Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I wasn't a big fan of a few former Spitfires dropping the gloves, mainly because they didn't win and the fights were always short wrestling matches. That created almost zero buzz in the stands or bench, which doesn't help.

So because they didn't win n wrestling u weren't a fan. But generally any fight u r good with?

Reactions: TheGremlin

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
So because they didn't win n wrestling u weren't a fan. But generally any fight u r good with?

If it does nothing for momentum and it's a short, boring fight where they don't come out on top, yes, I roll my eyes a bit. You can debate this all you want. Having been around the culture for over a decade, fighting for me isn't just two guys randomly going. There's almost always a reason, which is why I respect it and appreciate what they do. If you don't like that, it's on you. I'm not about to change.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Any Windsor fans coming welcome to Niagara hold on to your cap very windy today but mild should be a good one the Dogs are banged up I know Hunter and Roberts are out Castleman did not play last night not sure if he back tonight Tommsio hurt knee in knee tried a couple shifts later but did not play in the third unsure if he in or out Dogs have lost two tough games ina row might be hungry btonight should be a packed house they open standing room tickets and club sears fir tonight game.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
If it does nothing for momentum and it's a short, boring fight where they don't come out on top, yes, I roll my eyes a bit. You can debate this all you want. Having been around the culture for over a decade, fighting for me isn't just two guys randomly going. There's almost always a reason, which is why I respect it and appreciate what they do. If you don't like that, it's on you. I'm not about to change.

So fighting after the game is over is momentum? Game was done. Wasn't going to change the outcome of the game.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Last night was far from a good game by the Spits for the most part. It was the result they needed but certainly not the game they needed.

To say their play was sloppy most of the game would be generous, passing was horrible most of the time, they were out of sync defensively most of the night and in the end were fortunate in the third period.

A number of the youngsters didn't have their best game which is to be expected at times when they are carrying so much of the load but so many in one game? Shows it was an overall poor team performance.

Good to see a couple of vets contribute a bit more than they have been but they were still part of that team performance.

This was the type of game where even though it wasn't a good game they showed they can pull it together enough to get a win.

On to Niagara tonight where they face a team that is expected to be near the top but not showing yet just how good they can be. Any less than stellar efforts could cost this team big tonight.

Agree their defensive zone systems and play needs a lot of work. They are struggling when their opponents are applying pressure and are having trouble maintaining position/control then regrouping if they regain control. Some of it is youth but some of it appears to be the systems itself.

As for the end of game altercation, it wasn't needed last night at the point that it happened. There is a time and place when it makes sense regardless of time on the clock but after Boka had basically skated away from the scrum then turned back to look to partner up with someone was not the way to do it. The scrum was at the crease area, Boka's "fight" was in front of the bench. Sure the players got into it, they always support their team mate in that type of situation but that "fight" was not one that was going to rally the team going forward. It does ensure Morgan draws back in and Boka, who has been a liability most nights gets a seat.
While I agree with your assessment of the Spits play, I would like to add that it was the most entertaining game in the last 2 seasons.

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
Tension built up when Pekar checked Allen on his a$$ in front of DiPietro. He wanted to go then but linesmen separated them. Later on Allen had a few words with Pekar during a face-off but nothing transpired when Barrie got waived and Pekar took the face-off. That was the cause of the raucous at the end of the game. Thought for sure Allen and Pekar were going to dance but once again- the linesman separated them.

As for the game is was a very sloppy one and we were lucky to get the win due to a better 3rd period.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
So fighting after the game is over is momentum? Game was done. Wasn't going to change the outcome of the game.

Still have two games this weekend AND Barrie on the road in the near future, right?

Later on Allen had a few words with Pekar during a face-off but nothing transpired when Barrie got waived and Pekar took the face-off.

That exchanged made me laugh. Allen comes out, taps him on the back of the calf, Pekar looks at him smiling, and Allen shakes the gloves. Too bad nothing materialized; I had a great view of what could have been.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Still have two games this weekend AND Barrie on the road in the near future, right?

Yes barrie next weekend.
Things could of been handled then.
Instead a possible suspension.
Oh well. Let the rookies play more.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You don't have to be a pacifist or labeled a sissy to question that fight especially when it happened after the game was over. If you're talking about momentum going into the next game that's only grasping at straws to justify the fight. Every game takes on it's own personality and it's quite likely that fight last night has zero impact on the game tonight. To say players will play a couple inches taller that was the narrative about Allen being brought on board. If we say this for every emotional outburst by a player Foudy should be 6'7 by now.

As for the game I echo a lot of thoughts by CFaub. The effort defensively by Corcoran on the 2nd and 3rd goal was absolutely awful. People talk about a young D, Corcoran is in his 3rd year now and the excuses don't apply to him, he should be a leader back there. Unfortunately the D seem to be following his lead far too often.

One last thing about Boka fight. Being a leader isn't stepping up and getting into a fight and taking a suspension. That's actually the opposite and putting yourself before the team. Is it acceptable for players now to do similar as Boka? I think the players were pumped up because they actually saw Boka do something because he's done very little to date.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit

Joey Keane is a mouth piece, he talks a lot on the ice, he was right there in the mix of the scrum....after he skated away he was still running his mouth, Boka skated up to him and they exchanged words, Keane then threw a gloved punch at Boka....and the fight was on. Was Boka supposed to take the shot in the mouth and do nothing? Take it dry in front of his teammates? Hell No!! Yes the game was over, but I would have done the same, I would have smashed the guy too! 1 game suspension....well worth it. Put yourself in Boka's shoes...what would you do? Really why do you care? isn't Boka one of the vets that has not been producing? One of the players you said should be benched? ...Well he will probably get a 1 game suspension....your wish is granted.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Here is my interpretation of the Larionov - Lynch story. All, some or none of this may be true, as it is all conjecture on my part. But since this is a fictional account anyway, I don't care.

Lynch and Junior are drinking in a Windsor bar one night prior to training camp. I say Windsor since they are 20 and it would not be legal in Michigan. If it were today, the drinking might be replaced by toking. After the beer kicks in, Lynch starts talking about how he hates Drummondville. HE says I can't even understand what every body is saying. They don't speak my language. Lynch, who speaks English,and ha the same attitude of everyone else that speaks English (including me), everyone else in the world should speak English because I can't be bothered learning another language. Jr. replies why don't you play in Windsor, my Dad can arrange it all to happen. It will be just like the good old days.

Jr. tells the story to Sr., and Sr. calls Rychel. Rychel, of course, goes crazy because he is going to get the best OA available in world. After all, Rychel always get the best player in the entire draft. Even if they are picking 20th, he would say this was the player we would have taken first overall, I can't believe he was available at the 20th pick.

Rychel and Sr. start to plot out this will happen. The look at the OA rule about OAs not playing in their "home" league. They determine that if an OA that fits this category requests to go "home", the team in the other league must waive him and the waiver price is $1,000. At this point, I have one of 2 scenarios.

Scenario 1 - Sr. and Rychel have misinterpreted the rule and Rychel refuses to pay whatever is is to have Lynch released.

Scenario 2 - The have the rule correct, but someone else in the OHL with a higher waiver priority claims Lynch and wants to trade him to Windsor at a price greater than Rychel is willing to pay.

Lynch returns from NHL rookie camp and has nowhere to go (or nowhere that he wants to go). So Sr. talks to Muskegon and Lynch signs with Muskegon. The contract may also have a clause that allows Lynch out if Windsor can obtain his CHL rights.

Jr. goes into a deeply depressed state that negatively affects his hockey performance. This is also due to the fact that he thought he should have a Letter on his Jersey. The Spits have now screwed him twice and we are less than 10 games into the season. Sr. and Rychel are constantly fighting and a divorce is imminent. Sr. wins the custody battle and Jr. gets his release so he can now go play with Lynch.

The ironic thing is that it is being said that Jr. and Lynch want to further their hockey careers, which interrupt as playing in the NHL. However, in the NHL, you can't just decide to play with a friend unless you are a superstar. I can not think of any former Junior OA that has ever been considered a superstar. I highly doubt that Jr. will ever see the NHL. Lynch has a possibility, but as a 3rd or 4th liner and not a superstar.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Today the USHL website indeed shows Larionov Jr signed by Muskegon.

By @MichaelCaples –
On Wednesday, the Windsor Spitfires announced that forward Igor Larionov Jr. would be leaving the team to play juniors in the U.S.
Turns out, he’s going to be playing for the USHL team in his home state.
The Bloomfield Hills native will be joining the Muskegon Lumberjacks for the rest of the 2018-19 season.
In doing so, he will be playing for his former youth hockey coach; Mike Hamilton was the coach of Larionov’s Honeybaked ’98 squad that captured multiple MAHA state titles.
“I felt that in order to continue my development as a hockey player, my best option was to come to Muskegon,” Larionov told MiHockey. “I’ve always had a great relationship with Mike Hamilton and am very excited to work with him again.”
He will not be in the line-up for the Lumberjacks this weekend, but he is in the process of moving to Muskegon.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
You don't have to be a pacifist or labeled a sissy to question that fight especially when it happened after the game was over. If you're talking about momentum going into the next game that's only grasping at straws to justify the fight. Every game takes on it's own personality and it's quite likely that fight last night has zero impact on the game tonight. To say players will play a couple inches taller that was the narrative about Allen being brought on board. If we say this for every emotional outburst by a player Foudy should be 6'7 by now.

As for the game I echo a lot of thoughts by CFaub. The effort defensively by Corcoran on the 2nd and 3rd goal was absolutely awful. People talk about a young D, Corcoran is in his 3rd year now and the excuses don't apply to him, he should be a leader back there. Unfortunately the D seem to be following his lead far too often.

One last thing about Boka fight. Being a leader isn't stepping up and getting into a fight and taking a suspension. That's actually the opposite and putting yourself before the team. Is it acceptable for players now to do similar as Boka? I think the players were pumped up because they actually saw Boka do something because he's done very little to date.

Not sure why you criticize the D in particular Corcoran, team has only allowed 7 goals even strength in past 4 games,yet u say nothing about his offense has scored 2 goals in last 2 games both pp goals,3 points in last 3,to me tying things up in the 3rd by Corcoran was redemption for his and the teams play in the 2nd.
Vegas clearly saw something in him to draft him knowing full well last year was his 1st full year playing D.
Guess I shouldn't be surprised, you rather extoll negatives about the players or team,nice balance,nice to see you are perfect in your job next.

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Not sure why you criticize the D in particular Corcoran, team has only allowed 7 goals even strength in past 4 games,yet u say nothing about his offense has scored 2 goals in last 2 games both pp goals,3 points in last 3,to me tying things up in the 3rd by Corcoran was redemption for his and the teams play in the 2nd.
Vegas clearly saw something in him to draft him knowing full well last year was his 1st full year playing D.
Guess I shouldn't be surprised, you rather extoll negatives about the players or team,nice balance,nice to see you are perfect in your job next.
Legend...I note Starikov is a healthy scratch again. Perhaps I’m missing something here. I realize he hasn’t played well but as a prospect I see him ahead of Stevenson, Henault and Allen.
There must be some reason why a guy goes from being a 1st or 2nd round prospect to sitting in the crowd. If this keeps up and he doesn’t head back home tooty-de-sweety I doubt if he comes back after the Xmas break...

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Is there a Spits D-man with a worse plus/minus than Corcoran's -6?

No,not surprised on a team that has had trouble scoring goals,guy with most ice time, only 18,2nd full year on D,and expected to carry heavy load both ways.
Should be noted he is a 0 in last 2 games both wins,plus he has added to the offense,more upside then down.
Stsrokov is -5 in 3 less games,and has 4 less points,he is a guy I am more concerned about then Corcoran.
Is Corcoran perfect no,just doesn't deserve the bad publicity here.

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Niagara taking advance of hacking and wacking the spits.
Guess will wait till after the game to see if they do anything about it. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad