentators truly believe that this is 4th line :p Secret weapon i can tell you that...

No wonder we are winning games.

Edit: Armia is a damn good player. :)

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
The Canucks were completely toothless, but at least the bottom didn't fall out. Coach made limited changes to the line-up after losing three straight games. Very passive coaching.

I feel like a parrot, but 5v5 scoring is not where it needs to be (bottom-6 came through in this game though). Kulikov goal was Markström's fault, and the Perreault goal was a PP goal in principle (PP just ended). The same woes continue.

Ehlers with a really good game. He was getting it done everywhere. Sadly ELL, after showing some promise, is back to it's garbage self offensively.

Laine with a mediocre game. I would start trying him on his natural side. He chips it out half the time with the backhand and half the time with the forehand so I don't really understand what is so genius about playing him on his off-wing (I guess receiving the pass is easier, but it doesn't look very natural what he is doing). How much worse can he be? It was nice to see a glimpse of a Scheifele-Laine rush. They are magic together.

PP was good. I'm liking Trouba on the 1st PP very much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Male75FromFinland

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
And that’s on coaching! Everyone knew Schief and Wheels were going to hit a wall it was just a matter of time.

Your right it was only a matter of time before they hit that wall. Knowing this fact how is this on coaching? Do good coaches know actually when their best player have hit a wall after a game when they produce 3 or 4 points and somehow know they have reach their limit before they actually show it on the ice? My point is no one knows for sure that a player has hit a wall until he has already actually shown it. A argument can be made that Scheif and Wheels have already had to much ice time but todays Jets 2.0 are in unchartered waters right now where they are challenging for the lead in the league. A place they have never been before. Much of this success is only because of the play of Scheif and Wheels. Can you tell exactly when any player hits the wall before he shows it on the ice over a few games? Can anyone without some clairvoyant ability know this? I have no issues with Maurice playing his best players as much as he can since this has been a winning formula for the Jets this year so far. So I disagree with you that his is on coaching when I know that all coaches would do the same thing to win.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I wonder if Jets fans aren't ready to full commit yet to the idea of having a great team....I think much of the fan base needs more consistency before they fully embrace that....consistency within games and over longer stretches. I think fans are wondering if a losing streak is coming, if this version of the Jets is for real.

Personally, I am not ready to call them a contender, I need another 20 games or so and at least a couple wins in the playoffs.

Until then however, no reason to enjoy wins on day to day basis...
Thats exactly it. We havent won anything yet. That being said, its been a good start.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So true ... I live on the west coast and people here tell me how good the Jets. I hear from other sports announcers talk about how good the Jets. It seems everyone thinks the Jets are a good team on the rise except on this board because the "analytics" says a different story.
My take. Neutral fans and the media look at the Jets as a whole. And as a whole we are a very nice collection of parts. They are not getting caught up in who played with who, and who got the most ice time. Many on this board judge the Jets through the lens of their favourite player. Anything other than a perceived optimal usage for their favourite is seen as a screw up by the coach. Everyone is counting up minutes and pulling whatever stats they can find to support their position and yells misuse even after a dominating win.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Yep....hard for people on here to admit we are a good team when their favourite player is getting 2 mins less ice time per game, their favourite player has crappy linemates, or the coach they despise is winning and ensuring he will have a job well into next year! :huh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So this is a bit more cheerful after a win. A few thoughts

The refs made a few really bad calls against the Nucks. I know it’s not fashionable to complain for the other team but our fan base would have gone off if the shoe was on the other foot.

So pumped for Helle just when a bit of fear was creeping in for me that we were overworking him he drops one of his best, sharpest, efforts of the season.....that while seeing Mase on the bench makes me exhale and smile.

Poolman has a very quick brain. First game in forever so it took him a bit but Tucker thinks the game at a high level. I love guys who can make that first pass while under duress and he does that so well. What a joy to have that option when guys get injured. He will be a full time part of our future blueline.

Copp Lowry just keeps getting better and that line is very valuable on home ice when PMo can hard match.

The extra days rest with a sick tired team will seem like a month off and I expect that we will see a really good version of the Jets vs Chicago.

Ok so some very bright posters have all correctly questioned Matty’s TOI and I agree. Let me make one counter point though. Matt is tiny but has the soul of a goon and plays reckless (god love him) which leads to injury. Is it possible slightly less usage against soft match ups might optimize his productively while preserving his body a bit more?

Ok so I get it that Hendricks is over the hill but the guys love for the game cracks me up . Was that his 100th goal (that got reversed) or was it his 1st NHL goal? The guy is so dam animated and excitable its impossible for me to stay mad at him. He’s like my 5 year old daughter coming down the stairs to see all the presents under the tree on Christmas morning.

Mossissey’s game has reached a new level and last night he was at his best.

Trouba moves the puck very quickly on the PP and that is going to be interesting to watch. I liked what I saw in the small sample size.

Our bottom six especially on home ice are making a big difference to this team’s success.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Yeah, the first line was on fire to begin the season, but maybe it is the minutes catching up to them or something. Who knows.

I don't think there's anything wrong with getting scoring from the 3rd and 4th lines. If the opponent shuts down the 1st and 2nd, it's likely we've done the same to their lines, letting Lowry and Hendricks lines feast.

Which Perreault did last night.

Balance.

Last edited:

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I don't think there's anything wrong with getting scoring from the 3rd and 4th lines. If the opponent shuts down the 1st and 2nd, it's likely we've done the same to their lines, letting Lowry and Hendricks lines feast.

Balance.

Agree totally. Having our bottom six hold their own and produce once in a while only makes the Jets a better all around team. MP in the bottom six makes the Jets such a better team that while I agree he deserve more TOI moving him out of the bottom six only make the team weaker. A healthy MP even on the 4 line is a force to reckon with for all opposition teams.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree totally. Having our bottom six hold their own and produce once in a while only makes the Jets a better all around team. MP in the bottom six makes the Jets such a better team that while I agree he deserve more TOI moving him out of the bottom six only make the team weaker. A healthy MP even on the 4 line is a force to reckon with for all opposition teams.
I think PS a couple posts up makes a very good point on the long term health benefits of giving MP some softer usage. In the short term he is also killing it on the score sheet with the mismatch. And he can be moved up in a heartbeat if needed. Seems like a pretty good situation for the Jets.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016

Balance.

That's a good point actually. The bottom six has come through in recent games. I guess my mind is not used to that yet because they haven't really been reliable scoring-wise up until recently. Let's hope the top-six picks it up too. Individual-talent-wise they are very much underperforming atm.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I think PS a couple posts up makes a very good point on the long term health benefits of giving MP some softer usage. In the short term he is also killing it on the score sheet with the mismatch. And he can be moved up in a heartbeat if needed. Seems like a pretty good situation for the Jets.

I'd say that is a GREAT situation for the Jets. :)

Reactions: KingBogo

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Perreault is playing apparently his best career season this far. Excellent stuff.

My only bigger concern is his ridiculously high S%. 28.1% shooting can be justifiably considered unsustainable (Oh I hate that word!!!), though season 2011-12 he had 26.7% over 60GP. His season S% has also been tendency to change rather dramatically season from season during his career.

Face off% is currently peaking career high 66.7%. Good luck and good games for him! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad