Rumor: Wings interested in Justin Faulk

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Man, Mrazek would be pissed.

Not sure why we'd want him back, either.

He's MUCH cheaper now, and can duke it out with Sateri for the backup/AHL spot. Maybe he gets his head on straight, learns how to not telescope out to the blue line, and finally lives up to his potential. As a rotation with Bernier. Or Sateri if Bernier shits himself.

And yeah, I'm sure he'd just say "f*** it, yo," and go to the KHL.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It was a hypothetical scenario, and we all know how trade threads go around here. Besides, that was just a starting point.

I think that the Canes are probably one more season, with all the changes that they are poised to make, from really competing. They are making massive shake up moves that is going to take time to gel across the roster. First year in a long time without Cam Ward as the goalie (which, by the way, they could have kept Ward for like half the price of Jimmy and they didn't want to); Faulk is going to be gone; Skinner is probably going to be gone; Svechnikov and maybe Necas will be pushing for prominent roles with limited professional experience; Hanifin+Lindholm were shipped out for Hamilton.

This is the same kind of roster turnover that the Cavs tried to do at the NBA trade deadline this year. There's no way they are Cup favorites this year, so pursuing an average goalie on the wrong side of 30 with no term doesn't scream "good idea" to me. I mean the return for Faulk is going to play a key role in the turnover they are going for; and the fact that they moved Lindholm and are probably moving Skinner, they are probably going to need to seek an impact forward; preferably a top 6 caliber center that can team with Necas down the middle to get the most out of Aho/Svech.

At this point I can't see a trade happening between DET and CAR without a defenseman going back to CAR, but they just picked up de Haan and that kind of negates CAR's need for a LHD. Unless DET can pawn off somebody on the back end to a different team, which seems doubtful.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I think there was real reason why Mrazek was wanted out from our lockerroom. He will never be back.

I don't know, I can't even begin to speculate what happened to him.

I think that the Canes are probably one more season, with all the changes that they are poised to make, from really competing. They are making massive shake up moves that is going to take time to gel across the roster. First year in a long time without Cam Ward as the goalie (which, by the way, they could have kept Ward for like half the price of Jimmy and they didn't want to); Faulk is going to be gone; Skinner is probably going to be gone; Svechnikov and maybe Necas will be pushing for prominent roles with limited professional experience; Hanifin+Lindholm were shipped out for Hamilton.

This is the same kind of roster turnover that the Cavs tried to do at the NBA trade deadline this year. There's no way they are Cup favorites this year, so pursuing an average goalie on the wrong side of 30 with no term doesn't scream "good idea" to me. I mean the return for Faulk is going to play a key role in the turnover they are going for; and the fact that they moved Lindholm and are probably moving Skinner, they are probably going to need to seek an impact forward; preferably a top 6 caliber center that can team with Necas down the middle to get the most out of Aho/Svech.

At this point I can't see a trade happening between DET and CAR without a defenseman going back to CAR, but they just picked up de Haan and that kind of negates CAR's need for a LHD. Unless DET can pawn off somebody on the back end to a different team, which seems doubtful.

While Ward and Howard are the same age, Howard is a much more stabilizing presence in the net. Maybe they'd take Jensen, who knows?

What it comes down to is this: I wouldn't mind Faulk on the team at all, and I'm just trying to find a way to make it work. My first thought was the goatlending issue, because like I said, Darling and Mrazek are going to be... special.

Eh, there's probably not much more point in discussing this aspect of a "trade," because I suck at these.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I don't know, I can't even begin to speculate what happened to him.

While Ward and Howard are the same age, Howard is a much more stabilizing presence in the net. Maybe they'd take Jensen, who knows?

What it comes down to is this: I wouldn't mind Faulk on the team at all, and I'm just trying to find a way to make it work. My first thought was the goatlending issue, because like I said, Darling and Mrazek are going to be... special.

Eh, there's probably not much more point in discussing this aspect of a "trade," because I suck at these.

I guess my last post was more focused on the fact that they aren't ready to win quite yet, but are getting really close to entering that competitive window. I think it would be bad asset management to use a young-ish RHD to acquire a goalie inching closer to retirement. They should use Faulk to target young, skilled forwards and piece together everything up front. Then they can make a little splash and go get the next Grubauer or Raanta or Talbot when they emerge on the scene. Once they get that young goalie in place with all the skaters accumulated with Faulk and Skinner, then you are talking about entering that window which should be sustainable for a while.

Reactions: RedMenace

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015

How does Faulk help us? He's 26, so he doesn't really fit our window. He's mediocre in his own zone and produces like Mike Green. Sure, maybe he bounces back, but you can't bet on that.
As long as we don't give up more than Athanasiou, Svechnikov, and a 2nd round pick I'm okay with it, I just don't see the point.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
How does Faulk help us? He's 26, so he doesn't really fit our window.

Imo, he would fit very well on our window. There has to be some experienced guys playing in front of our 20-year old kids. Those enter prime in proably 5-6 years, then Faulk can give the torch to others and drop to lower pair.

He's mediocre in his own zone and produces like Mike Green. Sure, maybe he bounces back, but you can't bet on that.
As long as we don't give up more than Athanasiou, Svechnikov, and a 2nd round pick I'm okay with it, I just don't see the point.

Better to have two Mike Greens, than one. He is a righty. That's most important. I could trade all our lefties for one righty. We have been lacking good righties since Rafalski retired. Damn tough to find. Pull the trigger when there's a slightest chance.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Imo, he would fit very well on our window. There has to be some experienced guys playing in front of our 20-year old kids. Those enter prime in proably 5-6 years, then Faulk can give the torch to others and drop to lower pair.

Better to have two Mike Greens, than one. He is a righty. That's most important. I could trade all our lefties for one righty. We have been lacking good righties since Rafalski retired. Damn tough to find. Pull the trigger when there's a slightest chance.
That's all well and good, but if the price is too high I don't want to make that move.

FunkyColdZadina

Jun 26, 2018
Faulk would certainly be good for us but I don't see the Hurricanes having much interest in any of our pieces. Larkin is an obvious no-go and I wouldn't want to move Mantha for Faulk.

I would consider Nyquist + AA but Gus has an NTC and only one year left and AA isn't all that enticing in a trade scenario. Probably better served shopping Nyquist at the deadline with retention hoping to get a late 1st.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Faulk would certainly be good for us but I don't see the Hurricanes having much interest in any of our pieces. Larkin is an obvious no-go and I wouldn't want to move Mantha for Faulk.

I would consider Nyquist + AA but Gus has an NTC and only one year left and AA isn't all that enticing in a trade scenario. Probably better served shopping Nyquist at the deadline with retention hoping to get a late 1st.
Carolina needs centers after losing Ryan and Lindholm. The prospect of Athanasiou being better suited at center* and Helm with some money retained would be inciting to them. Add Svechnikov to re-unite the brothers and add value and you've got a deal that makes a lot of sense.

Athanasiou+Helm ($850k retained)+Svechnikov for Faulk.

*I don't know if I read it here or somewhere else but somebody said that Athanasiou is best when he has space to get his speed going instead of starting from a stopped position on the boards like a winger, which I agree with. I know the defensive responsibilities of a center are important, but Carolina's got a lot of good checking wingers they can surround him with.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
If I'm Carolina, that trade package has about as much value to me as a tennis shoe with no laces. Faulk will command either a higher caliber of player, a first round pick, or both.
I think you're over-valuing Faulk. He's basically Mike Green but 26. He's bad in his own zone and was sheltered because of it, getting 58% of his even strength starts in the offensive zone, also most of his production was on the power play. Without Faulk Carolina has...
Slavin - Pesce
De Haan - Hamilton
Fleury - TVR
Not only can they afford to get rid Faulk, but the deal I proposed fills a need. According to Cap Friendly, Carolina only has 3 centers, Staal, Rask, and Teravainen. Teravainen is like Athanasiou in that he hasn't played center in a while, so I'd rather have two guys who might be able to play center in case one of them can't. Helm for only $3mil is a good bottom 6 center and makes them harder to play against, which is one of their goals this offseason. We may not see eye-to-eye on the value of these players, but it doesn't warrant your hyperbolic claim that none they would scoff at this offer.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Carolina is very pro-analytics, so this might help our cause in a swap that involves AA.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
If I'm Carolina, that trade package has about as much value to me as a tennis shoe with no laces. Faulk will command either a higher caliber of player, a first round pick, or both.
Also, if the rumors of Carolina wanting Saad are true, then here are some stats for you.

Brandon Saad: 82GP, 18G, 17A, 35P, 56%CF, 60%oZS, 17:30ATOI
Darren Helm: 75GP, 13G, 18A, 31P, 46%CF, 41%oZS, 15:34ATOI

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Saad had a bad season, and still Carolina was interested. Interesting.

I think they could see over E.Svechnikov's bad season because of that neck injury.

Potential is still there.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
According to Cap Friendly, Carolina only has 3 centers, Staal, Rask, and Teravainen. Teravainen is like Athanasiou in that he hasn't played center in a while, so I'd rather have two guys who might be able to play center in case one of them can't. Helm for only $3mil is a good bottom 6 center and makes them harder to play against, which is one of their goals this offseason. We may not see eye-to-eye on the value of these players, but it doesn't warrant your hyperbolic claim that none they would scoff at this offer.

Aho is more probable Center for the Hurricanes, than Teräväinen ever be. Aho was a Center at World Championships for Finland and scored 9+9=18 points in 8 games. Almost won the scoring title, but Patty Kane was better.

Aho also plays same kind of game like Larionov or Datsyuk played, we will be inserted in the middle at some point of career, maybe already at next season.

Necas could also be projected as a future Center.

Of course they could try AA as a Center, but I think their own options long-term are better. AA wouldn't hurt in the wing, though.

But why not:
(Skinner traded, Williams retired)

Teräväinen - Staal - Aho
E.Svechnikov - Athanasiou - A.Svechnikov
Zykov - Necas - Gauthier
McGinn/Martinook - Rask - Ferland/Mäenalanen

If AA won't work, put Aho in the middle.

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I see no reason for this team to trade inexpensive young talent for soon-to-be expensive veterans.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
This has absolutely no value to anyone in real life.

It has value to Andrei Svechnikov, their cornerstone player, which gives it an intangible value to Carolina. It certainly isn't something they are going out of their way to buy, but I am willing to bet that no trade with Carolina is made without Evgeny going the other way.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It has value to Andrei Svechnikov, their cornerstone player, which gives it an intangible value to Carolina. It certainly isn't something they are going out of their way to buy, but I am willing to bet that no trade with Carolina is made without Evgeny going the other way.

I see it also as an incentive for Andrei's development, not only what Evgeny would bring on the table as an individual. Also if Evgeny has had some mental problems, after mediocre success so far in NHL, this transfer could inspire him.

They also have lived together so long, think the game same ways, kind of like Sedin's. They have different toolboxes, which could complement them if playing together. It seems good on paper. Evgeny crashes the net and Andrei sniper behind the screen. I could see them as linemates with a good playmaking center (Necas, Aho).

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I think this would be the first hockey trade that Holland has made in 16 years, unless you want to count Williams for Calder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad