Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
So bowler gets to speak and he says he’s gonna work on the realationshops with coaches players and families??? Was it just me or did it sound like that area was a big problem???

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
So bowler gets to speak and he says he’s gonna work on the realationshops with coaches players and families??? Was it just me or did it sound like that area was a big problem???

Coaching huge problems.
They need to change their thinking

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

Where did he say that? (honestly, I've seen one line from him so far and it wasn't about that)

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Im sure that was the case as even yourself said that the parents/agents/players are worse then they have ever been on certain demands.

I truly dont understand players or business people with money wanting to get into ownership in this league especially here.Were going to under go another big decline in employment soon and theres not the growth coming to the economy that one might think to this area.The opening of an employer hirng 5000 workers is over.Wages and desposable incomes are also in decline from 2006.How money is being made now in 2019 is a mystery to me in jr hockey now after all the expenses.

Reactions: windsor7

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
It seems Bowler isnt much of a publicity hound :).
The U15 HC weekend event in Windsor (WFCU) he had a chance to address a large group of mostly SW Ont players (a few TO kids sprinkled in) and parents after Salintiri(?) spoke n he mailed it in, was brief to almost the point of being bothered to attend. Just seemed odd

To me you use those ops as a way to sell the OHL brand and more specifically yourself as a hockey guy in upper management. It was basically....you got questions come find me....goodbye

Not digging on the man...I dont know him at all. Just seemed like a wasted opportunity when everyone knew he was going to be heavily involved with the squad.

An aside....Spits goalie coach seemed like a great guy. Weber was good with the kids. And a trainer for the team met from a different tourney at WFCU was a great guy ( and helped us out)

Last edited:
Reactions: OHLTG and windsor7

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It seems Bowler isnt much of a publicity hound :).
The U15 HC weekend event in Windsor (WFCU) he had a chance to address a large group of mostly SW Ont players (a few TO kids sprinkled in) and parents after Salintiri(?) spoke n he mailed it in, was brief to almost the point of being bothered to attend. Just seemed odd

To me you use those ops as a way to sell the OHL brand and more specifically yourself as a hockey. It was basically....you got questions come find me....goodbye

Not digging on the man...I dont know him at all. Just seemed like a wasted opportunity when everyone knew he was going to be heavily involved with the squad.

An aside....Spits goalie coach seemed like a great guy. Weber was good with the kids. And a trainer for the team met from a different tourney at WFCU was a great guy ( and helped us out)

I dont know him at all but I’ve heard his got an incredibly dry personality and isnt great with groups. hopefully whoever is around as an assist can bring that

Reactions: aresknights

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I dont know him at all but I’ve heard his got an incredibly dry personality and isnt great with groups. hopefully whoever is around as an assist can bring that

An assistant would help.
Need someone to sell the spitfire brand.
If they dont do much on ice like they have in the past will be hard to convince parents to have their kid join when the gm is quiet.
Hopefully they "actually" do something this year.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm watching the Spits' video now and Bowler sounds like he's not used to speaking in front of people. It's not a bad thing, just not what we're used to. As long as he's good at his job and treats people well, I'm good.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
I'm watching the Spits' video now and Bowler sounds like he's not used to speaking in front of people. It's not a bad thing, just not what we're used to. As long as he's good at his job and treats people well, I'm good.
TG.....I think when it comes to the Spitfires , you would be ok with kermit the frog being the GM as long as he's good at his job and treats people well.

hahhahahahahahahha LMAO !!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
I certainly was a WR supporter so I'm sad to see him go. I've talked to him a few times and he would go out of his way to say hello to me at games in Sarnia after our first meeting about 5 years. So personally I wish him all the best and thank him for what he did with the franchise after taking over from Riolo.

The direction of the franchise does seem be taking a downward trend (hopefully I'm wrong). Uncertain and likely temporary ownership isn't instilling much faith in this fan base.

Reactions: Sec108 and windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Maybe you want a "better" type of public speaker than Bowler. Of course it matters more if Bowler can sell players/parents/agents one on one in an office. I mean we can talk about how Rychel always had a sound byte which is fine or how he can win over the media. Lately he hadn't done a lot to win over a lot of prospects to put together a real good roster.

Even in the paper it mentioned how Rychel seemed like the face of the franchise. I don't want my gm to be the face of the franchise. I want the players to be the face of the franchise, the 20 guys that go out every 68 games making the team a contender.

If Bowler doesn't go out of his way to hype up a prospect to the media etc.. that will be an improvement.

Reactions: Sec108

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Lately he hadn't done a lot to win over a lot of prospects to put together a real good roster.

Cuylle, Foudy, Zito, Johnston, Jodoin, and, to a lesser extent, Afanasyev might argue this one. People can rip WR for a few things, but getting prospects here over the last few seasons (even since, say, 2015) isn't one of them.

Even in the paper it mentioned how Rychel seemed like the face of the franchise. I don't want my gm to be the face of the franchise. I want the players to be the face of the franchise, the 20 guys that go out every 68 games making the team a contender.

The article said "in many ways", which isn't false. He's been a mainstay, one of the most well-known people in the organization, and, when you think of this club long-term, he comes to mind. That's not taking anything away from the bigger names to come through here, nor does it take away from the roster. It's no different than "the Hunters in London", "Stan Bulter in NB", or "Kilrea in Ottawa."

Reactions: scokan

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I certainly was a WR supporter so I'm sad to see him go. I've talked to him a few times and he would go out of his way to say hello to me at games in Sarnia after our first meeting about 5 years. So personally I wish him all the best and thank him for what he did with the franchise after taking over from Riolo.

The direction of the franchise does seem be taking a downward trend (hopefully I'm wrong). Uncertain and likely temporary ownership isn't instilling much faith in this fan base.

The last paragraph is the biggest thing. The "new" ownership group is battling a lot of public perception that isn't working in their favor. Unfortunately at this point it turns to the players to bring the fans back because barring a couple big trades in August the roster is pretty much set. They need to start hot and stay hot for the public to buy in. If they struggle early or mediocre the knives will be out for the coaching staff and things will get uncomfortable for the ownership group. Winning is the greatest elixir around but it will take more than going 5-2 over a 7 game stretch, they need a stretch of winning 13 out of 17. A respectable 85 points would mean 12.5 points out of every 10 games and that would probably get them home ice, dicey to win the division certainly but home ice is certainly attainable.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
Maybe you want a "better" type of public speaker than Bowler. Of course it matters more if Bowler can sell players/parents/agents one on one in an office. I mean we can talk about how Rychel always had a sound byte which is fine or how he can win over the media. Lately he hadn't done a lot to win over a lot of prospects to put together a real good roster.

If Bowler doesn't go out of his way to hype up a prospect to the media etc.. that will be an improvement.

The GM is the most critical cog in the machine. Here is my reasoning. He brings in all the parts. Hires/fires the coaches which is so important at this level. Coaching can make a good team, a great one or a good team, mediocre.
He brings in the blue chip players that win championships. Manages the assets for long term success, provides stability in the organization. Among everything else. And has the connections in the hockey universe to make these moves happen.
The GM's hands are all over a junior franchise (unless the ownership has them handcuffed ~ then you have dysfunction)
If we are referring to the media face or spokes person of a franchise, it can be the mascot for all intents & purposes. But in the rink & the back channels, the GM has to be the franchise's face in order for any success on & off the ice.

member 71782

The GM is the most critical cog in the machine. Here is my reasoning. He brings in all the parts. Hires/fires the coaches which is so important at this level. Coaching can make a good team, a great one or a good team, mediocre.
He brings in the blue chip players that win championships. Manages the assets for long term success, provides stability in the organization. Among everything else. And has the connections in the hockey universe to make these moves happen.
The GM's hands are all over a junior franchise (unless the ownership has them handcuffed ~ then you have dysfunction)
If we are referring to the media face or spokes person of a franchise, it can be the mascot for all intents & purposes. But in the rink & the back channels, the GM has to be the franchise's face in order for any success on & off the ice.

Since the restructuring was announced it's pretty clear who the off ice public face of the franchise is and will likely be going forward. Bowler will have some PR duties, player signings etc but will likely be limited when it comes to other information. That looks like it will all be in the hands of Savage.

As a GM I think Bowler's role will be a bit less traditional then most GMs if as myself and others have speculated a sale in the not too distant future is the real goal. Certainly he will be involved in the traditional duties but I don't think he will have the autonomy people would expect a GM to have to make the decisions normally associated with the role. If a sale is the ultimate goal his main focus will be ensuring the plans of the ownership group are the focus of all involved. It'll be up to him to make sure the players who bring value are kept happy which means keeping the coaches and related staff in line.

The talent is there combined with the natural regression of some teams that this team can improve while basically staying the course. I wouldn't expect any significant moves in, they don't have the assets to make a big push and most of their high end talent are young players. I also wouldn't expect too many moves out. A few players no longer have a role here and will likely be moved but the OAs I can see staying since an upgrade will cost more then the return would be taking away value for a sale. The only potential big moves would be at the deadline if the 03s progress well and they can gain assets that add value without downgrading the on ice product.

This allows them to show improvement, keeping the fans happy while adding financial value keeping the owners happy.

I can see older players dropping down the line up to support the younger kids, 03s while also leaving Letowski options to shorten the bench during games when needed.

Hate to say it but I think Boka, Purboo and Stevenson possibly are here as OAs for the year, they can fill roles and support the new kids on ice and would cost more to upgrade than this team is willing to spend. A couple of players like Playfair and Frasca, possibly others no longer have a role so could see them being moved for mid round picks with Douglas and Corcoran being deadline dealsfor a more significant return if the kids develop and they're not likely to return as OAs.

Bowler will have to ensure Letowski is focused on the kids and sell any moves to ownership before they happen. He'll have to be a yes man who is ownerships enforcer IMO to ensure whatever ownership is planning is followed. He won't be making any moves on his own.

Reactions: windsor7

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
i dont know if it truly matters who the 'face' of the franchise is. if they win, fans are happy whoever is talking, if they lose, they are upset. its basic sports.

my only concern with regards to 'personality' and 'selling' is to the prospects and potential usa players, i dont know bowlers at all but hes not the type to walk into a prospects house and wow him with his sales abilities. hes more awkward then anything. you need someone as an assistant that can do that for him. im not against new blood on the operations side from the scouting and management side, but you do need someone to sell the program to potential kids and bowlers is not that.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
As per Windsor star article today, WR sold his 20% ownership to the Cypher group. Not 1% as rumored on here before. Bougner was the majority owner. Is it safe to assume Boughner/Rychel were pushing a sale and not the Cypher group? The ownership contract probably has a clause stating a current stake holder has the right to match any offer bid within a time limit. Kind of like a NHL player signing an offer sheet and then that current club matches the offer. This may explain why the Smiles first deal fell through even prior to the start of the league meetings. I think public pressure/outcry forced the Cypher group to act. Then the heat was on WR. to move along

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Bowlers sound bite was posted online. The numbers the paper is throwing around we’re a few years old. WR had a much smaller number recently, BB percentage had gone down at the same time. Combined they had 51% until this fiasco. Savage found the buyer, which forced the others to match or have big issues. They couldn’t match the elevated price offered. The GM position is a real handful for in jr hockey. Bowler lacks experience, and I firmly believe he’s running every decision thru the savages. Does that sound like how u want your team ran??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad