Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
If Boka steps out and plays on the 1st line PP then we all know it is steady as it goes and NOTHING has changed. No slight on Boka just not where his skill falls.

Seen Bowler at almost every game so needing time is hogwash.

This team is going to be good this year if coached properly. Up to Mr Bowler to see that happens.

The West is wide open this year - why sit back and not try to win it all? Most fans left last year with a bitter taste in their mouths, better be serving up cake this year or fans will turn away in droves.

member 71782

Rayzor, you did a much better job at laying out my concerns than I did, thanks.

There's a couple of good points, some typical canned responses and some real cause for concern in the interview.

In the end from a fans viewpoint I don't see Bowler as someone who was the right choice at this time.

From ownership's perspective he's the person best suited to get them where the owners want to be if what many of us speculate about is the plan.

What he said basically reaffirms where I think this is headed, build a team that is competitive enough to increase financial without adding extra costs to the equation.

Stay the course, hope for the best and don't screw anything up. Play it safe until they can get a buyer that won't bring a negative response.

This doesn't provide any real hope going forward, what it does is base a plan on the hope that fans will ignore the recent past long enough to return.

There's not a lot of expectations out there and this allows them to sell any improvement as exceeding expectations.

We'll see where things stand come the start of the season but I would imagine it's simply going to be inserting the new they've already signed and traded for into the line up, including the new import to replace those that have graduated, those they have to move/demanding trades while the coaching staff rides out their contracts.

I doubt we see much investment in recruiting, even the kids that won't report from within the current prospect pool. If they show up for camp great if not then that's likely the end of it barring any chance meetings they may have while performing their normal duties.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
If Boka steps out and plays on the 1st line PP then we all know it is steady as it goes and NOTHING has changed. No slight on Boka just not where his skill falls.

This team is going to be good this year if coached properly. Up to Mr Bowler to see that happens.

The West is wide open this year - why sit back and not try to win it all? Most fans left last year with a bitter taste in their mouths, better be serving up cake this year or fans will turn away in droves.

I understand what you're saying in regards to the west being wide open. I don't think it's sitting back it's more about Bowler needing/wanting to establish a culture. The Spits are very low on picks right now. Likely that will provide a roadblock in making big moves because in order to make deals happen if you're low on picks you will need to move out young players. For example London has a lot of players returning and fully stocked with picks. That most likely puts them in a better position. I would also say Saginaw is in a better position right now as well. I think the ability to acquire more draft picks in the present as well as the future but still being able to be middle of the pack in the west would be the better idea for the long term growth of the organization.

member 71782

Familiarity with the organization doesn't necessarily mean the personal relationships with players.

I get the idea with the Blues (whether it's agreed with or not). You can have the most talented team in the league but if they don't play like a team, what's the point? Having 20+ individuals, or even multiple groups within the team, doesn't help anyone. Have 20+ talented guys, on the same page, playing for the crest within systems they're all comfortable with, and playing for each other. That's not a bad thing.

A new guy not having that personal relationship would allow an unbiased approach. Bowler seemed to try to present himself as an outsider but his familiarity with everything that's gone on the last few years is why he gets the job.

Ask yourself the following

With the lack of experience Bowler has combined with where this team is presently at in a rebuild beyond his familiarity with the organization/players/prospects what makes Bowler more qualified then someone who has the experience for the job?

Either he is familiar with what they have or he's not. Personal relationships with the players mean very little with the job when you need to make decisions based on talent to build a team. His only qualifications for the job over an outsider is his familiarity with the team and the expectations.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Rayzor, you did a much better job at laying out my concerns than I did, thanks.

There's a couple of good points, some typical canned responses and some real cause for concern in the interview.

In the end from a fans viewpoint I don't see Bowler as someone who was the right choice at this time.

From ownership's perspective he's the person best suited to get them where the owners want to be if what many of us speculate about is the plan.

What he said basically reaffirms where I think this is headed, build a team that is competitive enough to increase financial without adding extra costs to the equation.

Stay the course, hope for the best and don't screw anything up. Play it safe until they can get a buyer that won't bring a negative response.

This doesn't provide any real hope going forward, what it does is base a plan on the hope that fans will ignore the recent past long enough to return.

There's not a lot of expectations out there and this allows them to sell any improvement as exceeding expectations.

We'll see where things stand come the start of the season but I would imagine it's simply going to be inserting the new they've already signed and traded for into the line up, including the new import to replace those that have graduated, those they have to move/demanding trades while the coaching staff rides out their contracts.

I doubt we see much investment in recruiting, even the kids that won't report from within the current prospect pool. If they show up for camp great if not then that's likely the end of it barring any chance meetings they may have while performing their normal duties.

Agreed with everything here. Obviously if the team starts out well that would be great for everyone involved. What happens if the team struggles out of the gate? Bowler brings up the St Louis Blues. He failed to mention them firing their coach and Binnington coming in to help save the season. Saginaw last season was turned around after they fired Smith. If the team struggles what's Bowler going to do? Shake up the group he said so many good things about a few months ago? Go to Cypher and ask if he can fire Letowski?? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Nobody knows the type of GM Bowler will be. Looking at all the statements though I think we can guess Bowler will be dealing with some constraints that might inhibit his ability to follow through on his plan.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The Spits are very low on picks right now. Likely that will provide a roadblock in making big moves because in order to make deals happen if you're low on picks you will need to move out young players. For example London has a lot of players returning and fully stocked with picks. That most likely puts them in a better position. I would also say Saginaw is in a better position right now as well.
Huh?

From where I sit, Windsor is in the top 4 of the league for draft equity (London, Flint, Kitchener, Windsor). +4 2nds, +1 3rd, +1 4th. Granted some of those are conditionals, and I don't know what the conditions are, so that might be subject to change. But to say that Saginaw has more draft equity? They are +1 2nd, -3 3rds, -1 4th. That seems absurd to claim.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Sounds about right.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The Spits lacked leadership last season! It became worse as the season progressed. Keeping things the same is a statement that frugal is the way this team will operate. Hopefully in the future, this will not impact players wanting to play for the organization.

Agreed

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Sure you can believe they improved during the off-season but until games are played none of us have any idea what the team will do.

Even you can't deny that if you take away Garagan, Campbell, and an empty hole in the lineup, and insert Johnston, Afanasyev, and Zito... you're automatically better. I realize the approach has always been "they're good on paper, but.....", however those three moves alone make this club better and there's no reason that won't translate onto the ice. Heck, Afanasyev alone will dominate more than Garagan/Campbell/empty hole did.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Lol he’s telling you what you want to hear and what’s safe to keep u interested. This gives them the time to get a sale in place and keep the fans interested!! Imho it’s smoke and mirrors. Hope I’m wrong but I’m hearing otherwise!!

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Even you can't deny that if you take away Garagan, Campbell, and an empty hole in the lineup, and insert Johnston, Afanasyev, and Zito... you're automatically better. I realize the approach has always been "they're good on paper, but.....", however those three moves alone make this club better and there's no reason that won't translate onto the ice. Heck, Afanasyev alone will dominate more than Garagan/Campbell/empty hole did.

What do you expect from Johnston and Zito being 16 year old rookies? This team is going to be carried by how well....

Foudy
Cuylle
Boka
Purboo
Angle
Douglas
Playfair
D'Amico
Afanasyev

they do. Throw in/McDonald/Zito/Johnston but we should probably temper the expectations on guys that most likely slot into the 4th line. Their ice time is going to have to be absolutely earned and most likely those 3 aren't going to see an PP time. I could see them getting 4-5 shifts a game very difficult to make an impact under those circumstances. Letowski isn't going to put Boka/Purboo on the 4th line those guys will be getting top 6 ice.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Huh?

From where I sit, Windsor is in the top 4 of the league for draft equity (London, Flint, Kitchener, Windsor). +4 2nds, +1 3rd, +1 4th. Granted some of those are conditionals, and I don't know what the conditions are, so that might be subject to change. But to say that Saginaw has more draft equity? They are +1 2nd, -3 3rds, -1 4th. That seems absurd to claim.

I don't think that's been updated since the Maggio trade for 2 2nd rounders. Windsor is currently low on 2nd's and as you pointed out in the 3rd and 4th.

Reactions: HockeyPops

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Windsor fans wont be happy until this team is gone, the have won 3 Memorial cups in the recent past . A lot of clubs haven't won in 20+ years but their fans stick by them for the most part. Windsor will be like Belleville , when the team leaves the whole damn town will say WHY !!! Wake up and support your team or go to Jr.C
belleville got AHL.
apparently tickets are cheaper

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
What do you expect from Johnston and Zito being 16 year old rookies? This team is going to be carried by how well....

Foudy
Cuylle
Boka
Purboo
Angle
Douglas
Playfair
D'Amico
Afanasyev

they do. Throw in/McDonald/Zito/Johnston but we should probably temper the expectations on guys that most likely slot into the 4th line. Their ice time is going to have to be absolutely earned and most likely those 3 aren't going to see an PP time. I could see them getting 4-5 shifts a game very difficult to make an impact under those circumstances. Letowski isn't going to put Boka/Purboo on the 4th line those guys will be getting top 6 ice.

Let's look at this player by player...

Zito is likely to have more points than an empty space, right?

Johnston is likely to have more than two points, which is what Garagan got.

Afanasyev needs to have seven points to beat Campbell.

As long as those three scenarios happen, we're automatically better. I don't think there's a person who can deny that even Johnston/Afanasyev alone improve our club from the second half. I'm not even taking into consideration the idea that D'Amico isn't likely to have a serious cold streak again (second half). This isn't even me being optimistic - just looking at the facts.

Heck, Zito could wind up in LaSalle (small chance) and you'd STILL have someone in that spot with some points, which is better than an empty roster spot.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

As long as those three scenarios happen, we're automatically better. I don't think there's a person who can deny that even Johnston/Afanasyev alone improve our club from the second half. I'm not even taking into consideration the idea that D'Amico isn't likely to have a serious cold streak again (second half). This isn't even me being optimistic - just looking at the facts.

Heck, Zito could wind up in LaSalle (small chance) and you'd STILL have someone in that spot with some points, which is better than an empty roster spot.

Id agree it is a talent improvement and no doubt the club needed that. And I've said they have added much needed talent but individual points isn't the whole picture here. 2 are true rookies. And they cost you on the other side of the puck more times than not if put in roles advanced of their experience.
Coaches at this level and lower need players to buy into systems and limit mistakes. (be it positioning/systems/roles ect...for better or worse)
I do think the bodies in vs out you have referenced are good in the long run for the club but how much it improves the team next year remains to be seen.
Foudy n Cuylle added more raw talent last year and.........results were what they were.

Temper the 16 yr old rookie influence on team results. Esp with these 2 true rookies who aren't McDavid type kids, let alone a Cuylle and Foudy addition.....with a staff (like many others across the O including LK) that limit kids PT.
The kid from Ottawa trade will also need to adjust but it should be smoother. But still an adjustment.
Same coaching staff as well that used better rookie talents than Zito and Johnston in a way that left fans frustrated. It wont be any different this year with lesser talent additions.

Good in the long run thou. No doubt.

Last edited:
Reactions: OHLTG

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Id agree it is a talent improvement and no doubt the club needed that. And I've said they have added much needed talent but points isn't the whole picture here. 2 are true rookies.
Coaches at this level and lower need players to buy into systems and limit mistakes. (be it positioning/systems/roles ect...)
I do think the bodies in vs out you have referenced are good in the long run for the club but how much it improves the team next year remains to be seen.
Foudy n Cuylle added more raw talent last year and.........results didnt spike vs previous year.
Temper the 16 yr old rookie influence on team results. Esp with a staff (like many others across the O including LK) that limit kids PT

That was my point. I am not doubting the talent aspect. More to do with age and likely lack of ice time. Of course the same person debating this also applauded the moves of Campbell and Garagan but now they're expendable and the roster is upgraded. We didn't hear that at the time when the prior 2 were acquired at the deadline. Also this idea that forwards won't go on droughts or skids is foolish.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Of course the same person debating this also applauded the moves of Campbell and Garagan but now they're expendable and the roster is upgraded.

I liked the Campbell move; he was what we needed at the time. Garagan I'm neutral on; he was a body. Neither of those opinions negates the fact that we're bringing in better talents which, at least on paper, makes us a better club in 2019-20.

I also didn't say that forwards won't go on droughts. I said that D'Amico's major cold streak isn't likely to happen again, which is true. How often do players go from that hot to that cold in a season? Rarely.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I liked the Campbell move; he was what we needed at the time. Garagan I'm neutral on; he was a body. Neither of those opinions negates the fact that we're bringing in better talents which, at least on paper, makes us a better club in 2019-20.

I also didn't say that forwards won't go on droughts. I said that D'Amico's major cold streak isn't likely to happen again, which is true. How often do players go from that hot to that cold in a season? Rarely.

Boka
Douglas
D'Amico

Not often but 3 forwards last year for sure. So I would say in fact it's quite common. Throw in Playfair if you wish as well. This isn't uncommon especially for forwards that lack the high upside of pro type guys.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The longest Douglas went without a point in a game was three games (2-3 times). Playfair didn't have the hot streak before hand, either. That's what I'm saying - D'Amico had a streak of going three games in three months without a point, to three points total over two months. That's rare.

This team, on paper, is better than last season. Could it all fall apart? Of course. Could it all actually work out? Yep.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I believe everything hinges on how the coaching staff handles itself. The D have been horrible and the forwards structurally limited. Do they improve??? Does the staff adapt??? Still lots of questions in my mind!!

Reactions: Sec108 and windsor7

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere

But you don’t know if others will match last years point totals. This past year we had guys who did better then year before and we weren’t better then year before. You have no clue if the team will be better or not. Should they be? Yes. But this is hockey and anything can happen.

Reactions: windsor7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->