Confirmed with Link: Wings set to name Yzerman GM today

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Not one question to Holland, nothing about Seattle.

Detroit media can be a joke sometimes.

Why do you care on today? Today is the press conference bringing Stevie back home. It's not "hey, Kenny where are you going?" There is time to talk about Holland's future NOT on the day that we bring Stevie back into the fold. Both are signed right now.

I don't understand why there is this pathological need sometimes for "hard questions" to be asked. Holland's future has nothing to do with the news of today. Literally nothing.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Revamping the scouting and player development staff is exactly what this team needs IMO.
I don't see Yzerman getting rid of Mark Howe who's been in the job for 24 years which is basically half of Yzerman's playing career plus the entire duration of Yzerman's previous stint in the front office. Plus the current pro scout is Maltby. If anything they'll just add to what's there, the staff is only 17 people (according to the web site).

The player development director is Shawn Horcoff, he's only been in the position 3 years. Player development has actually been pretty good the last 3 years, and his assistant is Cleary who we all know has a job for life.

I just don't see Yzerman screwing over his friends and guys he played with. He just seems like too nice of a guy. Maybe add some new blood and shuffle around responsibilities. (As mentioned previously, Fischer and Draper are also on the staff.)

I wonder if he talks Kronner into retiring considering Yzerman retired on wonky knees.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I don't see Yzerman getting rid of Mark Howe who's been in the job for 24 years which is basically half of Yzerman's playing career plus the entire duration of Yzerman's previous stint in the front office. Plus the current pro scout is Maltby. If anything they'll just add to what's there, the staff is only 17 people (according to the web site).

The player development director is Shawn Horcoff, he's only been in the position 3 years. Player development has actually been pretty good the last 3 years, and his assistant is Cleary who we all know has a job for life.

I just don't see Yzerman screwing over his friends and guys he played with. He just seems like too nice of a guy. Maybe add some new blood and shuffle around responsibilities. (As mentioned previously, Fischer and Draper are also on the staff.)

I wonder if he talks Kronner into retiring considering Yzerman retired on wonky knees.

I say fire everyone except Hakan and Draper. That’s just me though.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Chris Pronger took a job with the Department of Player Safety while still under contract with Arizona, which was complete garbage that that was allowed to happen, but it did happen.
Even better, Pronger was elected to the Hall of Fame.

So he was simultaneously a player for the Coyotes, an employee of the NHL DoPS, and member of the hockey hall of fame.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
God guys, do you know what this means?

- No more signing 35+ guys in the twilight of their career in UFA (can’t recall a single one Stevie did in his tenure)

- No more “loyalty” contracts to guys like Ericsson and Abdelakder (Yzerman does what’s best for the team. Makes hard decisions like buying out franchise players if it needs to be done)

- Better scouting (Kucherov? Point?)

- Also, just from a players standpoint, I think this will help TREMENDOUSLY with motivation to players and luring players to come to Detroit.

Stevie Y is exactly what this team needs right now from a GM perspective. The fact that it’s HIM, the CAPTAIN, just makes it sweeter.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Interview with Yzerman, he pretty much says that he and Holland are not that different.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

RoyalDoubleMcCheesie

Aug 31, 2008
Oh man can't wait to see what the draft will be like and free agency and what type of trades he will make.

Going to say this summer has gotten a little more interesting now

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
Oh captain, my captain. Welcome back home Captain! And Ken Holland also re-signed with multi-year extension.

Best day for a while, this is so great. I don't even have a words for it.
Yeah, not so sure why everyone thinks there's going to be some big philosophical change in how the team is run. Since Holland/Ilitch have committed to doing a rebuild, I really don't know how anyone can complain about anything he has done. The drafts have been solid, trading away assets for draft picks, no big contracts for over the hill free agents. Yzerman will just be continuing on with that.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, not so sure why everyone thinks there's going to be some big philosophical change in how the team is run. Since Holland/Ilitch have committed to doing a rebuild, I really don't know how anyone can complain about anything he has done. The drafts have been solid, trading away assets for draft picks, no big contracts for over the hill free agents. Yzerman will just be continuing on with that.

I think it’s a change in management philosophy more than anything else that will be immediate. Look at my above post.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Congrats gang. I heard this was a done deal several weeks ago and it is fitting he goes home.

Enjoy the rebuild and have fun. But understand it will be an expansion of talent in your minor league teams and scouting department that he will undertake first. Plus he will press to find that "career" goaltender to keep for 8 years. Thus you'll suffer some short term pain like we did but when you have a backlog of players running out of options in the minors and the Red Wings are back in the playoffs, that's when you can say "Yzerplan Complete."

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
No kidding. Its far more likely Stevie takes on some trash from TB in order to help them out of their upcoming salary cap crunch, as a favor to his old club/boss. Detroit will have some extra cap space to play with. Wouldn't mind taking on some other teams trash during this rebuild if it will gain us some assets/picks.

You take Cally and Palat, we'll take a 5th round pick and AA off your hands.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Near the end he said it wouldn't take him long to assess what he wanted to do, if anything.

"If anything" ... wait, what?

Found that funny, because he was talking about how much work there was to be done and how long it can take. Had a few celebratory ginger ales before 3pm so honestly I napped through a lot of it and maybe I heard that wrong.

Think that part of the Q&A was more about the other staff positions. What he would want to bring in and want to address if he deems necessary to change/add something.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
There's a higher probability that Abby will be sent to GR or the press box, since that contract is not Stevie's mistake. That alone is a big plus, plus no more loyalty contracts to retiring vets (with the possible exception of Kronwall who played with Stevie). No more signing players for "veteran presence".

Over the last few years, Tampa has very few players over 30. (You can sort rosters by age in hockeydb.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad