Rumor: Wings interested in Justin Faulk

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
It has value to Andrei Svechnikov, their cornerstone player, which gives it an intangible value to Carolina. It certainly isn't something they are going out of their way to buy

It has vague and undefined possible value to Andrei, but who cares? He's under team control for like, 6 years. He's not leaving because they didn't hire his family to play with him. He's not going to play less hard because Evgeny isn't on his team. There's no value, whatsoever, to consider Evgeny at above his actual value as an actual player, to the Hurricanes, at this time.

but I am willing to bet that no trade with Carolina is made without Evgeny going the other way.

This is irrelevant to the fact that they're brothers. It would remain a fact if Evgeny's last name was Smith.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think you're over-valuing Faulk. He's basically Mike Green but 26. He's bad in his own zone and was sheltered because of it, getting 58% of his even strength starts in the offensive zone, also most of his production was on the power play. Without Faulk Carolina has...
Slavin - Pesce
De Haan - Hamilton
Fleury - TVR
Not only can they afford to get rid Faulk, but the deal I proposed fills a need. According to Cap Friendly, Carolina only has 3 centers, Staal, Rask, and Teravainen. Teravainen is like Athanasiou in that he hasn't played center in a while, so I'd rather have two guys who might be able to play center in case one of them can't. Helm for only $3mil is a good bottom 6 center and makes them harder to play against, which is one of their goals this offseason. We may not see eye-to-eye on the value of these players, but it doesn't warrant your hyperbolic claim that none they would scoff at this offer.
I agree that Faulk is essentially Green at 26. But I think that AA, Svech, and Helm are each worth jack squat.

What would we expect from a healthy 32 year old Green at the deadline? A late first to early 2nd rounder? And if he were younger and thus could provide more years of service if the team kept him, wouldn't that mean Faulk would be worth as much or more than Green?

If you're dealing an ok trade chip, you don't swap that for 3 low value pieces. You hold out, either for a roughly equal ok trade chip, or you package it with something else to land a bigger fish.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I agree that Faulk is essentially Green at 26. But I think that AA, Svech, and Helm are each worth jack squat.

What would we expect from a healthy 32 year old Green at the deadline? A late first to early 2nd rounder? And if he were younger and thus could provide more years of service if the team kept him, wouldn't that mean Faulk would be worth as much or more than Green?

If you're dealing an ok trade chip, you don't swap that for 3 low value pieces. You hold out, either for a roughly equal ok trade chip, or you package it with something else to land a bigger fish.
That's deadline value though, the teams buying at the deadline are going all in for a cup run. Neither Carolina or Detroit are going all in, they want to address their needs. Therefore a trade involving players instead of picks makes more sense.

And I disagree that Athanasiou, Svechnikov, and Helm are worth jack squat. That's an overly pessimistic view.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That's deadline value though, the teams buying at the deadline are going all in for a cup run. Neither Carolina or Detroit are going all in, they want to address their needs. Therefore a trade involving players instead of picks makes more sense.

And I disagree that Athanasiou, Svechnikov, and Helm are worth jack squat. That's an overly pessimistic view.
Some additional quotes from the Canes board (my explanations in italics):

"Oh man I hope this (Erik Karlsson possibly signing with Tampa Bay) comes true. If I was Waddell I'd be licking my chops waiting for panicking GMs to call on Faulk/Skinner."

"Detroit - I'm sure they'd love to give us AA for Faulk, I'd tell them "get ****ed" if that's the best they can offer. Won't move Larkin."

"Just because Chicago and Detroit are the two teams being discussed in the tweet:
AA = Artem Anisimov = Center for Chicago
AA = Andreas Athanasiou = Big, Fast LW for Detroit (the one of leveled Lack a year or so back)

Athanasiou for TVR (Trevor Van Riemsdyk; a 3rd pairing defenseman who went 3-13-16 in 79 games last year) is a solid deal for both sides. Not sure the Canes are interested in such a minor swap though. I don't move Faulk for either of those options."

Carolina is dealing from a position of strength. They don't HAVE to move Faulk at all, certainly not quickly. Once Karlsson gets dealt, it's very possible that the market will only increase for a 2nd pairing defenseman, and I've yet to hear a single fan outside of the Wings boards have any degree of interest in Darren Helm, Evgeny Svechnikov, or Andreas Athanasiou that would suggest a deal like this could get done (unless a 1st round pick was also stapled to it).

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I would do Nyquist/AA-Svech-2nd/3rd for Faulk. At least as a starting point.

I like Faulk. If Cholo and Hronek become great top four guys our defense all of a sudden looks legit and capable with Faulk and Green too.

He’s 26 and eats minutes. He’s a low end number one and that’s not bad. And it’s not like he’s Jensen

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015

"Oh man I hope this (Erik Karlsson possibly signing with Tampa Bay) comes true. If I was Waddell I'd be licking my chops waiting for panicking GMs to call on Faulk/Skinner."

"Detroit - I'm sure they'd love to give us AA for Faulk, I'd tell them "get ****ed" if that's the best they can offer. Won't move Larkin."

"Just because Chicago and Detroit are the two teams being discussed in the tweet:
AA = Andreas Athanasiou = Big, Fast LW for Detroit (the one of leveled Lack a year or so back)

Athanasiou for TVR (Trevor Van Riemsdyk; a 3rd pairing defenseman who went 3-13-16 in 79 games last year) is a solid deal for both sides. Not sure the Canes are interested in such a minor swap though. I don't move Faulk for either of those options."

Carolina is dealing from a position of strength. They don't HAVE to move Faulk at all, certainly not quickly. Once Karlsson gets dealt, it's very possible that the market will only increase for a 2nd pairing defenseman, and I've yet to hear a single fan outside of the Wings boards have any degree of interest in Darren Helm, Evgeny Svechnikov, or Andreas Athanasiou that would suggest a deal like this could get done (unless a 1st round pick was also stapled to it).
They can overvalue their guys just like we overvalue ours.
Also just because you haven't hear Helm, Athanasiou, or Evgeni talked about on HF doesn't mean their not valuable.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Forget it

We do not have enough of what it would take and what we do gave, we cant, wont or shouldnt move

I hope he goes to boston with EK to tampa. Let those two plus Toronto continue to get better thus pushing us down longer to acquire more high end talent

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Forget it

We do not have enough of what it would take and what we do gave, we cant, wont or shouldnt move

I hope he goes to boston with EK to tampa. Let those two plus Toronto continue to get better thus pushing us down longer to acquire more high end talent
Took my debate to the Canes board with jkutswings, a canes fans proposed AA+Veleno for Faulk+Geekie. Thoughts?

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
I feel like if we get faulk at this point svech will be part of it. Also, I don’t want to get rid of veleno right after we drafted him. Let’s see how he does this year ... maybe even make Canada’s world jr team..

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

HF was also convinced that Tatar was not worth a 1st ++ and we all know how that played out.

People around here are by and large only interested in deals they are clear winners. Fair enough, but that is not an accurate way to value players. People also tend to have minimal knowledge of opposing players.

Now, that's not to say Carolina should or would trade Faulk for AA+ but just because a few internet fans had no interest doesn't mean there is no deal to be made here.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Took my debate to the Canes board with jkutswings, a canes fans proposed AA+Veleno for Faulk+Geekie. Thoughts?

Probably not

I think detroit is far away from being a legit contender, maybe 5-6 years

Stockpile youth and picks, draft top 3 at least twice and overall draft well

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
The only reason you trade Veleno for Faulk is if you think even less of Veleno than I do, or if you think the team is 1-2 years away from a meaningful playoff push. I don't think Faulk would be a valuable member of the team in 5-6 years (though I also don't think you need 20 players on the team who do little beyond providing 'veteran leadership').

No thanks, from me.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
The only reason you trade Veleno for Faulk is if you think even less of Veleno than I do, or if you think the team is 1-2 years away from a meaningful playoff push. I don't think Faulk would be a valuable member of the team in 5-6 years (though I also don't think you need 20 players on the team who do little beyond providing 'veteran leadership').

No thanks, from me.
I'm not a huge proponent of trading Veleno since we just drafted him, but it seems like people are forgetting the Geekie part of the deal.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I don't think it would be wise to trade the assets needed to acquire Faulk.

Rumor has it that the Chicago deal fell through because Carolina asked for Saad.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I'm not a huge proponent of trading Veleno since we just drafted him, but it seems like people are forgetting the Geekie part of the deal.

To be honest, I don't know anything about him other than his box scores and where he was drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->