Confirmed with Link: Wings set to name Yzerman GM today

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Not one question to Holland, nothing about Seattle.

Detroit media can be a joke sometimes.

The presser was about Yzerman. Holland wasn't the attraction. His future will come up later if he moves on to Edmonton or Seattle. Small beans right now.

Asking about Holland's future today would have been like asking a baseball player about a leadoff single he hit when the guy who hit a game winning grand slam is in the room.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Interview with Yzerman, he pretty much says that he and Holland are not that different.

What he said in the presser is about the same thing Holland has been saying the last few years and what just about any GM of a rebuilding team will say. I don't think this changes too much in the short term, but it's nice having them both on board.

Reactions: Fynn and kliq

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
There's a higher probability that Abby will be sent to GR or the press box, since that contract is not Stevie's mistake. That alone is a big plus, plus no more loyalty contracts to retiring vets (with the possible exception of Kronwall who played with Stevie). No more signing players for "veteran presence".

Over the last few years, Tampa has very few players over 30. (You can sort rosters by age in hockeydb.)

That's just speculation, let's not talk in absolutes until something like that happens.

Edit: I see you said "higher probability. My bad. I think you're right in that respect and I hope Stevie can shed some of these contracts.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That's just speculation, let's not talk in absolutes until something like that happens.

Edit: I see you said "higher probability. My bad. I think you're right in that respect and I hope Stevie can shed some of these contracts.
Isn't everything here speculation? None of us work for the Wings, and they have a new boss now anyways.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Isn't everything here speculation? None of us work for the Wings, and they have a new boss now anyways.

Yes, we all speculate. My initial problem wasn't that you were speculating, but that I took from it that you were speaking in absolutes.
Again, having re-read your post I edited my response, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Reactions: RabidBadger

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I did not get to listen to the full press conference until tonight. To me the most important statement from Yzerman was that he missed being in charge. Although Holland is staying, we know who makes the final decision.

Last edited:

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Someone needs to update this GIF with Yzerman at the wheel, Holland riding shotgun and Larkin in the back.

giphy.gif

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Think that part of the Q&A was more about the other staff positions. What he would want to bring in and want to address if he deems necessary to change/add something.
Your right. It was a really good nap I was having.

Yzerman is GM, and I'm sleeping better already.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I watched the presser when I got home, and it was more or less what I expected (family, tradition, work to do).

Felt that most of the questions were softball ones, although I thought Albom probably asked the most meat and potato question of why did he leave Tampa.

Kenny did look pretty bored though,

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
So what do people think SY will do almost right away personnel wise?

Most times their is a change at the top of command the person in charge comes in with plans or a vision already in their head, whether it be a head of state, business/company etc.

While perhaps not overly drastic I do expect some changes this summer.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
So what do people think SY will do almost right away personnel wise?

Most times their is a change at the top of command the person in charge comes in with plans or a vision already in their head, whether it be a head of state, business/company etc.

While perhaps not overly drastic I do expect some changes this summer.

I'm hoping he brings in Murray from Tampa. Murray has an out clause if Stevie left.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad