Rumor: Wings interested in Justin Faulk

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Jimmy is not even in the top 20.

If Jimmy played on a good team, his numbers would look way better than they do. He isn't top 5 or anything like that, but he takes too much flak, as when he is healthy he is very capable of helping good teams win. Our defence is atrocious, any goaltender will wear down as the season goes on, when you are constantly under attack.

Reactions: RedWingsfan55

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Why would they want Howard?

Because Jimmy is a bona fide starter. Scott Darling is not. Sure, the Canes will have a lot tied up in goatlending, but Jimmy's a UFA after this year. They can afford the "sink or swim" risk, especially since they just signed DeHaan.

As stupid as it may sound, Howard for Faulk is a good starting point for both teams. Hell, bring back Mrazek to back up Bernier, fight for a spot with Sateri, or just find his game again in Grand Rapids; any scenario makes the Wings a better team with Faulk on the back end.

... unless you're one of those people who want to see the Wings lose...

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
If Jimmy played on a good team, his numbers would look way better than they do. He isn't top 5 or anything like that, but he takes too much flak, as when he is healthy he is very capable of helping good teams win. Our defence is atrocious, any goaltender will wear down as the season goes on, when you are constantly under attack.
Jimmy is good when he stays healthy yes, key word being when, and it has not been from over work that he has gotten hurt. but sadly in the real world he is not getting younger and is going to get hurt more and more father time catches us all at some point.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Because Jimmy is a bona fide starter. Scott Darling is not. Sure, the Canes will have a lot tied up in goatlending, but Jimmy's a UFA after this year. They can afford the "sink or swim" risk, especially since they just signed DeHaan.

As stupid as it may sound, Howard for Faulk is a good starting point for both teams. Hell, bring back Mrazek to back up Bernier, fight for a spot with Sateri, or just find his game again in Grand Rapids; any scenario makes the Wings a better team with Faulk on the back end.

... unless you're one of those people who want to see the Wings lose...

Goalies just aren’t worth that much. If a deal goes down, the only way I see Howard involved is if it’s to make salary work. Otherwise, I just don’t see it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, I'm sure teams are lining up to take Jimmy "Cultivating Mass" Howard off our hands.

sPCnqyx.png

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Saying that a goalie is good, then immediately making a qualifier, (when he's healthy, when he's on his game, when the defense supports him, etc.) is another way of saying he's not a guy you really want to trade for.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I still believe that Faulk for Athanasiou as a basis for a trade is a great trade for both teams. There would need to be some money added on the Wings' side because of cap implications, but it should work.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Jimmy Howard SV%:
13-14: .910
14-15: .910
15-16: .906
16-17: .927
17-18: .910

League Average SV%:
13-14: .914
14-15: .915
15-16: .915
16-17: .913
17-18: .912

Jimmy Howard: top 12-15 starter.

So since this is an average I assume it includes all goalies from across the league?

Good goalies
Bad goalies
Good teams
Bad reams
Good defences
Bad defences
Young goalies
Old goalies
Healthy goalies
Injured goalies

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I could think Toronto is planning to land Faulk+Skinner, sending Nylander the other way.

I mean that wouldn't be fair.

Skinner - Matthews - Hyman
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Brown - Kadri - Kapanen
Johnsson - Jooris - Leivo

Rielly - Faulk
Gardiner - Hainsey
Zaitsev - Dermott/Carrick/Liljegren

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I mean that wouldn't be fair.

Skinner - Matthews - Hyman
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Brown - Kadri - Kapanen
Johnsson - Jooris - Leivo

Rielly - Faulk
Gardiner - Hainsey
Zaitsev - Dermott/Carrick/Liljegren
It's almost as if Toronto had a (Shana)plan all along. :sarcasm:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
As stupid as it may sound, Howard for Faulk is a good starting point for both teams.

No. No it's not. Not when they can get actual assets from other teams. Go find some Faulk trade threads and look at the names and items being discussed...then try to sub out the best asset in return and sub in Jimmy Howard and tell me if that seems like a basis that makes any sense.

We will take your 26 year old top 4 RHD and in return you can have our 34 year old goalie who probably ranks around league average with streaks of being top 10 and streaks of being barely replacement level.

Reactions: njx9

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't understand this goalie non-sense in this Carolina case.

They already signed Mrazek. And they have Darling. They are set. Period.

What comes to Faulk-trade, our package still starts with Atnasiou and Svechnikov. Those are clear trade baits, just because of the brother-thing and Athanasiou as being our main bait.

Also, now we have surplus in forwards (Carolina's need) and this kind of trade would open the slot for Zadina.

Reactions: KJoe88

masta8

Apr 26, 2018

What comes to Faulk-trade, our package still starts with Atnasiou and Svechnikov. Those are clear trade baits, just because of the brother-thing and Athanasiou as being our main bait.

Also, now we have surplus in forwards (Carolina's need) and this kind of trade would open the slot for Zadina.
Ya I agree, I could really see Carolina wanting Svech from us for faulk because little Svech is there future along with Aho and Necas and would make sense for both teams too.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Jimmy Howard SV%:
13-14: .910
14-15: .910
15-16: .906
16-17: .927
17-18: .910

League Average SV%:
13-14: .914
14-15: .915
15-16: .915
16-17: .913
17-18: .912

Jimmy Howard: top 12-15 starter.
The only year he was above the league average there is in 16-17 and he only played in 26 games that year

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
The only year he was above the league average there is in 16-17 and he only played in 26 games that year

The issue with Howard (which is nothing new) is that he typically plays great until an injury and then just crashes. Always kills his stats.
I have no doubt that if he stayed healthy he would be a top 10-15 goalie, or higher.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Goalies just aren’t worth that much. If a deal goes down, the only way I see Howard involved is if it’s to make salary work. Otherwise, I just don’t see it.

Eh, just like anything else in life, goalies are worth as much as someone's willing to pay for them.

No. No it's not. Not when they can get actual assets from other teams. Go find some Faulk trade threads and look at the names and items being discussed...then try to sub out the best asset in return and sub in Jimmy Howard and tell me if that seems like a basis that makes any sense.

We will take your 26 year old top 4 RHD and in return you can have our 34 year old goalie who probably ranks around league average with streaks of being top 10 and streaks of being barely replacement level.

It was a hypothetical scenario, and we all know how trade threads go around here. Besides, that was just a starting point.

Come on Henkka, you know Darling and Mrazek are going to be a tire fire as a tandem. Securing someone like Howard on an expiring contract would solidify that position for them, not handcuff them for the future -- and let's face it, getting Mrazek back would be hilarious.

Send Howard, Svechnikov, and a pick for Faulk and Mrazek. That way if Darling shits the bed again, at least there's a guy who is a known commodity to take the main workload.

Again, this is all hypothetical. It's never going to happen, but it's fun to think about, so everyone just relaaaaaaaaax.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->