Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The Windsor Smiles. Smiles First Stadium. Free crown with every season ticket order

Is this the crown you're talking about?

crown-royal-black-extra-bold.gif

member 71782

Doesn't the sale still have to be approved by the OHL? If the OHL fans continue to complain about these draft picks and question the future of the organization and the OHL, maybe the sale will be rejected?

I don't think Branch has another son willing to step up to GM the Spitfires...

Any former Spits got $12-$13 Million laying around to buy this sinking ship if Parekh gets denied?

Right now, all we're out really is a 5th round pick. I actually like picking up Tovell in the 2nd round, and figure he may have a chance here if Medina doesn't report and there's not a Parekh between the pipes.

yes BoG would still have to approve this sale but outside of a declared move there is very little justification for vetoing the sale.

First off the money. If the value of the Spits franchise has increased so drastically then you would have to assume that all other franchises would have seen similar, not necessarily the same increase in value. To block it and force a sale at a lower price to another party would also negatively affect the value of other franchises, real or perceived. So no owner is going to intentional lower the value of their franchise, real or perceived simply because some fans don't agree with the new owner.

Second, the money. If the BoG cannot give legitimate reason for denying the sale of a willing group to a willing purchaser then forcing the sale at a potentially lower value would provide a direct negative effect for allowing the same transaction to another party. Who's going to pay the difference and if no one is the lawyers will line up.

Third, the money. Plain and simple, the longer this drags on the more costly it becomes to all involved in terms of the team, the league and by default the other franchise owners. The sooner this is resolved through a sale, as there really is no turning back on that from the current ownership group, or at least part of it the sooner damage control and restoring the reputation of the franchise can begin. The longer it drags on the more money the franchise loses, the league loses and by default the other franchise owners lose.

It's a no win for the BoG to veto the sale without another buyer prepared to step in to buy the team. It's a no win for the current ownership or part of it to call the sale off and try to save face. The deal has been speculated to be driven by certain members but those members not holding a majority of the ownership can only be so much of a driving force behind it. Quite honestly the one owner who could save face is the one who is least likely to be in a position to actually put together another ownership group and make the result appear legitimate.

The only solution is a third party stepping up, being able to match the current offer and also be considered legitimate enough to clean up the mess created up to this point.

As for Branch not having another son to fix whatever may happen, I thought full control in Flint was being restored, with some conditions which would free up BB to come and save the day and clean up another franchise that has messed things up.

We're out much more then a 5th. we're out a significant level of respect and legitimacy at this point which will affect all future plans in terms of recruitment and player retention. What brought BB into the equation in other scenarios was not an owner who forced his kid onto a team, it was the fallout amongst the other players and the effect that would have on the future thus making the team and the league less valuable and legitimate in the eyes of future prospects.

The 5th is easy enough to deal with, the uncertainty and lack of trust is not.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
From Jim Parker

The prospective new buyer of the Windsor Spitfires is not making it hard to connect the dots.
On Wednesday, the Spitfires took five-foot-seven, 176-pound defenceman Aydin Parekh with the fifth overall pick in the first round of the Ontario Hockey League’s Under-18 Draft.
The pick comes just four days after the Spitfires made Isa Parekh, a five-foot-nine and a half, 113-pound defenceman that was not rated for Saturday’s OHL Draft, a fifth-round selection.
The two brothers are sons of Smiles First Corporation founder and CEO Dr. Azim Parekh, who is believed to be behind the pitch to purchase the club.
“It’s just a draft,” said Spitfires general manager and minority owner Warren Rychel, who would not talk about the sale of the team. “We went through two drafts and that’s what’s happened. We drafted kids with potential.”
Stats were limited for the 17-year-old Parekh, who split time last season between the North York Rangers minor midgets, junior A Cobourg Cougars and Mississauga Reps major midgets

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
part 2

No word of commitment from Spits top pick Johnston as rumoured sale of team lingers
Rychel was unable to provide a phone number for Parekh or third-round pick Eric Vitale.
“Offensive upside from the blue line and he thinks the game,” Rychel said of Parekh.
In the second round, the Spitfires added six-foot-two, 167-pound goaltender Matthew Tovell, who played with the Kingston Frontenacs minor midgets.
“Tovell was a highly ranked goalie on our list,” Rychel said. “He’s a good goalie and had a great year and was much improved from minor midget.”
The 17-year-old Tovell is from Belleville, but made the drive to play in Kingston.
“I’ve done that three of the last four years,” Tovell said. “It’s definitely a commitment, but if you want something you have to be willing to work for it.”
In 19 games, Tovell posted a 2.74 goals-against average.
“Just throughout the whole season, this is the goal and this is the dream,” Tovell said. “I worked really hard and to be called by anyone is a great feeling. I know they’re a great organization and I’m looking forward to heading there.”
Parekh, Tovell and Vitale are all expected to be in Windsor for a prospects camp at the WFCU Centre on Saturday. Like Parekh, Rychel did not have a number available for Vitale, who split time with the Toronto Jr. Canadiens minor midgets and Toronto Red Wings major midgets this past season.
“Versatile, two-way winger,” Rychel said of Vitale, who is a left-hand shot that plays the right side

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
From Jim Parker

The prospective new buyer of the Windsor Spitfires is not making it hard to connect the dots.
On Wednesday, the Spitfires took five-foot-seven, 176-pound defenceman Aydin Parekh with the fifth overall pick in the first round of the Ontario Hockey League’s Under-18 Draft.
The pick comes just four days after the Spitfires made Isa Parekh, a five-foot-nine and a half, 113-pound defenceman that was not rated for Saturday’s OHL Draft, a fifth-round selection.
The two brothers are sons of Smiles First Corporation founder and CEO Dr. Azim Parekh, who is believed to be behind the pitch to purchase the club.
“It’s just a draft,” said Spitfires general manager and minority owner Warren Rychel, who would not talk about the sale of the team. “We went through two drafts and that’s what’s happened. We drafted kids with potential.”
Stats were limited for the 17-year-old Parekh, who split time last season between the North York Rangers minor midgets, junior A Cobourg Cougars and Mississauga Reps major midgets

Parker wasn't going to get a straight yes.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Honestly, I feel for Rychel right now. My gut is that he's in a really tough spot and there's only so much he can do. Imagine having the world come at you, out of nowhere. How would you react? He's probably as frustrated with all of this as we are.

member 71782

From Jim Parker

part 2

No word of commitment from Spits top pick Johnston as rumoured sale of team lingers
Rychel was unable to provide a phone number for Parekh or third-round pick Eric Vitale.
“Offensive upside from the blue line and he thinks the game,” Rychel said of Parekh.
In the second round, the Spitfires added six-foot-two, 167-pound goaltender Matthew Tovell, who played with the Kingston Frontenacs minor midgets.
“Tovell was a highly ranked goalie on our list,” Rychel said. “He’s a good goalie and had a great year and was much improved from minor midget.”
The 17-year-old Tovell is from Belleville, but made the drive to play in Kingston.
“I’ve done that three of the last four years,” Tovell said. “It’s definitely a commitment, but if you want something you have to be willing to work for it.”
In 19 games, Tovell posted a 2.74 goals-against average.
“Just throughout the whole season, this is the goal and this is the dream,” Tovell said. “I worked really hard and to be called by anyone is a great feeling. I know they’re a great organization and I’m looking forward to heading there.”
Parekh, Tovell and Vitale are all expected to be in Windsor for a prospects camp at the WFCU Centre on Saturday. Like Parekh, Rychel did not have a number available for Vitale, who split time with the Toronto Jr. Canadiens minor midgets and Toronto Red Wings major midgets this past season.
“Versatile, two-way winger,” Rychel said of Vitale, who is a left-hand shot that plays the right side

Good to see Parker step up and try to shed some light on the situation. There have been times in the past where many have seen him as nothing more than part of the PR for the team but now, when it's need most he is doing the job as most fans would appreciate it being done.

Reactions: OHL4Life

comment ca va

Sep 18, 2018
Honestly, I feel for Rychel right now. My gut is that he's in a really tough spot and there's only so much he can do. Imagine having the world come at you, out of nowhere. How would you react? He's probably as frustrated with all of this as we are.

He might have a few million reasons not to be

Reactions: Otto

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

yes indeed.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011

Feel for him...are you kidding me. Id like to try that 13 million dollar tough spot from him.Give me a friggin break!!!

member 71782

While we don't always/usually see eye to eye I would agree that Rychel is in the toughest in all of this. He's the face of the franchise and potentially if things go through as rumoured will continue to be the face of the franchise from the management side. While he becomes the easy target/scapegoat he is also about the only one currently involved who could bring legitimacy to all of this if they could find a way out through another party/group stepping up and he remained a part of it.

He's in a tough spot and while I've been critical of him, the last couple of years in particular I haven't and I don't think many others would every question his commitment. His chosen ways to do/handle things at times and certain decisons? Yes but never his commitment.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Having money is great but that doesn't eliminate any frustration from this.
I've admired you for your positivity in this forum for a long time, it's tough in this environment to stay up beat when it feels like everyone is coming after you....

That being said... have you gone mad???

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Feel for him...are you kidding me. Id like to try that 13 million dollar tough spot from him.Give me a friggin break!!!

So, if you owned something for 13+ years, put your heart and soul into it, and then, with the flick of a switch, all this happened...you wouldn't be frustrated? Judging by what we've seen so far, this isn't the Rychel we've come to know. Money is great and does a lot, but he's seen money his whole life. This whole thing has become a cluster and it's pretty clear to me that he's doing his best to deal with it. Fans aren't happy, probably the angriest I've seen them in fact, and it's very new territory. I doubt anyone wanted it to turn out like this.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Listen.....Warren didnt need to take this job with this new owner.He could have said no.Didnt he see this train wreck coming??? He thought Windsor fans and hockey fans in general were going to give the thumbs up to this.???

He's complicit in all of this as the Daddy imo.

At least Boogie and Cypher have left the building.

member 71782

You have to remember Rychel I believe has the least to gain in all of this and yet he is the one taking all the heat. Don't see any other members of this group or the other stepping up to try to deal with things in any way, shape or form. It's the one with the least benefit taking the most heat. Would be nice to see his partners step into the spotlight to share the attention.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
So, if you owned something for 13+ years, put your heart and soul into it, and then, with the flick of a switch, all this happened...you wouldn't be frustrated? Judging by what we've seen so far, this isn't the Rychel we've come to know. Money is great and does a lot, but he's seen money his whole life. This whole thing has become a cluster and it's pretty clear to me that he's doing his best to deal with it. Fans aren't happy, probably the angriest I've seen them in fact, and it's very new territory. I doubt anyone wanted it to turn out like this.
I'm not sure how he expected it to turn out... you said it yourself... 5th round... could have easily buried the kid in the 12th

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You have to remember Rychel I believe has the least to gain in all of this and yet he is the one taking all the heat. Don't see any other members of this group or the other stepping up to try to deal with things in any way, shape or form. It's the one with the least benefit taking the most heat. Would be nice to see his partners step into the spotlight to share the attention.

Agreed. Now that Boughner is done with the Panthers, I'd love to hear from him and the Savages.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm not sure how he expected it to turn out... you said it yourself... 5th round... could have easily buried the kid in the 12th

Unless we're in the room, we don't know WHO made that pick. There's a huge difference between "This kid should have been rated 5th round, so let's snag him now!" and "Soooo.... we need to take this kid. Don't ask, just do it." Rychel has always done well with mid-rounds, very few controversies. This was too odd to ignore.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011

No its not..but money changes people we all know that.

Dont tell me that the Daddy didnt tll him his intentions before hand.....did he just spring them on him last Sat and tonight.Cmon now.......dont BS a BS'er.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
It's not over and not old news. It's literally unfolding as we speak. While the "move on" attitude might work with some situations, you're asking a fan base who has gone through a hell ringer over the last week to suddenly go "you're right... all is normal here. Okay, what's on Survivor tonight??" That's not going to happen and that's coming from a guy who's pretty optimistic 90% of the time. You don't draft an "unrated" player in the fifth round unless there's something going on. You take that player later in the "friends and family" rounds... that's common knowlege in the O.

Frankly, your post comes across as a bit more "I know these guys" than anything...
Oh get ready. The trolls and negative Nancy's are a whole another level when you got Daddy owner issues. Getsit already posted on the Flint thread earlier this week before wandering over here. There's speculation it's the 3rd alternate user name for everybody's least favorite Firebirds poster. Luckily 98% of the doomsday prophecies turned out wrong. It will not be hard to rally Flint fans to your side and I'll get around to emailing Branch tonight or tomorrow and it looks like fans around the league will definitely make a push to save you guys from this potential nightmare.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad