Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
To fireball

Terrific post. Fans will value 2017 how they want. What can't be disputed is that type of blueprint is extremely poor in regards to looking at how a team should be built. We are now going into the 3rd year since the Memorial Cup and there are still more questions than answers. From that perspective the building of this team should be put into question.

Reactions: FireBall959

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
This is the most depressing part of the year - the Offseason thread.

I've developed the habit of occasionally visiting the Windsor thread to see one of their regulars find a positive spin to most situations. In their absence, they might have claimed that the Spitfires have exhibited the MOST CONSISTANCY in getting to the offseason.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
OHL4Life in regards to Boka/Purboo. I don't get the idea that Letowski actually knows how to do that. In regards to Purboo I see a guy that's extremely up and down when it gets down to tight checking he disappears. Boka is limited to begin with and like you said the coach doesn't know how to utilize him. I would be surprised if he's back that in his 5th year this coach suddenly switches things up. He catered to him this year I don't see how his final year would change much. I don't know what happens from now until opening night but I can imagine there will be some unhappy fans if Letowski is still behind the bench.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
OHL4Life in regards to Boka/Purboo. I don't get the idea that Letowski actually knows how to do that. In regards to Purboo I see a guy that's extremely up and down when it gets down to tight checking he disappears. Boka is limited to begin with and like you said the coach doesn't know how to utilize him. I would be surprised if he's back that in his 5th year this coach suddenly switches things up. He catered to him this year I don't see how his final year would change much. I don't know what happens from now until opening night but I can imagine there will be some unhappy fans if Letowski is still behind the bench.
Rayzor, what do you think of Angle? Of Windsor's vets, he stood out to me. I just don't watch the Spits as much as you and others.

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

i just dont see the benefit of moving guys out when youll just have to move picks to get guys who may end up just as good as the guys you moved out. save the picks. if a kid comes in and takes boka/purboo's job, great, run with 1 less OA. i dont want to see anymore picks thrown away for average players.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
i just dont see the benefit of moving guys out when youll just have to move picks to get guys who may end up just as good as the guys you moved out. save the picks. if a kid comes in and takes boka/purboo's job, great, run with 1 less OA. i dont want to see anymore picks thrown away for average players.

I don't want picks thrown away for players either but under a situation where the more talented players get more ice.

Foudy
Cuylle
Angle
D'Amico
Frasca
Douglas
McDonald
1st round pick
Playfair

If you ran with those 9 on your top 3 lines there isn't a reason to have Boka/Purboo on your 4th line imo. At the very least we could make the case for one of Purboo/Boka not returning.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Rayzor, what do you think of Angle? Of Windsor's vets, he stood out to me. I just don't watch the Spits as much as you and others.

Thought he made a nice jump this year, skates well. The question is whether he can take the larger jump of 20 goal scorer to 30+ goal scorer. Imo the jump isn't as difficult to go from 10 goal scorer to 20 goal scorer. The Spits will be returning 5 20 goal guys unfortunately after that it drops off a cliff. Either those 5 have to take a big jump into 30 goal territory or your 6-7 other forwards have to really improve to give support to those other 5 guys.

Reactions: nelli27

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Just for clarification - when I referred to 2017 earlier, I meant developing a goaltender. DiPietro was done the proper way, now you do Piiroinen the same way. I'd hate to see it go back to the carousel.

Regarding Angle - he alsso missed 10 games so he could have had 22-24 goals had he been healthy. I don't see 30 being out of the question, esp. with how he played down the stretch.

Re Boka - I think his return depends on the offseason. I don't see him returning if he's a third-or-fourth line guy.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Just for clarification - when I referred to 2017 earlier, I meant developing a goaltender. DiPietro was done the proper way, now you do Piiroinen the same way. I'd hate to see it go back to the carousel.

Regarding Angle - he alsso missed 10 games so he could have had 22-24 goals had he been healthy. I don't see 30 being out of the question, esp. with how he played down the stretch.

Re Boka - I think his return depends on the offseason. I don't see him returning if he's a third-or-fourth line guy.

Boka is NOTHING more than a 3rd more like 4th line person. If coaching thinks he is worth more they r off their rocker!
Trade him would be best.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I’ve got some ideas lol. Go figure right. If goalie is there in second I grab him. Highly doubtful tho. I use both first rnd picks on D men if available, no reaches. You can’t just dump Boka and or Purboo. But advise them both they are 3-4 line guys. Boka still is a solid PK guy use him properly. Purboo has improved every year. Those goals streaky or not count. Use him. All this is based on a new coaching staff of course!! That is a must. That said I keep goalie coach. Perry knows his stuff!! No way on earth DJ lands in junior hockey, he’s one of the next head coaches in the show! Lots of possible new head coaches out there. This is WR biggest challenges to date! If TL is here next year it’s purely a money decision and that will make many STM decision easy for them. I’m still hopeful this turns around quick, with the right moves it can be. I remember when drafted WR said Playfair would be a captain in this league maybe it’s time. Most if not all of the pieces here are useful assets but they gotta be used correctly. The player mis-management has been epic this year. Many more of seasons like this will start to sour potential players. Windsor is still a highly regarded place to play but it won’t be if this is allowed to continue! Draft day can’t come soon enough for me.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I’ve got some ideas lol. Go figure right. If goalie is there in second I grab him. Highly doubtful tho. I use both first rnd picks on D men if available, no reaches. You can’t just dump Boka and or Purboo. But advise them both they are 3-4 line guys. Boka still is a solid PK guy use him properly. Purboo has improved every year. Those goals streaky or not count. Use him. All this is based on a new coaching staff of course!! That is a must. That said I keep goalie coach. Perry knows his stuff!! No way on earth DJ lands in junior hockey, he’s one of the next head coaches in the show! Lots of possible new head coaches out there. This is WR biggest challenges to date! If TL is here next year it’s purely a money decision and that will make many STM decision easy for them. I’m still hopeful this turns around quick, with the right moves it can be. I remember when drafted WR said Playfair would be a captain in this league maybe it’s time. Most if not all of the pieces here are useful assets but they gotta be used correctly. The player mis-management has been epic this year. Many more of seasons like this will start to sour potential players. Windsor is still a highly regarded place to play but it won’t be if this is allowed to continue! Draft day can’t come soon enough for me.
As I've said before regarding next years potential O/A players...Boka, Purboo, Stephenson, Incze and Garagan...These 5 have options. We can't count on any of them returning. While WR might like to have his pick of the litter he might not get his wish..Their choices are education, lower pro ranks and other CHL teams (any teams not named Spitfires). In other words either trade me where I want or I'll go to school on your $$... BTW... attendance for the last game of the season was 2889

Last edited:
Reactions: Sec108

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
As for Bret Harrison not reporting bc he wants to be a Knight......tough. Let London anty up some needed picks for him.

Arron Backhouse

Mar 25, 2019
Hopefully WR can look at this season as a building block for the team. I think that you can easily replace the production of the departing OA's in Allen & Campbell from within having Robinson for a full season along with having Cuylle, McDonald, Foudy & Frasca taking on more in their 2nd season. I personally don't expect/believe that having Garagan will be one of the OA's heading into next season but having Boka & Purboo back will help us until they hopefully get traded I think WR gets another OA for the back end other then Stevenson someone who can contribute more offensively. Ladd, Staios, Henault & Corcoran have made improvements but can still do better. Hopefully Corcoran will get a decent look with Chicago in the AHL for Vegas who are first in the Central Division oddly with Rocky that can help improve his game for next season. Angle, Playfair & D'Amico showed good strides this year also like Corcoran hopefully Douglas will get a decent look with Texas in the AHL for Dallas. The Goalie should be Piiroinen going forward & either Someone we already have drafted, drafting someone this year or bringing in someone else to help Piiroinen

The Forward group would have 10 returning players in Angle, Frasca, Cuylle, Playfair, Mcdonald, Purboo, D'Amico, Douglas, Boka & Foudy. The Defence would have 5/6 based on if Stevenson does come back for his OA year along with Ladd, Robinson, Corcoran, Henault & Staios. The returning Goaltender would be Piiroinen making it a total of 17 to return next season

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Hopefully WR can look at this season as a building block for the team. I think that you can easily replace the production of the departing OA's in Allen & Campbell from within having Robinson for a full season along with having Cuylle, McDonald, Foudy & Frasca taking on more in their 2nd season. I personally don't expect/believe that having Garagan will be one of the OA's heading into next season but having Boka & Purboo back will help us until they hopefully get traded I think WR gets another OA for the back end other then Stevenson someone who can contribute more offensively. Ladd, Staios, Henault & Corcoran have made improvements but can still do better. Hopefully Corcoran will get a decent look with Chicago in the AHL for Vegas who are first in the Central Division oddly with Rocky that can help improve his game for next season. Angle, Playfair & D'Amico showed good strides this year also like Corcoran hopefully Douglas will get a decent look with Texas in the AHL for Dallas. The Goalie should be Piiroinen going forward & either Someone we already have drafted, drafting someone this year or bringing in someone else to help Piiroinen

The Forward group would have 10 returning players in Angle, Frasca, Cuylle, Playfair, Mcdonald, Purboo, D'Amico, Douglas, Boka & Foudy. The Defence would have 5/6 based on if Stevenson does come back for his OA year along with Ladd, Robinson, Corcoran, Henault & Staios. The returning Goaltender would be Piiroinen making it a total of 17 to return next season
Douglas and Corcoran are NHL or OHL, they are too young to play in the AHL.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Now that I've got a few min to myself, some thoughts on last night:

Good:

- I liked the early work ethic. They weren't as energetic as I had expected but that didn't stop them from working.
- When he's not playing 40 min a night, Corcoran can really get the job done.
- Piiroinen (save for that one goal) played well. He's getting confidence, which I like.
- Allen kept his composure and I appreciated that. Wouldn't have minded if he took matters into his own hands, if necessary, but he played a classy game.
- Props to the coaches for putting Campbell/Allen out for the final minute.

Bad:

- Let's be honest, that third goal was a rookie mistake. It happens to goalies.
- The Spits stopped skating in the third. They knew it was done, which was disappointing.
- While I appreciate the reason for pulling the goalie... why bother? Put the full-court press on and see what happens.
- A handful of the veterans were invisible. I won't name specific players but I will say I liked Douglas' effort.

You don't want to lose a game like that but you accept it, learn from it, and use the experience for next season (which Cuylle has said he'll be doing). The future is bright, just need to make some moves.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I don't want picks thrown away for players either but under a situation where the more talented players get more ice.

Foudy
Cuylle
Angle
D'Amico
Frasca
Douglas
McDonald
1st round pick
Playfair

If you ran with those 9 on your top 3 lines there isn't a reason to have Boka/Purboo on your 4th line imo. At the very least we could make the case for one of Purboo/Boka not returning.

purboo almost scored 30 goals this year, its not like hes a plug. he may not apply himslef as much as youd like but hes going to be a quality oa. id rather keep him instead of assuming that the 1st round pick can play alot of minutes right away. let him come in and get 10 minutes right away and force your hand. im not a playfair guy but hell be a good 3rd line player.

that list is missing one top 6 forward imo, purboo could be that guy.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

if boka doesnt want to be a third line guy and pouts about it, sorry but see you later. your 20 and got 12 goals this year, your a third line guy. want more ice? produce.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
As for Bret Harrison not reporting bc he wants to be a Knight......tough. Let London anty up some needed picks for him.

dont argue but not sure this is the year for that, they need a top and guy, and to be honest they could take someone else who would be just as good.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
if boka doesnt want to be a third line guy and pouts about it, sorry but see you later. your 20 and got 12 goals this year, your a third line guy. want more ice? produce.

I think he has to be a third line guy at-best, but that depends on who's behind the bench. I'm not against him returning IF the situation is right.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
purboo almost scored 30 goals this year, its not like hes a plug. he may not apply himslef as much as youd like but hes going to be a quality oa. id rather keep him instead of assuming that the 1st round pick can play alot of minutes right away. let him come in and get 10 minutes right away and force your hand. im not a playfair guy but hell be a good 3rd line player.

that list is missing one top 6 forward imo, purboo could be that guy.

Or if they get Egor and he can score that would be your top 6 imo.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Or if they get Egor and he can score that would be your top 6 imo.

thats more then fair. even then, if you have a 30 goal scorer on your 3rd line, your probably a pretty good team. now if you want to trade purboo for picks and use the picks to get a better OA d, then i get that, jake paquette or elijah roberts from niagara maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad