Confirmed with Link: Wings set to name Yzerman GM today

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
So what do people think SY will do almost right away personnel wise?

Most times their is a change at the top of command the person in charge comes in with plans or a vision already in their head, whether it be a head of state, business/company etc.

While perhaps not overly drastic I do expect some changes this summer.
There would have been changes whether Yzerman took the job or not. While it did take Holland (or Ilitch) too long to get on board with a rebuild, not really much to complain about.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Who is the president of the wings and does Yzerman have to answer to Holland? Who gets the last call on trades ,signings and firings? That's what I want to know.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
So what do people think SY will do almost right away personnel wise?

Most times their is a change at the top of command the person in charge comes in with plans or a vision already in their head, whether it be a head of state, business/company etc.

While perhaps not overly drastic I do expect some changes this summer.
Most GM's coming into a new position are doing so after a house cleaning has taken place and are in charge of putting ttheir own team in place. Yzerman is just being added to an already existing team. That's why I don't get why everyone is acting like its a whole new regime. They're just shuffling the deck a little bit.

Reactions: avssuc

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Who is the president of the wings and does Yzerman have to answer to Holland? Who gets the last call on trades ,signings and firings? That's what I want to know.

Yzerman

From the Athletic:

On some level it makes it easier that Steve Yzerman is now in charge. Holland conceded if it hadn’t been Yzerman, he would have hunkered down as long as ownership and the fan base would have tolerated it. But this had to happen. It had to happen this way.

There was a hint of melancholy when he talked about the realization that now it would be Yzerman running the meetings, now it would be Yzerman casting the vision, it would be Yzerman signing off on all the moves — friend or not, there’s probably a bit of sting there.

Hockey Freak 7

Kris Letang to another team. GOAT CROSBY 4 HART
Apr 1, 2018
I’d suspect Yzer to fire Blashill and Blysma soon or later..
I know he got a new extension, But I believe its a short leash there.

Yzer will want his own people under him.. He finally say.

That’s Wings fans would love to see it ...

Last edited:

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017

The next year or so they’ll want to be at the bottom to build through high picks. All they’ll care about on the ice for the next couple of years is a if the young players are developing or not.

Reactions: Hockey Freak 7

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I'm hoping he brings in Murray from Tampa. Murray has an out clause if Stevie left.

I have a feeling he will but not until after this draft. Just seems more of Yzerman's style.

Only thing I really took away is he understood we're still rebuilding and anyone expecting even a playoff birth the next couple years needs to relax. So that was reassuring.

I also expect Blashill to last another year at the least. Then either stick with him for now or go get your guy. Because why not?

As for Holland, if he doesn't leave for Seattle, I think he might be in this role for awhile. Unless a team just tosses him some ridiculous coin.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

Blashill got extended April 2nd,the Wings got permission from Tampa to officially talk to Yzerman in March according to the press conference today and have been in active talks since then

he wouldn't have been extended at all without Yzerman signing off on it

that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be around both years of his contract but as much as I personally want him gone I do fully expect him to be around for the entire season next year at which point Yzerman will either choose to go in a different direction next offseason or not depending on how he feels about his performance

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I sat down and watched the entire press conference. I'm really excited by how many times Yzerman stressed that the rebuild is NOT happening overnight, and that patience, patience, patience is the name of the game. It sounded very similar to what Babcock was saying when he first came on board in Toronto. "There will be pain." etc

Also thought it was nice to hear Yzerman say that if the Wings are in a similar position at the deadline this coming year, he's trading roster players for picks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I sat down and watched the entire press conference. I'm really excited by how many times Yzerman stressed that the rebuild is NOT happening overnight, and that patience, patience, patience is the name of the game. It sounded very similar to what Babcock was saying when he first came on board in Toronto. "There will be pain." etc

Also thought it was nice to hear Yzerman say that if the Wings are in a similar position at the deadline this coming year, he's trading roster players for picks again.
Holland: Well...we'll see where we're at, and take a look at where the market is at, and if we see anything that we really like to improve our team, then we'll make a move.

Yzerman: If we're down in the standings again next deadline, we'll acquire more picks.

I know that results are what matter, but somehow it's better to hear a more straightforward version of the same thing.

Haha, anybody wanna photo shop Holland's head on the lackey, and Yzerman's head on the executive?

Last edited:
Reactions: ricky0034

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
From the Athletic:

On some level it makes it easier that Steve Yzerman is now in charge. Holland conceded if it hadn’t been Yzerman, he would have hunkered down as long as ownership and the fan base would have tolerated it. But this had to happen. It had to happen this way.

There was a hint of melancholy when he talked about the realization that now it would be Yzerman running the meetings, now it would be Yzerman casting the vision, it would be Yzerman signing off on all the moves — friend or not, there’s probably a bit of sting there.

This is spot on. Just watch the short interview below. You can tell that deep down Kenny kind of wanted to see the rebuild through and did not really want to step aside, but Yzerman at 53 years old should be entering his prime as a GM and this is rightfully his show now (assuming Kenny doesn't have the power to overrule him, and all indications are that his new role is indeed in an advisory capacity)

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

I highly doubt. He said how Blush were good with kids and how he was good at GR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad