Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
They may not make the roster. Windsor has it's top 5 spots locked up and also has Stevenson as an OA (who may not be good enough and let go, but who knows). Unless his kids can win the 3rd RD spot or a depth spot, they may not end up on the team. And Jodoin was already drafted higher (4th round) than Isa (5th round). I'd also expect Windsor to make a trade to add another veteran presence to the defense since it'll be pretty young, so it could be really tough for the Parekh's to really get much ice time next year (at least).
They'll make the roster if Daddy is writing the coaches' cheques.

Reactions: Sec108

Spits1963

Dec 17, 2014
ALL true OHL fans need to take a stand (not just Windsor fans). If this can happen to the Spitfires, it can happen to anyone. Branch has to put a stop to this craziness NOW!
Thanks for the support
You are so right,,, this has become a league issue because of this guys arrogance

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Thanks for the support
You are so right,,, this has become a league issue because of this guys arrogance
The players that are the most impacted are the two players that worked hard, got drafted, but will get cut because two spots on the team are already reserved for players that didn't earn them.....kind of like the US college admissions scam (just the Canadian hockey version).

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
(Windsor, ON) – With the fifth overall pick in the 2019 Ontario Hockey League Under-18 Priority Selection, general manager Warren Rychel has chosen Aydin Parekh.
Parekh, 17, is a 5’7, 176 pound defenceman that split the 2018-19 season between the Mississauga Reps and North York Rangers.
In the second round, with the #25 overall pick, Rychel took goalie Matthew Tovell from the Kingston Frontenacs.
The 17-year-old checks in at 6’2 and 174 lbs, having posted a 2.74 goals against average in 19 games played.
In the third and final round, with the #45 pick, we selected Eric Vitale, a 6’2, 161-pound right winger from the Toronto Junior Canadiens.
All three players are expected to be at this Saturday’s Mini-Ca

Reactions: LDN

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Start writing letters folks. Branch, old owners, and the mayor, he’s got a stick in this he should have something to say. We’re gonna have to get vocal and loud!! I hope the league wide support comes in droves! Your right, it can happen anywhere if this is allowed!! I’m already getting a sore thumb let’s get busy!!
I'll send something tomorrow.. I'm one of the few if not only fans that has defended Branch in the past... I'll use that..

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
The players that are the most impacted are the two players that worked hard, got drafted, but will get cut because two spots on the team are already reserved for players that didn't earn them.....kind of like the US college admissions scam (just the Canadian hockey version).
the whole teams going to get traded so he can sign his cousins, neighbours, etc. in return they get a bunch of draft picks in 2022 so they can draft the youngest Parekh and the rest of his team

OHLInsiders

Mar 9, 2014
Where's the Hockey News and their reporters this stuff is one for the books..........

Agreed. I think I'm the only one with quotes from Azim tho. I think he talked and then quickly was reprimanded by current ownership/lawyers for breaking the Non-Disclosure Agreement which they are currently in.

He said he would call me again during the draft on Saturday, then we will have a follow up call after that, and then we are to meet in person after that. He did not call me on Saturday, blocked me on twitter & stopped returning texts. So...Fair assumption he was disciplined I think.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
(Windsor, ON) – With the fifth overall pick in the 2019 Ontario Hockey League Under-18 Priority Selection, general manager Warren Rychel has chosen Aydin Parekh.
Parekh, 17, is a 5’7, 176 pound defenceman that split the 2018-19 season between the Mississauga Reps and North York Rangers.
In the second round, with the #25 overall pick, Rychel took goalie Matthew Tovell from the Kingston Frontenacs.
The 17-year-old checks in at 6’2 and 174 lbs, having posted a 2.74 goals against average in 19 games played.
In the third and final round, with the #45 pick, we selected Eric Vitale, a 6’2, 161-pound right winger from the Toronto Junior Canadiens.
All three players are expected to be at this Saturday’s Mini-Ca
Can't believe I'm saying this but...looking forward to reading the reviews from Windsor's mini camp this weekend

Reactions: OHLTG

nofriendsinhockey

Aug 31, 2018
This is nothing new. Its been happening for years in the GTHL. This is just on a much larger scale. Its his MO. Its the new way. Lots, I mean lots of skeletons in the closet

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
This is nothing new. Its been happening for years in the GTHL. This is just on a much larger scale. Its his MO. Its the new way. Lots, I mean lots of skeletons in the closet

And in these other countries everything is done under handed, I work with these new comers I know how they think, theyre kids have to be #1 they go yell at teachers if the kid dosnt get an A in everything deserving or not.Its all prestige and being better then the others in their culture.Anyway possible..........thats where we collide,Canadians dont think that way for the most part, but yes some hockey parents do.

Spits1963

Dec 17, 2014
They may not make the roster. Windsor has it's top 5 spots locked up and also has Stevenson as an OA (who may not be good enough and let go, but who knows). Unless his kids can win the 3rd RD spot or a depth spot, they may not end up on the team. And Jodoin was already drafted higher (4th round) than Isa (5th round). I'd also expect Windsor to make a trade to add another veteran presence to the defense since it'll be pretty young, so it could be really tough for the Parekh's to really get much ice time next year (at least).
Not if Warren is forced to trade a few defensemen to make room. We know since Saturday who is running the team

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Might be the biggest crowd for a rookie camp in Windsor history.
I hope everyone shows their displeasure at the rink.
Might be standing room only.....get there early.

Windsor Police might have to direct traffic on Mchugh........

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
They'll make the roster if Daddy is writing the coaches' cheques.

I think it'll be tough to justify having Isa on the team at his size and the fact that he was only a 5th rounder. Like I said, I fully expect Windsor to add a veteran defensemen to replace some of the ones they may end up losing too, so that means at best they'd be depth guys. Maybe Aydin will a 7th defenseman next year, but even then he's going to need to beat out other prospects/FA's to do it.

Nepotism will only take you so far, even in the OHL. Even Nilsen was only a 7th defenseman in Flint after he was drafted in the 7th round (as an older player), and Flint's defense was not as good as Windsor's will be next year. When Rolf tried to step in to get Hakon more ice time (and did so by firing the coaching staff, which is really the only power Rolf had), he got severely reprimanded. I bet they won't be afraid to do the same (or worse) with Parekh, since it would be the second time in recent history. Ultimately, Nilsen did not really steal a spot away from anyone who really deserved the job more than he did over the course of his career, so what people are actually worried about is that it'll lead to more severe ownership meddling and good prospects not wanting to come to the team.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Ultimately, Nilsen did not really steal a spot away from anyone who really deserved the job more than he did over the course of his career, so what people are actually worried about is that it'll lead to more severe ownership meddling and good prospects not wanting to come to the team.

I think this is one of the key issues. We saw the turmoil in Flint and nobody wants that for their team. Realistically, nobody is going to allow this to become a colossial garbage show, to the point where players are on the first line and doing horribly. Other stuff could happen, though, and no doubt the league is keeping an eye on it.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
I think this is one of the key issues. We saw the turmoil in Flint and nobody wants that for their team. Realistically, nobody is going to allow this to become a colossial garbage show, to the point where players are on the first line and doing horribly. Other stuff could happen, though, and no doubt the league is keeping an eye on it.
Your right , after the initial shock and humour of this $hitshow....both sons with their size will maybe never realistically make the lineup, bu its the damage this has caused from a 1st rd pick to maybe no show to current players very worried and their parents and this carrying on to the next draft.I just cant believe no one has even tried to put out this fire.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Barrie selected Sam Williamson tonight. He’s the son of Marty Williamson, the Colts new Director of Hockey Ops.

Just sayin’ Windsor isn’t the only franchise with some, um, interesting player selections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad