TSN: Wings acquire Alex Nedeljkovic for Bernier and a 3rd

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
Offer him more money?
So you'd rather toss more money at a 32 year old goalie and retain him instead of flipping him and a 3rd for a 25 year old, potential future starter that can stick around through the rebuild and then some? What's the logic behind that? It really doesn't matter if your aging goalie is your MVP when you are still far from making playoffs. No part of that makes sense to me.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Because nobody wanted the $7M cap hit? He had a 10 team NTC, those 10 teams were probably the ones with cap space.

You can't sell what nobody wants.

I think those 4-5 moves are strange, MAF, Nedeljkovic, Bernier, Mrazek, Anderson.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Offer him more money?

He isn't worth more than he got. Lets not overdo how good he was. He played well the last 2 seasons but he also only handled a backups workload with being hurt multiple times. Bernier is more of a 1b goalie than true starter and ideally he is a high end backup.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think those 4-5 moves are strange, MAF, Nedeljkovic, Bernier, Mrazek, Anderson.
Well I can't disagree, all of the goalie moves are strange. You forgot Grubauer and Vanecek. Yeah, I want a 40 YO Craig Anderson.

Bernie though.... I mean if you can put up the numbers he did playing for a crap team, he's worth more than Bob, lol.

The goalie carousel is all about the grass being greener, I guess. Blame the goalie when you lose in the playoffs. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Remember we went through Ozzie, Hasek, CuJo, Hasek, Vernon, Ozzie and something in between (or maybe 2) I can't remember (booze), lol. Gotta make a change for the sake of making change.

Reactions: 14ari13

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Well I can't disagree, all of the goalie moves are strange. You forgot Grubauer and Vanecek. Yeah, I want a 40 YO Craig Anderson.

Bernie though.... I mean if you can put up the numbers he did playing for a crap team, he's worth more than Bob, lol.

The goalie carousel is all about the grass being greener, I guess. Blame the goalie when you lose in the playoffs. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Remember we went through Ozzie, Hasek, CuJo, Hasek, Vernon, Ozzie and something in between (or maybe 2) I can't remember (booze), lol. Gotta make a change for the sake of making change.
I don't follow the NHL and this forum on a daily basis. I check it 1/2 times a week.

If any poster on this forum suggested the moves which we have seen last week, they would be laughed at and bashed to hell. Yet we see these strange moves.

When we got Hasek back in 02, we traded kozlov (top 6 winger) and 2 1st and it was concidered cheap. Now MAF is given away for free and Nedeljkovic is traded for 3rd.

Last edited:

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013

The leafs have done this for years. They don't play team defense at all. When Jack Campbell suddenly played well for 10 games they thought they were set, then he went below .900 save percentage 6 times in the next 11 games. Until they unload a forward or two who doesn't play defense and acquire some solid two-way forwards and a number 1 D man they won't get near a Stanley cup final.

Mrazek is not going to solve their problems.

On the flip side Andersen won't succeed with the Canes after their fire sale.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The leafs have done this for years. They don't play team defense at all. When Jack Campbell suddenly played well for 10 games they thought they were set, then he went below .900 save percentage 6 times in the next 11 games. Until they unload a forward or two who doesn't play defense and acquire some solid two-way forwards and a number 1 D man they won't get near a Stanley cup final.

It's funny how that ONLY defensive forward (Hyman) they got was let walk.

It's even worse now. Totally 1-dimensional. No one doing the dirty work. Foligno didn't stay etc.
They had James van Riemsdyk who went on dirty areas. Gone. They had Komarov, who was nasty to play against. Gone. They had Matt Martin, who was hitting machine and nasty to play against. Gone, both having longer playoff runs at Islanders playoff-styled hockey. They have had all those Babcock-era hard-nosed playoff guys, but let them walk.

This Dubas vision is not working at all. He has built a team based on junior hockey, and not for NHL.

Same disappointment at next season. BOS, TBL and FLO are much more balanced, and more fit to playoff hockey. Same skill + dominate with teamwork, grit and physicality. Will score the ugly goals, when others try to be pretty.

1st round exit for sure for the Maple Leafs. It will be damn angry fan base after next season.

Last edited:

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
It's funny how that ONLY defensive forward (Hyman) they got was let walk.

It's even worse now. Totally 1-dimensional. No one doing the dirty work. Foligno didn't stay etc.
They had James van Riemsdyk who went on dirty areas. Gone. They had Komarov, who was nasty to play against. Gone. They had Matt Martin, who was hitting machine and nasty to play against. Gone, both having longer playoff runs at Islanders playoff-styled hockey. They have had all those Babcock-era hard-nosed playoff guys, but let them walk.

This Dubas vision is not working at all. He has built a team based on junior hockey, and not for NHL.

Same disappointment at next season. BOS, TBL and FLO are much more balanced, and more fit to playoff hockey. Same skill + dominate with teamwork, grit and physicality. Will score the ugly goals, when others try to be pretty.

1st round exit for sure for the Maple Leafs. It will be damn angry fan base after next season.
The question is, with what cap space should they have brought back Hyman?
I know it's popular to shit on the Leafs but I actually believe in them. Marner and Matthews are better two way players than they get credit for, and what people say is them not producing in the playoffs is 24 points in 32 games for Matthews and 25 points in 32 games for Marner. Not the standard they set in the regular season, but they haven't had a deep run to find their playoff groove.
I also like their depth signings this year. Ritchie is a guy they can slot on the top line in Hyman's role for much cheaper. He'll bang bodies down low. Bunting and Kampf are both very solid depth pieces, and Kase is a nice flyer on a guy with skill who's battled injuries for the better part of two years.
Red Wings had the same rep they had in the early 90's. Yzerman was a choker and not a playoff performer. The team wasn't tough enough. Pretty much the same criticisms the Leafs get. All it took was one good run to shatter that.
They got real unlucky this year with Tavares going down, running into a hot price and an elite shut down who could focus on Matthews due to the Tavares injury.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
per Dobber...

Ramblings: E. Kane Gambling Allegations, Bertuzzi Signs, Kuemper, Nedeljkovic (Aug 1)

"
Alex Nedeljkovic

Oh yeah, speaking of goalie values being tied to a team… Nedeljkovic's trade was a surprise, and not in a positive way to his fantasy owners. Sure, Steve Yzerman is rebuilding the Red Wings the right way, but a proper rebuild takes time. Dylan Larkin aside, the Wings' future core players are mostly 21 and under. Nedeljkovic could stick around beyond his two-year contract, which by that time should have the Wings at least out of the basement of the Atlantic Division.

It is possible for a goalie in Detroit to post half-decent numbers over certain stretches, even if the wins don't come often enough. Jonathan Bernier (recently signed with the Devils) posted a .914 SV% in his final season in Detroit, including a .920 SV% in the second quarter and a .925 SV% in the third quarter. In addition, Thomas Greiss posted a 1.17 GAA and .962 SV% over his final seven games. The full-season numbers for both goalies don't look quite as good, as you'd expect.

It's even possible that Nedeljkovic improves on those Detroit goalie numbers. His 15.62 GSAA (goals saved above average) was the fifth-highest total in the league, not to mention his 1.90 GAA and .932 SV% being the strongest in the league among goalies that had played at least 15 games. Between placing him on waivers to send him to the minors and eventually trading him, Carolina didn't seem to value him for some reason. In the end, maybe they felt more comfortable with veteran goalies for their Stanley Cup aspirations as opposed to Ned, who had played only six NHL games prior to 2020-21.

On a Red Wings team that probably won't make the playoffs, Nedeljkovic won't likely record a sub-2.00 GAA or twice as many wins as losses (he finished 15-5-3 in 2020-21). However, it may be better to take a longer-term view of Nedeljkovic beyond the coming season if possible. For this season, though, it is difficult to keep him in the top 100."

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
So you'd rather toss more money at a 32 year old goalie and retain him instead of flipping him and a 3rd for a 25 year old, potential future starter that can stick around through the rebuild and then some? What's the logic behind that? It really doesn't matter if your aging goalie is your MVP when you are still far from making playoffs. No part of that makes sense to me.

That sounds pretty much like the Mrazek/Howard problem a few years ago.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
That sounds pretty much like the Mrazek/Howard problem a few years ago.

It isn’t at all though. Because they signed Howard and had him locked in before mrazek played any consistent hockey at the NHL level. And then Mrazek got a taste of starting because Howard couldn’t stay healthy. Mrazek then went pissy about the Wings not trading away his competition and couldn’t hold onto the net.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The question is, with what cap space should they have brought back Hyman?
I know it's popular to shit on the Leafs but I actually believe in them. Marner and Matthews are better two way players than they get credit for, and what people say is them not producing in the playoffs is 24 points in 32 games for Matthews and 25 points in 32 games for Marner. Not the standard they set in the regular season, but they haven't had a deep run to find their playoff groove.
I also like their depth signings this year. Ritchie is a guy they can slot on the top line in Hyman's role for much cheaper. He'll bang bodies down low. Bunting and Kampf are both very solid depth pieces, and Kase is a nice flyer on a guy with skill who's battled injuries for the better part of two years.
Red Wings had the same rep they had in the early 90's. Yzerman was a choker and not a playoff performer. The team wasn't tough enough. Pretty much the same criticisms the .

But that Red Wings didn't have a cap. They were able to pay for they own stars, and also pay for the depth players, to become stronger.

Leafs is hijacked for those too expensive star contracts in a cap world, which will always leave the depth weak. Somewhere you have hole in the roster, Mrazek is probably the next weak link. And in the long run, that best depth finally will win, because other contenders have their own stars (cheaper) + better depth.

They should trade at least one big contract. That whole contract structure will need a rebuild, as crazy as it sounds.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Is that Elvish on the back plate? Hell yeah.

Looks like it is elvish, what a nerd.

url

maxresdefault.jpg

I love it.

rbartnik

Mar 9, 2019

Legace. You're missing Manny Legace in between.

Reactions: Gniwder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad