Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

So the public drama is over... for now.

I doubt this is a permanent situation if all the previous rumours and speculation have any merit, those being the Cypher group initiating a potential sale.

If there is any weight to the PR comments today there has to be major changes to show a commitment to getting things back on track.

Does Rychel stay or go? That depends has he retained any of the ownership. There was nothing really saying either way outside of speculation and guesses.

Does the coaching staff stay? I don't think so. This is one area where much of the fanbase is in agreement and if there is going to be any outreach to the fans it needs to start with who is directing the on ice product.

Beyond those two questions the rest becomes simple PR. Making the game experience more attractive to new and old fans alike. There has to be a major push to show that while the ownership group remains the change in control will also ensure a change in experience and direction. Time to reach out and reconnect with your core fans while looking to bring the casual fans back.

I think we see a big push for talent this season. I would expect significant changes in the roster through signings and outward moves. I don't think we see an all or nothing type of push with the roster, that just returns to the same old mindset but I do think a significant change in talent from within the organization combined with some stockpiling of draft picks for the future.

As for the future of the ownership group? I would guess within two years we have a full change in owners. It appears that there's not a lot of interest in those in the current group wanting to retain ownership and not knowing if what some have posted has any truth to it or not once you make a move to sell the team and have to back pedal on it then you are in a situation that really doesn't work well as fans have likely lost faith in the current group and they have lost interest in maintaining the investment needed. A change will and needs to come but I would guess the reason for the change in the structural set up of the ownership allows Boughner and potentially Rychel to take most of their payday now with the understanding/agreement that the Cypher group will find a buyer quietly and ensure there is nothing really leaked until a sale is ready to be finalized. They will have their ducks in a row before anyone hears anything in or out of the organization and now having a solid value to the team a good/very good season or two will only up the value enough to cover the added costs of securing control of the final sale.

It should be business as usual for the fans and in the offices but behind the scenes I would guess it will be anything but. Find the right buyer who can keep things close to the vest who has no questions surrounding them. financially or otherwise and two seasons down the road after Windsor's season comes to an end there will be an announcement of a press conference where all will be announced with the league having full knowledge before any announcement is made.

Speculation but would make sense if you've had one sale fall apart and still have a business asset that you want to offload.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That was one thing that happened when these guys all bought the club back in 2005 - very, very little was leaked. Social media wasn't nearly as big as it now but you still didn't hear the rumours. It was just "I refuse to sell" from Riolo, followed by a deal.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
What a weird series of events...........alot of question marks for STH.Im sure some are going to wait out the year and see what really transpires and I dont blame them.

None of this makes sense on to really why those 2 boys were drafted not being of OHL caliber, especially if the league could veto all of this.

Im just waiting to hear that the dentist is now sueing the league over all of this debacle.

Its not over yet folks !!!!!:popcorn:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
What a weird series of events...........alot of question marks for STH.Im sure some are going to wait out the year and see what really transpires and I dont blame them.

None of this makes sense on to really why those 2 boys were drafted not being of OHL caliber, especially if the league could veto all of this.

Im just waiting to hear that the dentist is now sueing the league over all of this debacle.

Its not over yet folks !!!!!:popcorn:

That would be very funny if he sued the league.
However he doesn't have a leg to stand on.
But funny thought.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I tend to agree with you Tribe earlier. I wouldn't mind if Rychel just went. I don't think there's any way this can be reconciled with ownership/Boughner/Rychel for everyone to sing kumbaya and be happy.

Sure they will make an effort to mend fences they have to. They got themselves into this situation and now have to find a way to bring people back.

Maybe they will be creative and get some fans back. The best way long term to get the fans back is to win games and have a good product year after year.

The focus needs to be on the team, how they play, coaching. Rather than the suits up on a suite.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Where was WR yesterday when the announcement was made? The one face we always see is nowhere to be found around. I think he should go. How can the fan base trust his word moving forward. He has had a tarnished rep with over promising of talent, poor draft choices, recruitment violations in the past. Would not surprise me if the Board of governors told Windsor to get a plan B as they were going to squash Smiles first bid to buy. Everyone keeps stating it was Cypher who wanted out. It was stated by many posters that why doesn't BB just buy them out. While a 360 turn it's Cypher taking majority from BB.
As far as the coaching staff. We have yet another player requesting a trade. All those players the last 2 season's that left/ requested trade. Staggering. That has nothing to do with ownership.The facilities are top notch. Leaves one common denominator. TL. Look at the Blues. Last place to cup finals in less than 6 months with strictly a coaching change. Is our talent really that poor or is the coach incapable of harnessing it?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I agree with others here - the team is probably still for sale but we will never hear a peep until the sale is complete and approved by all. Lesson learned for all involved I'm sure. Being for sale does not mean it will be sold anytime soon, I would guess the soonest would be next year at this time if not farther out.
Warren not there yesterday just proves he is no longer a large share holder with the Spits. He may or may not still have financial interest in the Spits but either way it is not a controlling interest so it would be the owners of the team that would/will be the spoke person/s on all of these types of announcements. Warren is still the GM and would announce signings/trades etc as would any GM.
What Warren is now is an employee of the Spits and will be very much accountable for his actions. The ownership group has indicated they will be more hands on and this will put moves by Warren and the coaching staff under the microscope - this is the part that will bring the most drama over the winter. Bowler and Warren have had there differences and Bowler is Cypher's key man in place so this will be interesting to watch.
Opinion only but I don't think Bowler would be the right guy to replace Warren.

Glad to see this phase is over and we can now look forward to some signings/trades and whatever comes our way that is about hockey and not sales related ( for now).

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I agree with others here - the team is probably still for sale but we will never hear a peep until the sale is complete and approved by all. Lesson learned for all involved I'm sure. Being for sale does not mean it will be sold anytime soon, I would guess the soonest would be next year at this time if not farther out.
Warren not there yesterday just proves he is no longer a large share holder with the Spits. He may or may not still have financial interest in the Spits but either way it is not a controlling interest so it would be the owners of the team that would/will be the spoke person/s on all of these types of announcements. Warren is still the GM and would announce signings/trades etc as would any GM.
What Warren is now is an employee of the Spits and will be very much accountable for his actions. The ownership group has indicated they will be more hands on and this will put moves by Warren and the coaching staff under the microscope - this is the part that will bring the most drama over the winter. Bowler and Warren have had there differences and Bowler is Cypher's key man in place so this will be interesting to watch.
Opinion only but I don't think Bowler would be the right guy to replace Warren.

Glad to see this phase is over and we can now look forward to some signings/trades and whatever comes our way that is about hockey and not sales related ( for now).

Lets hope for some trades etc.
As the product n coaching staff is still bad on ice.
That hasnt changed.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
WR hasn’t ever had a majority stake. Hell he hasn’t had much in the last few years. He’s made some errors no question. He’s also been handcuffed by savage for some time. All that said. We haven’t to date lost an impact player. yes TL must go! Not sure why everyone thinks Bowler is a genius. He’s never done much at the A level, certainly not GM level stuff. He could work but are u ready for an experiment right now?? My season tics are staying on hold for now. IMHO this is still a mess. TL is not the guy, the team is still for sale and the current owners don’t get along. Get it resolved guys, Spits fans are not dummies we know what’s going on!! There’s far to many hockey people in the area to try and hide anything. It’s been tolerated cause you were winners, your not winning and people aren’t so tolerant anymore!!!

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
im thoroughly convinced that both rychel and bougner where driving the sale of the team, boughner is the one that had all the control in the process. in retrospect, the sale and rychel leaving should have come when he called out the fans in february, i think that the deal was agreed to then. it was one of a few things (ie signing younger players to fill the lineup) that when added together seem to paint that picture. i wont go into it because its silly to debate and if rychel is back or not will play itself out in the next month or so.

that said with the savages now in control there is a pathway for bowlers to take over, and count me as scared. i had issues with rychel but he is way more accomplished then bowler, who really doesnt have much experience and is getting the job due to his relationship, not because he's truly the best candidate. im open to someone new, but let it be the best candidate, not the best candidate who played in windsor and has the ear of the new owner. funny enough, i think harkie singh would be a better candidate then bowler to be honest.

go find a younger gm with scouting and management experience from a successful team, or if you want to go more experienced jeff twohey isnt working right now and his last work in the ohl saw him build an ohl championship and memorial cup winner in oshawa. there are so many better candidates imo. well see, but its worrying.

Reactions: TheGremlin

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
WR hasn’t ever had a majority stake. Hell he hasn’t had much in the last few years. He’s made some errors no question. He’s also been handcuffed by savage for some time. All that said. We haven’t to date lost an impact player. yes TL must go! Not sure why everyone thinks Bowler is a genius. He’s never done much at the A level, certainly not GM level stuff. He could work but are u ready for an experiment right now?? My season tics are staying on hold for now. IMHO this is still a mess. TL is not the guy, the team is still for sale and the current owners don’t get along. Get it resolved guys, Spits fans are not dummies we know what’s going on!! There’s far to many hockey people in the area to try and hide anything. It’s been tolerated cause you were winners, your not winning and people aren’t so tolerant anymore!!!
WR did not have a majority stake but he had BB and between the 2 of them they were in control, that has changed now so WR has a new set of rules to play by.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
In the short-term, the team needed stability, whether we like it or not. There was too much outside pressure going "really??" towards all of this.

In the long-term (over the next year or two), I have no doubt that this is over with and we'll see change. It might even wait a few seasons for this group to graduate. However, this isn't permanent and it'll be to hockey guys, ideally local.

Reactions: punch1943

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
A quick question if I may.... Now that the Savage group has controlling interest in the Spitfires and The Viper/Canadiens will the Spits be able to place more players on these teams
who can be recalled in emergency situations. We suffered horribly last year because we had few players to recall.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
A quick question if I may.... Now that the Savage group has controlling interest in the Spitfires and The Viper/Canadiens will the Spits be able to place more players on these teams
who can be recalled in emergency situations. We suffered horribly last year because we had few players to recall.

you have have as many b card players as you want, but most of the time that means paying education costs for those players. that said, there is a way to get kids to decline them. id bet you can probably get most 18/19 year olds to play, but why bother, most are not good enough

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Boughner has wanted to sell for a bit, that wasn’t a secret and I mentioned it during the season but from what I heard again was that Savages we’re pushing someone (dentist) to get a deal done.

Owners all don’t see eye to eye and the team will still be sold at some point. BB has no interest in coming back to the Spits and wants his $$$$.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Windsor-related - Anthony Salinitri has signed on with the UWindsor Lancers.
They should use Salinitri as the poster child for all the cry babies and their agents and parents of defective players who are holding out bc they didnt get to go where they wanted to in the best junior league in the world the CHL.Anthony was also a promising player who was tough and talented and could play in this league and now is playing at the univ. level.This is not a slight to Anthony there is alot of players like him, just using him as an example for certain players that think they are above the league.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
im thoroughly convinced that both rychel and bougner where driving the sale of the team, boughner is the one that had all the control in the process. in retrospect, the sale and rychel leaving should have come when he called out the fans in february, i think that the deal was agreed to then. it was one of a few things (ie signing younger players to fill the lineup) that when added together seem to paint that picture. i wont go into it because its silly to debate and if rychel is back or not will play itself out in the next month or so.

that said with the savages now in control there is a pathway for bowlers to take over, and count me as scared. i had issues with rychel but he is way more accomplished then bowler, who really doesnt have much experience and is getting the job due to his relationship, not because he's truly the best candidate. im open to someone new, but let it be the best candidate, not the best candidate who played in windsor and has the ear of the new owner. funny enough, i think harkie singh would be a better candidate then bowler to be honest.

go find a younger gm with scouting and management experience from a successful team, or if you want to go more experienced jeff twohey isnt working right now and his last work in the ohl saw him build an ohl championship and memorial cup winner in oshawa. there are so many better candidates imo. well see, but its worrying.

Agreed on Rychel. Ambivalent in regards to Bowler. I guess the upside would be is that he's been in this area for a last time so it's doubtful he would ever entertain outside opportunities if they arose from his success. I don't mind Twohey but he has been out of the league for a bit and at the first bit of success I could see him moving on quite quickly. I agree I would probably prefer Singh over Bowler but that bridge is probably burned.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Article in the Windsor Star talks about how WR is now going to talk to Afanasyev, hopefully next week, and show him what Windsor is about. They also talked to Johnston's family and the ownership/coaching confusion was a concern. With stability there, minds should be a little more at ease.

One thing I noticed was the wording on some stuff - "Rychel has been given the task" of talking to prospects. Plus, the Savages are talking more now, which is neat.

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Things r not even close to being done.
Some things r just a front right now.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Affy was coming unless his draft team says no way. I believe you’ll also see Johnston as well. I’m still more concerned about the coaching staff!!! I’m not letting them off.

Reactions: OHLTG

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Affy was coming unless his draft team says no way. I believe you’ll also see Johnston as well. I’m still more concerned about the coaching staff!!! I’m not letting them off.

Nobody should give a pass to this coaching staff .
Should all be fired.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad