Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Jeremy Swayman

Votes: 57 69.5%

• Total voters

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I go Ullmark, not because Sway doesn't deserve the net or played poorly last night, he was easily the team's best player. If you put Sway in tomorrow and TML pushes it to 7, Ullmark will probably get the net with B2B losses. I have a strong preference for Sway in a potential G7 and don't have confidence in Monty ride or dying with Sway for the rest of the series. Ullmark is likely to see the ice again and I'd rather it be tomorrow.

Plus, with the rotation, this is a lot of playing time for Sway and a lot of sitting time for Ullmark.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
This team is exceptional in net no matter who's in the crease, but their terrible at the dot, not nearly good enough to sit a player who's nearly 55 percent there and was player of the game in game one. Beech needs to draw back in !
View attachment 863000
Who is that, I don't know if I remember him.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Who starts Game 6?
This is the issue that Montgomery has put himself into with his "mess with success" strategy.

You have to go with Sway in G6 based on how he's played and the fact that he allowed G5 to not be called off as a mercy killing halfway through second period.

BUT, Monty has also given Toronto life, tightened the pressure on his own team, and allowed Matthews another period of recuperation.

So if we lose G6????? It's Florida 2023 all over again. Exactly same situation including which goalie to go with and risks of same.

So avoidable. And therefore so utterly infuriating.

Reactions: smithformeragent

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
all the "keep Swayman for game 7" ideas need to GTFO.

You play to win game 6, period. The answer is Swayman, the guy who gave up 1 goal in regulation in game 5 and if not for complete ineptitude in front of him should've won the game comfortably.
People aren't saying start Ullmark because they aren't trying to win game 6, but by playing him you greatly simplify the choice in game 7 in case you lose.

If Sway loses game 5 and 6 back to back all of a sudden there's a choice to be made in the biggest game of the season that I'd rather not become a distraction for them. Just my thought on why I'd go Ullmark - he should have won his game too had the team not played like dogshit.

Reactions: Kate08 and RoccoF14

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I can see good arguments for each, not sure there's a truly right or wrong. I'd go Swayman but could see rationale for Ullmark.

Either way, if they win Thursday, he's a genius playing all the right cards, if they lose, he's a moron having a panic meltdown.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I voted Ullmark but if you go Swayman in Game 6, I think you have to give him Game 7 as well.

Assuming both are healthy, I really do not like the concept of switching goalies going into a Game 7. The only exception would be if it was a back-2-back scenario like we've seen between Game 6 and 7 in previous years. But there is a day off in between here.

Reactions: McGarnagle
Feb 25, 2016

You play to win game 6, period. The answer is Swayman, the guy who gave up 1 goal in regulation in game 5 and if not for complete ineptitude in front of him should've won the game comfortably.
Game 5 would have been 6-1 Toronto without Swayman. .939 even in front of players who played like they were from The Island of Misfit Toys.

Misfit toys.jpg

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Does anyone think Monty has played the wrong goalie in any game in this series so far?

Wrong? No. I don’t think there’s a wrong choice between the two, we’re lucky.

That said, I would have gone back to Sway in game 2.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I don’t even want to pretend to know what Monty will be thinking.

This. So much this.

Reactions: TCB

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
I be stunned if it’s not 35

Monty should have stuck to the goalie rotation that he ran all year. The goalies are not used to playing consecutive games. They are used to sharing the net and the rotation. Sway has played great, but he is carrying a heavy load. Ullmark is fresh.

Throw Linus in there for game 6. It's not like he's a backup, he's the defending Vezina Trophy winner. Keep Sway fresh for a possible game 7. Keep the Leafs off balance.
Sway gave up one goal on regulation what else do you want

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad