Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Barrie selected Sam Williamson tonight. He’s the son of Marty Williamson, the Colts new Director of Hockey Ops.

Just sayin’ Windsor isn’t the only franchise with some, um, interesting player selections.
Did they select him in the first round after taking his unranked brother in the 5th round on Saturday?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not if Warren is forced to trade a few defensemen to make room. We know since Saturday who is running the team

Warren can always say 'no'. It's one thing to spend a U18 pick, which is practically worthless, and a 5th round pick on selecting the new owner's sons, even if Isa was 2-4 rounds too high. A slight gesture of goodwill to the new owner which really does not hamper the team all that much. It's another to totally cripple your team with stupid moves because you have to force guys who are not good enough into the lineup. Warren can say 'no', and then maybe Parekh fires him, but then the OHL will step in just like they did with Rolf, slap a serious suspension and fine on him and likely force the guy to re-hire everyone if they want back in. Depending on how blatant it is, they may even force Parekh to sell the team like they can force Rolf if he interferes with Hockey Ops in the next two years.

I know the OHL Board is not exactly the most competent group of people, but selecting the guys' sons in ranges that are not totally outrageous is not enough for them to step in and do anything. Insignificant damage has been done at this point, and while there are many fans fearing for the worst (i.e. Flint 2.0), I do not think there is a guarantee that happens. Even taking ownership out of the equation, Windsor has a lot more going for it than Flint ever did, so wait until players actually start wanting out/not wanting to come to Windsor, or for the Parekh's to actually make the team, before you really start panicking.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think this is one of the key issues. We saw the turmoil in Flint and nobody wants that for their team. Realistically, nobody is going to allow this to become a colossial garbage show, to the point where players are on the first line and doing horribly. Other stuff could happen, though, and no doubt the league is keeping an eye on it.

I doubt it even gets half as far as it did for Windsor.

Mostly because you'd have to expect Branch's job to be on the line if it did. Getting fooled for the same terrible thing twice in the course of 3 years, compounded with a number of other issues within the OHL, is not a good look for the guy sticking around.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Nothing has happened yet (next year's roster is still TBD). The s*** will only really hit the fan when 2 deserving kids get cut (that shouldn't be cut) because their last names aren't Parekh.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Basically the BoG need to weigh the pros of Windsor sucking with the cons of how bad this situation makes the entire league look.

Eventually it'll get to the point where prospects won't want to come to the OHL at all for fear their team gets sold to someone stupid.

If it happens to Windsor, it can happen to anyone really.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Eventually it'll get to the point where prospects won't want to come to the OHL at all for fear their team gets sold to someone stupid.

If it happens to Windsor, it can happen to anyone really.
This is especially true for the American kids. NCAA programs can't be bought.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012

Attachments

• tweet.jpg
    tweet.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 145

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Interesting... member since... yesterday ...this just keeps getting worse

I actually noticed his ‘let’s stop talking about this’ Schtick yesterday, didn’t put it together until you mentioned it...

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
I think what's happening in the USA is a little different... for starters, what's happening here isn't illegal
Unfortunately, you are correct. However, Branch and company CAN put a stop to it. If they can let this happen in Windsor, it can happen to any OHL franchise....that's the scary part and that's why I give a damn. Although I'm obviously not a Spitfires fan, I am a fan of the OHL and the kids that play OUR game.

member 71782

So the off season is barely two weeks old for Windsor and we already need part two to the off season thread.

Don't know what to say about this other than it's been handled badly by all involved and it's not going to get any better regardless of the outcome. Windsor fans and fans across the league will not support either the franchise and more importantly the potential downside of what may transpire if this sale goes through. On the flip side I would imagine even if the sale were called off how much faith has been lost in this current ownership group, not for looking to sell the team but the chosen path and potential buyer involved in the sale.

Either way, all ways the damage has been done and quite honestly the only way to fix it would likely be a sale to another buyer/group of buyers who have some basic understanding of what an OHL franchise means to a city, the required knowledge involved in running a successful franchise and the expectations of those who truly want to see not this and other franchises succeed but the league as a whole.

All involved have responsibility in this and the league will also have responsibility as well if they approve this deal in the end which quite frankly they really don't have any options not to without further complicating the matter.

No one in the league would assist in a sale if the price currently offered cannot be matched, this would leave the current owners legal grounds to seek the difference and any other costs but at the same time allowing this to go threw, well the entire league after the recent issues with other franchises would be solely responsible for allowing the potential of another mess to develop.

The entire league is going to lose over this and Windsor fans in particular will be left dealing with the mess.

Good luck Branch, you will have to pull off something pretty amazing to salvage this without further damage.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Doesn't the sale still have to be approved by the OHL? If the OHL fans continue to complain about these draft picks and question the future of the organization and the OHL, maybe the sale will be rejected?

I don't think Branch has another son willing to step up to GM the Spitfires...

Any former Spits got $12-$13 Million laying around to buy this sinking ship if Parekh gets denied?

Right now, all we're out really is a 5th round pick. I actually like picking up Tovell in the 2nd round, and figure he may have a chance here if Medina doesn't report and there's not a Parekh between the pipes.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Barrie selected Sam Williamson tonight. He’s the son of Marty Williamson, the Colts new Director of Hockey Ops.

Just sayin’ Windsor isn’t the only franchise with some, um, interesting player selections.

a 3rd (from what i’ve read) in the U18 draft compared to pick 5 in the U18 draft where you can potentially get an OHL player or call up + your 5th in the actual draft. then goes on to draft two of the sons friends. and that was the owner in charge of all that. Williamson is an employee, not the owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad