TSN: Wings acquire Alex Nedeljkovic for Bernier and a 3rd

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Oh nice the Nedeljkovic thread is now the "goalies are replaceable, Cossa was a bad pick and Osgood was a passenger" thread.

Cool, cool.
I didn't think drafting a goalie in the first round was necessary because of the Ned trade, but that's about as far as I'd go in my goalie hate, lol. Goalies are so unpredictable, on and off the ice.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think it was the right time for it, not only because of Nedeljkovic's youth, but because of Bernier's age.

I think Nedeljkovic will have his work cut out for him to match Bernier's play in recent years, but the defense hasn't looked this good, at least on paper, in a long while. I look forward to seeing this team take the ice with him in net.

I think Nedeljkovic also brings a different disposition than Bernier. Bernier can carry the team, but Nedeljkovic still seems a bit more ambitious...maybe it's his age compared to Bernier's.

On the Osgood question...

One of those cups belongs to Osgood. Hasek was the starter, but Osgood had more wins against big teams in the regular season and when the playoffs came, Dom, I love him, but he had to be taken out of net. They put Osgood in for the remainder and they would not have won if they hadn't done so. That was at the end of Hasek's NHL career, but the fact still stands that Osgood was our goalie for that particular cup.

We found out that we needed two good goalies to win a cup pretty early on in that era, even with all-star defense. However, I think there was certain years when having a top ten starter was enough and other years when you needed the number one.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Probably the best scenario for us if both our goalkeepers are struggles . It will be nice to get one of those number one center coming draft . Same time whoud be nice to see kids play well. Hope we don't play defense first next season

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Probably the best scenario for us if both our goalkeepers are struggles . It will be nice to get one of those number one center coming draft . Same time whoud be nice to see kids play well. Hope we don't play defense first next season

I hope we play defence first for next 2 decades.

That should have the identity like Tampa has. They defend well.

We will be scoring more, when he have enough skill and more skill players.

Culture should be the defence, always.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Vitek Vanecek for a 2nd round
Dan Vladar for a 3rd round
Alex Nedeljkovic (and Bernier's rights) for a 3rd round
David Rittich for a 3rd round

It's a far cry from Ryan Miller for a Halak, a 1st and other pieces in 2014.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Goalies are voodoo. Neds could have a great year or flame out and never regain the level he had for a small sample size last year. Let's see how he handles losing. There's gonna be a lot of losing for the duration of his contract.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Some quotes from NHL professionals via The Athletic about our boy Ned.

“I really like Nedeljkovic. I like the way he plays,” a former goalie said. “He seems to read the play really well, he’s always a step ahead. In Detroit, it’s going to be a lot tougher than Carolina. He’s a solid starter, though.”

“He’s the best puck-handling goaltender in the game, and he gets less shots because of it,” an Eastern Conference executive said. “He ran big numbers last year and he wins everywhere he goes. He’s just not a huge man.”
Most panelists thought GM Steve Yzerman made a great bet acquiring Nedeljkovic.

“I like him, I liked him in the AHL and obviously he couldn’t have been asked to do more last season. He needs to prove it over a longer time span to get a higher grade, but I think it’s possible he becomes a good starter,” one scout said.

So nothing too revelatory, other than one exec calling him the best puck-handling goalie in the league. That's pretty cool!

Here's another snippet that wasn't about Ned, it was about Carter Hart, but he got his name dropped.

“Last year really, really set me back on him,” a former goalie said. “I don’t see the quickness that the Shesterkin and the Vasilevskiy and the (Alex) Nedeljkovic have to be able to be in the 1, 2, 3 echelon. I think he’s got good qualities. He’s calm and he’s solid in his structure, but he’s on the edge of that cliff where he either comes back and moves forward or it’s going to be a fall.”

High praise regarding his quickness.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If you guys don't start talking about Ned I swear to god I'm going to turn this thread right around...

And just make a new one and merge these posts. But ho boy will I be shaking my fist when I do it. And then join in on that goalie talk because that's rad.

EDIT: New thread for Osgood and other such talk. See you folks there. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
8 games into his DRW career.

.914 SV%

2.89 GAA

This trade:

17e.jpg

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
the Poker on Hyman, then later point blank "10 Bell Save" on Boucard - per Mick., We got our Goalie.

Goalies. Because it seems Cossa was the cats meow of tenders this last draft. Apparently a few teams wanted him, but Yzerman swiped that rug right out from under them with the draft trade. Wallstedt was the consolation prize.

I like Ned, he's really proving why he was a calder finalist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad