Rumor: Wings interested in Justin Faulk

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think you have a better chance of being good by not acquiring Faulk and picking up a few more high draft picks over the next few years, then acquiring Faulk, being negligibly better, and not having quite as high of picks. If they can get him for next to nothing i'm all for it, otherwise i'd rather just roll the dice on a 2nd round pick and hope you draft a guy with the pick as good or better than Faulk in a few years.

I don’t think Faulk makes us any better next year with Green gone and no reason to think any of Daley, Ericsson or Kronwall do anything but devolve.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don’t think Faulk makes us any better next year with Green gone and no reason to think any of Daley, Ericsson or Kronwall do anything but devolve.

so why give up picks and/or young players for him? that's a large part of the point. if he makes the team negligibly better it sucks as they will just get a lower draft pick. if it doesn't make them better then there was no point in trading for him in the first place.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
so why give up picks and/or young players for him? that's a large part of the point. if he makes the team negligibly better it sucks as they will just get a lower draft pick. if it doesn't make them better then there was no point in trading for him in the first place.

My premise is AA, Svech and 33/36. I think the former two are irrelevant to Detroit’s future and it’s pretty unlikely 33/36 is ever as good as Faulk. As for Faulk not making the team better, I thought it was obvious that I meant next season where he would likely have zero help with worsening vets who already aren’t great and some rookies.

Reactions: golffuul

WingNut

Jun 21, 2016
My premise is AA, Svech and 33/36. I think the former two are irrelevant to Detroit’s future and it’s pretty unlikely 33/36 is ever as good as Faulk. As for Faulk not making the team better, I thought it was obvious that I meant next season where he would likely have zero help with worsening vets who already aren’t great and some rookies.

You could always flip Faulk at the deadline and most likely get at least a 1st rd pick and then some.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

I think part of the allure is being then able to re-sign him in the following offseason. If he doesn't want to re-sign then we can move him at the draft or the deadline as he'll still be a highly sought after player. As of now we're not likely to have a player that we could reasonable expect to be a top pairing defenceman so trading for one makes sense.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
AA/Nyquist/Svechnikov for Faulk would be ideal. Makes room at forward and Wings will replace Green and get some extra cap space. Then you trade him at the deadline for a first or he is a perfect fit and they resign him

Me thinks Green is playing hardball. Ideally he waits and doesn’t get the offers he wants and takes a 1 year deal and Wings can be somewhat competitive next year

Mantha-Larkin-Bertuzzi
Rasmussen-Zetterberg-Zadina
Abdelkader-Nielsen-Vanek
Helm-Glendening-Frk

DeKeyser-Faulk
Ericsson-Green
Daley-Hronek

Kronwall

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
AA/Nyquist/Svechnikov for Faulk would be ideal. Makes room at forward and Wings will replace Green and get some extra cap space. Then you trade him at the deadline for a first or he is a perfect fit and they resign him

Me thinks Green is playing hardball. Ideally he waits and doesn’t get the offers he wants and takes a 1 year deal and Wings can be somewhat competitive next year

Mantha-Larkin-Bertuzzi
Rasmussen-Zetterberg-Zadina
Abdelkader-Nielsen-Vanek
Helm-Glendening-Frk

DeKeyser-Faulk
Ericsson-Green
Daley-Hronek

Kronwall
I'm okay with giving up one of Svech/AA, but not both. Faulk is a good defenseman and is in his prime, but I don't see how Hronek and Cholowski can't be just as good. Grabbing Faulk only adds another middle six defender, which we have plenty of. We need that number one guy. I'd rather not give up futures for something we will eventually have an excess of.

Kind of off topic here, but it's a thought I've had today that I want to post. There's been some proponents of defense by committee on this board, including myself, but after some thought it's true that you need the number one guy, and my temporary belief in defense by committee was only to cope with the fact that we have no number ones.
When an elite forward, let's say McDavid, is matched up against a middle pair defenseman, the middle pair defenseman loses. The fact that the other defenders on the bench are middle pair doesn't matter. Some will point to Vegas as not having the elite shut down guy but I don't think some of their defensemen get enough credit.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
I'm okay with giving up one of Svech/AA, but not both. Faulk is a good defenseman and is in his prime, but I don't see how Hronek and Cholowski can't be just as good. Grabbing Faulk only adds another middle six defender, which we have plenty of. We need that number one guy. I'd rather not give up futures for something we will eventually have an excess of.

Kind of off topic here, but it's a thought I've had today that I want to post. There's been some proponents of defense by committee on this board, including myself, but after some thought it's true that you need the number one guy, and my temporary belief in defense by committee was only to cope with the fact that we have no number ones.
When an elite forward, let's say McDavid, is matched up against a middle pair defenseman, the middle pair defenseman loses. The fact that the other defenders on the bench are middle pair doesn't matter. Some will point to Vegas as not having the elite shut down guy but I don't think some of their defensemen get enough credit.

I don’t think you must have a Norris winner to have any chance at winning a cup but you need a #1 that can play 20+ minutes every night without getting exposed. I just have a feeling that will be the last piece added. If the Wings have everything in place and Dougie Hamilton was being moved, Holland would be all over it. Hamilton is a #1 but he’s far from perfect. Theirs only a handful of #1’s that you won’t find faults in its just the way it is. Personally I prefer a 30-40 point dman that’s rock solid in his own end over a risky 60 point guy but hey that’s just me. I think you get more value when it comes to salaries and it’s a winning brand of hockey

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If I take a quick look for that Carolina defence, I just got a feeling that:

A) For some reason, they are gonna trade Faulk in any case.
B) To fill that hole, they replaced him with Hamilton, when he became available.
C) They could let Hanifin go, because they can replace him with Jake Bean.

LD Slavin - RD Hamilton
LD Bean - RD Pesce
LD Fleury - RD TvR
---------------------
depth
LD Dahlbeck - RD McKeown

They have perfect pieces to move on even without Faulk. Maybe they are sure Faulk is gonna walk in free agency, or something. They just want transfer his value for some other, better long-term value.

Wings could offer that value in young forwards now.

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
If I take a quick look for that Carolina defence, I just got a feeling that:

A) For some reason, they are gonna trade Faulk in any case.
B) To fill that hole, they replaced him with Hamilton, when he became available.
C) They could let Hanifin go, because they can replace him with Jake Bean.

LD Slavin - RD Hamilton
LD Bean - RD Pesce
LD Fleury - RD TvR
---------------------
depth
LD Dahlbeck - RD McKeown

They have perfect pieces to move on even without Faulk. Maybe they are sure Faulk is gonna walk in free agency, or something. They just want transfer his value for some other, better long-term value.

Wings could offer that value in young forwards now.
if they are willing to move him, id try and play a little hardball with them and go with AA and nyq as the main pieces going their way. Feel like the year after next would be the best time to go after the guy like fualk vs this year. Keep svech here with us and let him develop into that top 6 forward this season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
if they are willing to move him, id try and play a little hardball with them and go with AA and nyq as the main pieces going their way. Feel like the year after next would be the best time to go after the guy like fualk vs this year. Keep svech here with us and let him develop into that top 6 forward this season.

They are rebuilding and Nyquist doesn't offer long-term value for them. They would go from 2-year Faulk to 1-year Nyquist problem. I don't see it. Nyquist will go to contender like Tatar.

That Athanasiou + Svechnikov-brother as a base for Faulk is much more reasonable.

Reactions: 21 Savage

shanman

Jun 23, 2018
They are rebuilding and Nyquist doesn't offer long-term value for them. They would go from 2-year Faulk to 1-year Nyquist problem. I don't see it. Nyquist will go to contender like Tatar.

That Athanasiou + Svechnikov-brother as a base for Faulk is much more reasonable.
probably. But if they want to move faulk doesnt mean we have to give them everything they want. If we could somehow know we were winning lottery and getting hughes, id be all for that as we would essentially swap those 3 for hughes and faulk.

DangleDangleBeach

Oct 5, 2009
Always liked him but last year was not a good year for him and I would be weary to pay what it would take coming off such an awful season. He makes a ton of bad plays defensively and always has, but last year he went like half of the season with a single 5v5 point. Thats a bad stat.

Regardless of the overpayment that happens for defensemen, he just isn't good enough to overpay in his current state. If you believe he bounces back to his old self and can provide some goals and help on the power play, maybe, but it seems super risky to make that assumption.

Reactions: shanman

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
I think the team is in a position to trade AA and Svechnikov without losing much sleep. I don’t see either breaking 60 points in this league

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I don’t think you must have a Norris winner to have any chance at winning a cup but you need a #1 that can play 20+ minutes every night without getting exposed. I just have a feeling that will be the last piece added. If the Wings have everything in place and Dougie Hamilton was being moved, Holland would be all over it. Hamilton is a #1 but he’s far from perfect. Theirs only a handful of #1’s that you won’t find faults in its just the way it is. Personally I prefer a 30-40 point dman that’s rock solid in his own end over a risky 60 point guy but hey that’s just me. I think you get more value when it comes to salaries and it’s a winning brand of hockey
I agree, I never said they have to put up the numbers of Erik Karlsson. In a mtchup sense, you need the elite shit down guy. Usually they get 30 points because they have a high hockey IQ, but they're not offense focused. Marc Edouard Vlasic can definitely lead a team to a cup.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Carolina just signed de Haan. I presume a Faulk trade is around the corner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad