Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Bowlers sound bite was posted online. The numbers the paper is throwing around we’re a few years old. WR had a much smaller number recently, BB percentage had gone down at the same time. Combined they had 51% until this fiasco. Savage found the buyer, which forced the others to match or have big issues. They couldn’t match the elevated price offered. The GM position is a real handful for in jr hockey. Bowler lacks experience, and I firmly believe he’s running every decision thru the savages. Does that sound like how u want your team ran??
Is that how Bowler ran the Viper's too??? through Cypher???

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Bowlers sound bite was posted online. The numbers the paper is throwing around we’re a few years old. WR had a much smaller number recently, BB percentage had gone down at the same time. Combined they had 51% until this fiasco. Savage found the buyer, which forced the others to match or have big issues. They couldn’t match the elevated price offered. The GM position is a real handful for in jr hockey. Bowler lacks experience, and I firmly believe he’s running every decision thru the savages. Does that sound like how u want your team ran??

No it does not.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Not really but I also didn't want Rychel running things either with having nobody to report to for the most part.

member 71782

We can't have it both ways. While having WR reporting to nobody isn't ideal, neither is having Bowler reporting to the Savages. This feels like a case of "be careful what you wish for."

People thinking it's time for Rychel to move aren't willing to simply settle for anyone.

Is it time for Rychel to move on? Probably but moving on from Rychel reviewing both the good and not so good on his resume doesn't mean someone will be happy with a warm body filling the role. If you move on from a GM the expectation should be to replace them with someone who has similar or higher qualifications, especially after what's gone on the last couple of months.

Windsor needed a GM who was both autonomous and held to account. Rychel was autonomous but not really held to account where I can't think of anyone who believes Bowler will have any autonomy and is not much more than a figurehead there to implement Cypher's expectations.

Like the proposed sale, wrong person at the wrong time under the wrong circumstances.

Replace Rychel with a proven GM? Would be the right way under the circumstances but simply promoting an insider who's main qualifications is loyalty to the controlling interests? Doesn't improve things.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That wasn't really my point. The idea on the board was for WR to be held accountable, having someone to answer to. People were rather enthusiastic about that. Now, Bowler is in charge and he's likely answering to the Savages. Yet, people are still cautious, and perhaps rightfully so. Does this situation hold long-term? That's to be determined. Regardless, though, it's what people wanted - accountability. If it doesn't work, sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

member 71782

That wasn't really my point. The idea on the board was for WR to be held accountable, having someone to answer to. People were rather enthusiastic about that. Now, Bowler is in charge and he's likely answering to the Savages. Yet, people are still cautious, and perhaps rightfully so. Does this situation hold long-term? That's to be determined. Regardless, though, it's what people wanted - accountability. If it doesn't work, sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

People wanted Rychel to be accountable I agree but I don't think people see Bowler as being someone will be accountable, at least not in the way you may be thinking.

People see Bowler as a yes man, someone there to do as he's told. Would he be held accountable in that aspect? Probably.

What people want is a GM who has the autonomy to make decisions to do the job as they see fit and be accountable for the decisions they make, not simply someone doing as they're instructed to.

The only instruction a GM should have from an ownership group is to build a competitive team capable of winning more games then it loses in pursuit of a championship. Failing to consistently do so there needs to be accountability.

I don't think many believe Bowler has the autonomy to do this so the type of accountability is not the same. He will be accountable, if what is believed is actually the case if he fails to follow instructions and not what type of team is built as he will probably input but minimal control over that.

Hopefully this isn't the case but nothing so far gives any indication that it will be anything more then following the wishes of the owner. The same concerns expressed when there was a sale on the table before.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
People thinking it's time for Rychel to move aren't willing to simply settle for anyone.

Is it time for Rychel to move on? Probably but moving on from Rychel reviewing both the good and not so good on his resume doesn't mean someone will be happy with a warm body filling the role. If you move on from a GM the expectation should be to replace them with someone who has similar or higher qualifications, especially after what's gone on the last couple of months.

Windsor needed a GM who was both autonomous and held to account. Rychel was autonomous but not really held to account where I can't think of anyone who believes Bowler will have any autonomy and is not much more than a figurehead there to implement Cypher's expectations.

Like the proposed sale, wrong person at the wrong time under the wrong circumstances.

Replace Rychel with a proven GM? Would be the right way under the circumstances but simply promoting an insider who's main qualifications is loyalty to the controlling interests? Doesn't improve things.

looks like its just a poorly placed bandaid.
A normal fix for Windsor lately.
Wrong thing at wrong time.

Reactions: Sec108 and ohl17

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't think Bowler is going to be a "yes" man, per say. He'll learn, he'll take recommendations, but he'll do stuff on his own and be held accountable. At least for the time being.

member 71782

I don't think Bowler is going to be a "yes" man, per say. He'll learn, he'll take recommendations, but he'll do stuff on his own and be held accountable. At least for the time being.

I think everyone is hoping for that, which would be good but based on all the rumour/speculation still surrounding the team and it's future from an owners perspective if there's any truth to that rumour/speculation it would not be in their interest.

If everything is false the decision to replace Rychel with Bowler at this time with all that's gone on makes no sense unless it was Rychel wanting out.

With all that's happened if this ownership group is in this for the long haul then bringing in an experienced GM to calm the situation down would have been the sensible way to handle it.

Hoping for the best but not expecting it.

Reactions: OHL4Life and Sec108

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Hope u r joking!

member 71782

I figure Bowler will be given a short leash - couple of seaons or so. Assuming the ownership doesn't change before then, that is.

If the owners are here long term then I can see why but with what's gone on the last few months and having a roster with some very good young talent that should be ready to take the next step and contend the following season an experienced GM with no ties to the current group would have been the smart move IMO. If for no other reasons then the optics of this and the need to know just how to finish this rebuild off successfully.

If they were just starting a rebuild then an inexperienced GM getting a chance to get things started from the ground would be fine. New vision for a new direction wouldn't hurt but this is year three, not the time to be learning on the job with a core basically already in place.

Reactions: OHL4Life

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The only issue with bringing in an outside GM is the risk of them wanting to over-haul the roster. They'd want their own pieces and create their own puzzle, kind of like what WR did. If this was the start of the rebuild, where anything was fair game, then, yeah, bring in someone who knows what he's doing.

This is why I say give Bowler a couple of seasons to see this rebuild through, see how he finishes off the roster, etc. If it doesn't work, bring in a new, experienced guy for a total overhaul.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
If the owners are here long term then I can see why but with what's gone on the last few months and having a roster with some very good young talent that should be ready to take the next step and contend the following season an experienced GM with no ties to the current group would have been the smart move IMO. If for no other reasons then the optics of this and the need to know just how to finish this rebuild off successfully.

If they were just starting a rebuild then an inexperienced GM getting a chance to get things started from the ground would be fine. New vision for a new direction wouldn't hurt but this is year three, not the time to be learning on the job with a core basically already in place.

Yes it would have been the smart move. Unfortunately at this point a lot of the decisions are made with a financial conscious in mind. That's perfectly fine and understandable but at some point in order to move forward as a franchise you need to look at this coaching staff with a critical eye. Unfortunately even if Bowler wanted to do something it's too late to fire a coach and his staff at this point.

member 71782

The only issue with bringing in an outside GM is the risk of them wanting to over-haul the roster. They'd want their own pieces and create their own puzzle, kind of like what WR did. If this was the start of the rebuild, where anything was fair game, then, yeah, bring in someone who knows what he's doing.

This is why I say give Bowler a couple of seasons to see this rebuild through, see how he finishes off the roster, etc. If it doesn't work, bring in a new, experienced guy for a total overhaul.

A team poised to make a run in 20/21 but has some work to do to get the final pieces in place, who do you trust that to?

A proven, experienced GM with some sort of track record

Or

An unknown entity who's not proven anything at this level and who's biggest qualification is loyalty to the current owners in past positions

We don't know how Bowler will do and hopefully he does well but at this point in time a proven track record would be best over an unproven one. Adding in everything else that's gone on an outside influence/voice would provide better optics then doing the same types of things that pissed off the fanbase over the now failed sale.

It's nothing against Bowler, it's the thought of seeing another rebuild stretch out to five/six/seven years when their window should be opening now.

An outsider with the autonomy to do his job could put his own mark on things and strip things down but with a roster on the verge of competing the question is why?

A roster with good young talent.

Assets to use but need to be topped off.

What experienced GM wouldn't want to walk into a ready made roster needing to be tweaked?

If there is concern of an outsider stripping things down shouldn't there be the same concern about Bowler? Unless he doesn't have the autonomy to do the job which would bring this back full circle, is he simply a yes man?

It's all speculation and until we start hearing news about signings/trades under Bowler's direction we really won't know how much autonomy he'll have.

Do we see small moves to resolve the numbers? Do we see bold moves that can have a major impact? Do things basically stay the same and things are simply played out until ownership has a major announcement about the future?

Until such time as there is activity to discuss we don't know but we've all seen enough to know there are potential concerns at the moment.

Reactions: aresknights

member 71782

Yes it would have been the smart move. Unfortunately at this point a lot of the decisions are made with a financial conscious in mind. That's perfectly fine and understandable but at some point in order to move forward as a franchise you need to look at this coaching staff with a critical eye. Unfortunately even if Bowler wanted to do something it's too late to fire a coach and his staff at this point.

Until there's a big decision that can be attributed to Bowler I don't think he has the authority to make those changes. If financial concerns supercede product improvement, I believe it does then only ownership will make those/similar calls.

That will affect everything from recruiting to signings to trades.

Reactions: ohl17 and windsor7

member 71782

A change of pace for TG

What are you looking to see once the league reopens in August?

Trades, signings or other announcements.

Any players in particular or roles that can be filled to move this franchise forward that shows real commitment to the on ice product?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
A team poised to make a run in 20/21 but has some work to do to get the final pieces in place, who do you trust that to?

Or

An unknown entity who's not proven anything at this level and who's biggest qualification is loyalty to the current owners in past positions

With the roster in place to grow, Bowler is fine right now. He's been around the team and knows the players more than an outsider would. I'd just be worried if an experienced guy took over instead and overhauled the roster to his liking.

To be fair to Bowler's inexperience, Rychel was similar when he joined on. We trusted him to do the right thing.

It's very early in all of this and, with major signings out of the way, I trust Bowler to take the rest of the summer and approach with baby steps. There's no need for anything rash right now.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

Or

We don't know how Bowler will do and hopefully he does well but at this point in time a proven track record would be best over an unproven one. Adding in everything else that's gone on an outside influence/voice would provide better optics then doing the same types of things that pissed off the fanbase over the now failed sale.

It's nothing against Bowler, it's the thought of seeing another rebuild stretch out to five/six/seven years when their window should be opening now.

An outsider with the autonomy to do his job could put his own mark on things and strip things down but with a roster on the verge of competing the question is why?

A roster with good young talent.

Assets to use but need to be topped off.

What experienced GM wouldn't want to walk into a ready made roster needing to be tweaked?

If there is concern of an outsider stripping things down shouldn't there be the same concern about Bowler? Unless he doesn't have the autonomy to do the job which would bring this back full circle, is he simply a yes man?

It's all speculation and until we start hearing news about signings/trades under Bowler's direction we really won't know how much autonomy he'll have.

Do we see small moves to resolve the numbers? Do we see bold moves that can have a major impact? Do things basically stay the same and things are simply played out until ownership has a major announcement about the future?

Until such time as there is activity to discuss we don't know but we've all seen enough to know there are potential concerns at the moment.
Good post - you touched on some of my thoughts as well - will Bowler make a move quickly to show he is control now? Will he make a big splash or just something to show the fans he is the man now? Will the Euro pick be something he wants to show success with? I just know ( guessing of course) that something will come down the pipe quickly, only 3 weeks until the trade window opens, I think you will see something fairly soon after that.

Big test for Mr Bowler and fans are going to be tough on him if they don't like what they see - not much wiggle room for a rookie GM.

Reactions: ohl17

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Agreed

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
With the roster in place to grow, Bowler is fine right now. He's been around the team and knows the players more than an outsider would. I'd just be worried if an experienced guy took over instead and overhauled the roster to his liking.

To be fair to Bowler's inexperience, Rychel was similar when he joined on. We trusted him to do the right thing.

It's very early in all of this and, with major signings out of the way, I trust Bowler to take the rest of the summer and approach with baby steps. There's no need for anything rash right now.

Everything always fine....

Reactions: OHLTG

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Why would an experienced, proven GM overhaul a young roster with talent any more than Bowler would want to put his mark on the squad?
Bowler didn't build this team.

A good GM would evaluate and make moves accordingly. Not blow it up unneccessarily

Last edited:
Reactions: windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Bowler has been around the club, while outsiders haven't. I don't see him wanting to make as big of a mark on the club just yet.

BTW, on a side-note: LaSalle announced that a handful of players are moving to different clubs next season, including Stefan Dobrich (Trenton).

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Good post - you touched on some of my thoughts as well - will Bowler make a move quickly to show he is control now? Will he make a big splash or just something to show the fans he is the man now? Will the Euro pick be something he wants to show success with? I just know ( guessing of course) that something will come down the pipe quickly, only 3 weeks until the trade window opens, I think you will see something fairly soon after that.

Big test for Mr Bowler and fans are going to be tough on him if they don't like what they see - not much wiggle room for a rookie GM.

If Bowler allows guys like Purboo/Boka be on the roster for an extended period of time it won't lead to much. I doubt there are many fans that trust Letowski to utilize them the right way. I don't believe this team is that talented enough to make up for a lackluster coaching staff. A bad jockey can still lead a great horse to a good finish. A bad jockey can't make an average horse a great one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad