Confirmed with Link: Wings set to name Yzerman GM today

Hockey Freak 7

Kris Letang to another team. GOAT CROSBY 4 HART
Apr 1, 2018
The next year or so they’ll want to be at the bottom to build through high picks. All they’ll care about on the ice for the next couple of years is a if the young players are developing or not.

I believe that too.
I just think they wanna at least have a good enough record like getting to 80-90 points meaning they still don’t wanna be that bottom of the standings.
Yzer will have the more improved in 1-2 years , imo to be able to maybe to get in the playoffs and go from there. Wings have some great young guys..

Hockey Freak 7

Apr 1, 2018
The next year or so they’ll want to be at the bottom to build through high picks. All they’ll care about on the ice for the next couple of years is a if the young players are developing or not.

I believe that too.
I just think they wanna at least have a good enough record like getting to 80-90 points meaning they still don’t wanna be that bottom of the standings.
Yzer will have the more improved in 1-2 years , imo to be able to maybe to get in the playoffs and go from there. Wings have some great young guys..

Hockey Freak 7

Apr 1, 2018
Ok. From I’ve seen a lot wings fans have voice their opinion that they did not want Blashill to come back. .. etc..

All I know Yzerman will get it right ( it will be a process with great results)and he’s in charge . He will make Wings better than ever. He will be sting and have clear vision with wanting realistic results ..
Whether it’s the players , draft ,contracts, trades and who like behind the bench. Wings will be more back on track in 1-4 years ( maybe in 2 years) to build themselves to better regular season record and ellipse the playoffs .That just my perspective...
I’m sorry . I will leave it there. Enjoy.

Reactions: cphabs

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Is there no video of the press conference on here? I know I can find it elsewhere, just find it odd that it isn't on here is all.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
It was a tough loss but I'm happy for you friends. Stevie was my favorite player growing up so I'm glad that he went back home if anywhere.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I realize I'm a little late to the party and all, but I've been pretty well excited about this news all day. I'm really happy he's back! Can't wait to see how things play out in the next few years (yeah, I have no high expectations right now, and expect us to not be great this coming season too).

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Blashill got extended April 2nd,the Wings got permission from Tampa to officially talk to Yzerman in March according to the press conference today and have been in active talks since then

he wouldn't have been extended at all without Yzerman signing off on it

that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be around both years of his contract but as much as I personally want him gone I do fully expect him to be around for the entire season next year at which point Yzerman will either choose to go in a different direction next offseason or not depending on how he feels about his performance
In one of Yzerman's interviews yesterday, he specifically stated that he agreed with Blashill's extension before it occurred.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I expect some changes starting this summer.

Some in the scouting dept

I could see us move up to add another 1st rd pick

And I think either a buyout or a trade happens.

Daley and Ericsson are buyout options

Nielsen, Dekeyser, Mantha are trade options

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I expect some changes starting this summer.

Some in the scouting dept

I could see us move up to add another 1st rd pick

And I think either a buyout or a trade happens.

Daley and Ericsson are buyout options

Nielsen, Dekeyser, Mantha are trade options

Just out of curiosity, what makes Mantha a trade option, but not Athanasiou?

Reactions: Snuggs

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I doubt either get traded unless its a Godfather deal. They are part of the solution. I wonder what Yzerman's thoughts are on Svechnikov. He seems like the forgotten man in this youth movement.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I think a lot of teams will probably call Tampa, Calgary, Pittsburgh as they are likely open to shaking up their rosters a little bit after hugely disappointing first round exits, will be interesting to see if any rumors about our team are linked

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
In one of Yzerman's interviews yesterday, he specifically stated that he agreed with Blashill's extension before it occurred.
For anyone to disagree, I think they decided a long time ago and aren't willing to reconsider. How can anyone watch the growth of Larkin, Bertuzzi, AA, Mantha and have the opinion that it's all despite Blashill? Yeah, we have a need for more elite talent besides Larkin. Yeah, we need to build a defense corps through the draft or otherwise, but Blashill doesn't craft the roster. He was a rookie, too... I think it's the right decision to stick with him, he's gaining experience as well.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
For anyone to disagree, I think they decided a long time ago and aren't willing to reconsider. How can anyone watch the growth of Larkin, Bertuzzi, AA, Mantha and have the opinion that it's all despite Blashill? Yeah, we have a need for more elite talent besides Larkin. Yeah, we need to build a defense corps through the draft or otherwise, but Blashill doesn't craft the roster. He was a rookie, too... I think it's the right decision to stick with him, he's gaining experience as well.

There are many many many opinions that are had here that are not supported by facts or evidence.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Clarification on Yzerman and Holland's new roles

Not gonna dig through my old posts, but this is honestly exactly what I was hoping for. Yzerman as the guy in charge with Holland there to advise. I think Yzerman is an upgrade to Holland in terms of contracts and especially as a triggerman, but as of today there's possibly no better advisor in the league. And it's clear Yzerman respects the man and his opinion very much. Both in their ideal roles, just like with Team Canada.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
There are many many many opinions that are had here that are not supported by facts or evidence.
Right. Well we now know that they were granted permission to talk to SY in March and Blashill was extended April 2nd, I don't think that extension would have gone forward if there was any doubt from Yzerman.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006

Yeah I think Athanasiou is much more likely to be traded than Mantha. I don’t see Yzerman going through a contentious negotiation with AA.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

Yeah He just scrambled lines for two years when basically everyone and there mother knew these three guys should of been line 1 for awhile now.

Preach on fellas, how you're all so smart and anyone who disagrees is simple with no facts.

* My basic issue with Blashill has been his line combinations. He only played good lines this year from March on. Everything else was wish-wash, Grinders in top six roles, Abdelkader getting high minutes... Idk, all legit complaints to me.

I mostly just wanted a look at the available coaches too this offseason, but if Yzerman sign's off on it, I sign off. Why, not because I think Blashill is great but because I can understand Yzerman at least wants a look at everyone, coaches too for a year. I think this is Blashill's make or break season honeslty. If young players and the team improve I could see another 2-4 year extension for him. If they muddle along and come in the top 5 position again... I can see a shake up. I like the position Yzerman kind of has put him in, regardless of perception from either side of the fence, results for this up coming season will be the proof in the pudding for Blashill.

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Yzerman isn’t going to make a coaching change right now, so of course he’ll say the right things. I don’t think he’ll make any management/scouting changes until next offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad