TSN: Wings acquire Alex Nedeljkovic for Bernier and a 3rd

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
After seeing this and them being in on Virtanen

I'm Glad Ned is no long a part of the crappy organization... All of that fun "bunch of jerks" is gone IMO

Now they're just a regular "bunch of jerks"

Slew-Footin' Pesce
Nino N. "occasional cheap-shot artist"
J.Staal - no explanation neded

minus Dougie "I like museums & cash" Hamilton

JB-if they sign him, Mrazek, Skjei & Trochek are the only ones I like + Coach Brind'amour.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This is exactly how Yzerman handled things in Tampa.

In the same calendar year he drafted Vasilevskiy in the 1st round and traded for a 26-year-old Ben Bishop that had 29 career starts. Sound familiar?

If Nedeljkovic pans out, you have a starter that allows your blue chipper to develop. If they both pan out, you have a fantastic trade piece. If only one pans out, you're still good.

And if neither pan out this whole thing is moot and I have an existential crisis.

It's a moo point. It's like a cow's opinion. It doesn't matter.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's a moo point. It's like a cow's opinion. It doesn't matter.
So have we moved on from Space Goat to Space Cow?
Space-Cow-1-448x300.jpg

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
They had literally nothing in the pipeline. The other goalies of any worth decided not to re-sign (Petruzelli) or flopped horribly (Larsson) or simply aren't coming over to NA (Von Pottelberghe, which by the way, what the hell, why can't we have fun things)

This protects them if Nedeljkovic comes here and is nothing but a backup. It allows them to bring Cossa along at an appropriate timeframe and not accelerate him through the system like Petr Mrazek. Nedeljkovic is only signed for two years. I'd actually be pretty floored if Cossa gets more than a game or two at the end of the year with the Wings before Nedeljkovic's 2 year contract runs out. That's how it is with pretty much every move that most people don't get in the NHL. You need depth, everywhere. Edmonton? They could still use C depth even with two of the top 5 Cs in the game. It's also why Carolina and Nashville kept right on adding defensemen even though they had a ridiculously stocked cupboard. Because things can change super fast.

True. And I guess it makes even more sense now since Bernier doesn't seem to be signing with the Canes and possibly going on the market. Wouldn't have been much point in Wings trying to re-sign Bernier considering where they are in their build. Wings look to have gotten one over on the Canes.

And I keep forgetting the Canes waivered Ned not too long ago. And no team picked him up. Which, now looking back, is a bit surprising on both fronts. They must have decided a while ago that he wasn't the guy they wanted to invest in long term. Or I guess, they didn't even think he'd get snatched on waivers and they were right.

Last edited:

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Good for Bernier. He deserves better.

Him and Dougie can enjoy NJ. Or I still think he's a nice option to go back to Colorado if Grubauer can't strike a deal.

Think they wrapped Dougie up for 2 years just yesterday.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Carolina are so weird. They don't want to pay for anything, yet want to do well. Can't have it both ways. "We ain't taking D in the 1st round, we ain't paying our front office guys, we don't want 25 year old low cost goalies, we don't want to pay UFA prices for UFA goalies." Oh, here is a bajillion dollars to join the XFL.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Not that I would trade him, but Colorado is about to be really desperate for a goalie. I'd have to think they would give up way more than a 3rd for Nedeljkovic.

Reactions: 14ari13

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
So, I think getting Ned was a great move. To me he looks like a well above average future starting goalie. I was pretty shocked the Canes moved him honestly.

But this does have me question the Cossa pick. Unless they really don't feel like Ned is good enough long term. In which case, I would wonder why they traded for him.

We traded for Ned because it was a zero risk, potentially high reward trade. Nedeljkovic is significantly more likely to be a starting quality goalie than a 92nd overall pick is of even becoming a 100-game NHLer. You make that trade every single day.

Regardless of what we think of Ned, having absolutely no realistic future NHL goalie talent in the pipeline whatsoever is just bad. We've been drafting goalies in the 3rd-7th rounds routinely for years and have nothing to show for it. The Cossa move was brilliant.

Think of it as when Yzerman drafted Vasilevskiy in the first round the then a couple months later traded Cory Conacher and a 4th for Ben Bishop, who showed similar promise to Nedeljkovic in only 36 career NHL games over a couple of seasons up to that point.

We don't know if Ned/Cossa will be anything remotely as good as Bishop/Vasilevskiy, but it's a pretty calculated strategy that has worked for Yzerman before.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
We traded for Ned because it was a zero risk, potentially high reward trade. Nedeljkovic is significantly more likely to be a starting quality goalie than a 92nd overall pick is of even becoming a 100-game NHLer. You make that trade every single day.

Regardless of what we think of Ned, having absolutely no realistic future NHL goalie talent in the pipeline whatsoever is just bad. We've been drafting goalies in the 3rd-7th rounds routinely for years and have nothing to show for it. The Cossa move was brilliant.

Think of it as when Yzerman drafted Vasilevskiy in the first round the then a couple months later traded Cory Conacher and a 4th for Ben Bishop, who showed similar promise to Nedeljkovic in only 36 career NHL games over a couple of seasons up to that point.

We don't know if Ned/Cossa will be anything remotely as good as Bishop/Vasilevskiy, but it's a pretty calculated strategy that has worked for Yzerman before.

Well put. Makes a lot of sense. There really was no downside in the Ned trade. I still can't fathom what the Canes were thinking though. Now it even looks like they won't be able to sign Reimer. And I think they traded away Mrazek today. That team is on the cusp of some great things. But for some reason they don't like having a good goalie. Mind boggling.

Reactions: 14ari13

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

and then even when Vasilevskiy ended up hitting Tampa still got Cernak for Bishop, if they both work out the Wings can probably get something for Ned that's better than the 3rd rounder they paid for him

Reactions: WaW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad