TSN: Wings acquire Alex Nedeljkovic for Bernier and a 3rd

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I dunno, unless Veleno and Nedejlkovic become impact roster guys the trade might not look so great in a few years. The trade could become Tatar for a backup goalie, a career AHLer, and a third line C, which is kind of a break-even point.
Wow, you're a bigger Debbie Downer than I am, lol.

Veleno will probably be a middle 6 player, but plays with speed, intensity, and physicality that Tats never had. I hope Ned is better than a backup, but even then the team needed a cheap second goalie.

Plus Tats is available in free agency, so we could get him back if we wanted. The trade was worth it just because I got to read the Canes board freak out over this trade.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Wow, you're a bigger Debbie Downer than I am, lol.

The Wings have disappointed me too many times in the last decade for me to get super worked up. Remember, there was a point where we had the best defensive prospects in like three or four different junior leagues simultaneously and busted on all of them. At one point Smith, Almquist, Sproul, Kindl, Ouelette, and Marchenko all projected as top 4 D and not a one panned out.

Sometimes I feel bad for Holland because in the span of like 3 years (2009-2012) he lost an entire group of defenseman, including three HoFers. That's hard to recover from. It also didn't help that we simultaneously had 6 high-level D prospects bust.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The Wings have disappointed me too many times in the last decade for me to get super worked up. Remember, there was a point where we had the best defensive prospects in like three or four different junior leagues simultaneously and busted on all of them. At one point Smith, Almquist, Sproul, Kindl, Ouelette, and Marchenko all projected as top 4 D and not a one panned out.
Well that's what happens when you judge based on stats instead of assessing skill and ability.

I liked what I saw from Veleno in his 5 games. He's young Helm with hands (lol).

Ned? I dunno. I only watched one of the 2 Wings games he played. I'm optimistic though.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
So....does Nedeljkovic become the starting goalie from the get-go?

I see it as a goalie tandem to start with. Greiss received a lot of heat the first month of the season, but when you look at his stats he actually did pretty well down the line.

I tend to think they will pretty much split the starts from the beginning. If Nedeljkovic manages to stay around or above .920 maybe he would get 2/3 or perhaps 3/4 of the games eventually.

I would be gentle on Nedeljkovic to begin with. Also respecting the fact that Greiss is not an amateur novice. He deserves some respect.

Just my two cents.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So....does Nedeljkovic become the starting goalie from the get-go?

I think he is your 1A, they would expect him to get more starts, but you're probably looking at somewhere between 45-55 starts if Ned can stay healthy. I think he is the guy they want to play, but Greiss should get at least 30 games, he is a backup that can contribute. The other big thing for Greiss is to be a mentor to Seider.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
This probably has already been pointed out, but Ken Holland's Tatar trade returned:

1. Veleno
2. Mastrosimone
3. Nedeljkovic

Pretty damn good return!

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
It's showtime...

beetlejuice_keaton_6_copy.jpg

LOL! LOVE IT!

Reactions: Larkin1578

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

I'm glad to see that all of the trade pieces are coming in with the right attitude starting with Vrana. I was impressed with his effort level considering he got traded at the deadline to a cellar team. Leddy and Ned are saying all the right stuff, let's hope they all follow through.

The team still needs a 1C, but the rest of the pieces are coming together

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I think it might turn out Bernier plays great behind their D, while Nedeljkovic plays as terrible as our defence. We will see.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Amidst all the Cossa hype, I took some time away from being excited about our new guy.

But now I'm swinging right back because honestly this is the most talented goalie we've had in the system since Mrazek.

Nedeljkovic plays like a gamer. He's coming to his home state. He plays fast and aggressive. A goalie handling the puck back there will help our transition game so damn much.

I don't know how he'll hold up to playing 50 games, but there's tons to be excited about with this guy. Can't wait to have him anchoring our boys.

Reactions: ThankGord

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Funny how quick goaltending went from the weakest part of the organisation to a strength in about a weeks time. Between Ned and Cossa the wings should have a long term starter that is 25 or younger, possibly 2 of them

Reactions: Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hey, you be nice. He's going to be a great mentor for Lil Sebastian.

BTW I think this trade absolutely ups the odds of Yzerman drafting Cossa if he's lurking around near our 2nd pick. There's less urgency to take a guy like Wallstedt that will be snagged in the teens at the latest, but adding Cossa to our goalie pool... Maaaaybe.

So I wasn't exactly right how it went down, but kinda? A little? Funny reading this a few days later.

Edit: new avatar season, boys!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricelund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad