Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Here are some statistics from Spits exhibition schedule.
Spits go 4-1 playing 4 of those 5 on the road,4-0 on the road,0-1 at home.
Spits score 23 goals and allow 18
PP was 3-19 and the Pk was 16-17.
Of the 23 skaters Spits used including the departed William Sirman, 20 of them had a least a point only Corcoran, Stevenson and Robinson,all dmen btw didn't register a point,though Corcoran and Robinson only played in 2 exhibition games each
Goalie wise, newcomer Kari Pirronen
went 3-1,with a goals against average of 3.50
Scoring wise Luke Kitkevicious led the team in scoring with 8 points in 4 games,1G,7A,,while Will Cuyelle was 2nd with 5 points in 4 games,all goals,plus a shootout winner,Cole Purboo had 5 points in 4 games as well
3G,2A,while it should be noted that Curtis Douglas had 4 points in 2 games played3G,1A.
From the D side 4 players had 2 points to lead the D in scoring, Starikov had 2 goals,and the other 2 point guys from the D,were Henault, Gates and Staios.
Best plus minus were Kitkevicious +5
and Cuylle +4
The worst were dman Nathan Staios-6
and forward Cody Morgan-6,while Tyler Angle was a -5.
All in all a pretty good camp and exhibition season, work to be done,looking forward to the regular season.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
Here are some statistics from Spits exhibition schedule.
Spits go 4-1 playing 4 of those 5 on the road,4-0 on the road,0-1 at home.
Spits score 23 goals and allow 18
PP was 3-19 and the Pk was 16-17.
Of the 23 skaters Spits used including the departed William Sirman, 20 of them had a least a point only Corcoran, Stevenson and Robinson,all dmen btw didn't register a point,though Corcoran and Robinson only played in 2 exhibition games each
Goalie wise, newcomer Kari Pirronen
went 3-1,with a goals against average of 3.50
Scoring wise Luke Kitkevicious led the team in scoring with 8 points in 4 games,1G,7A,,while Will Cuyelle was 2nd with 5 points in 4 games,all goals,plus a shootout winner,Cole Purboo had 5 points in 4 games as well
3G,2A,while it should be noted that Curtis Douglas had 4 points in 2 games played3G,1A.
From the D side 4 players had 2 points to lead the D in scoring, Starikov had 2 goals,and the other 2 point guys from the D,were Henault, Gates and Staios.
Best plus minus were Kitkevicious +5
and Cuylle +4
The worst were dman Nathan Staios-6
and forward Cody Morgan-6,while Tyler Angle was a -5.
All in all a pretty good camp and exhibition season, work to be done,looking forward to the regular season.

Thanks for the stats Legend!! Looking forward to opening night and seeing what this week brings in terms of line pairings, possible FA signing. This years training camp & preseason have been very entertaining to follow I have been very impressed!!. Opening night against the Storm is gonna be a good one!!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Not to create more drama, but this is the first chance I've had to comment all day. The difference btwn Windsor/Baier and Drummondville/Lynch is that Windsor gave Baier a chance to play in Kitchener. Baier didn't make the cut but that chance was still there. If Drummondville says "Lynch, go make Windsor. If not, then we'll see", then they're the same.

Legend - what happened with the Cuylle fight?

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
No they allowed him to go to Kitchener so that they could arrange a trade if Kitchener wanted . So you can't be sure Kichener wouldn't have taken him if he was a free agent. Why is he not in the CHL? Windsor wouldn't release him. Can't complain that Drummondville won't let a player go without fighting for them when your team does the exact same thing

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The one difference is that Drummondville is attempting to contravene the rule, in other other words keeping the player hostage till they get what they want,something that they are not entitled to.
Spits are not breaking any rule regarding Baier.
Kitchener was given the opportunity to tryout Baier,and in the end chose not to despite by all accounts Baier was their best tender prior to exhibition season.
Had the Spits put him on waivers and he was claimed Spits are responsible for his entire education package, so teams not only get a free player but said team would not have any education monies to worry about.
This a strictly business situation, Windsor couldn't find a team to share for lack of better word,so to my knowledge he was not waived but sold.
Basically what it means they are still on the hook for his education package despite any deal made with an outside the league team,however monies derived from the sale,will soften what they may have to spend possibly down the road.
For Brock Baier's sake ,I hope his hockey dreams come true rendering his education package unnecessary.
Big difference to what Drummondville is doing with Lynch.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Ohltg

Cuyille ran over a player near the Windsor bench with less then 5 minutes to play,and Kammerer
who is a year older jumped in to fight Cuylle,punches thrown by both players and while Cuylle didn't win the fight,he did well.
I was concerned because of the fight rule regarding less then 5 minutes to play suspensions would be handed out however because he was instigated on,Cuylle got 2 for interference, 5 for fighting, while Kammerer got 2 for instigating, 5 for fighting, a 10 and a game,he gets a 2 game suspension for his troubles.
This Cuylle is a beauty,big,hits,scores and fights.A power forward in the making.

member 71782

So if a team picks up a player that's been waived, signs him that team bears no cost of the education package from the time they sign them and whatever time he remains with his new team? His old team covers the cost no matter how long he plays or which of the 3 leagues he plays in?

So Windsor was looking to move Baier, through trade only thus having his new team take on the education package and when that didn't happen moved his rights out of the league so they don't incur any more costs in relation to education package. Within the rules.

If what I first asked is understanding what you said to be correct then if Lynch ends up in Windsor then Drummondville is on the hook for the past obligations to his education package as well as any costs incurred if he plays in the CHL, Windsor or otherwise this year. Refusing to release his rights are not within the rules due to the returning to home league as an OA rule.

Can Drummondville not do the same with Lynch that Windsor just did with Baier, sell his rights to a team in another league or does the OA rule not allow for that?

Also, come the deadline, if Drummondville decides to try to wait this out will they not be forced to release him at that time anyways if they plan on carrying 3 OAs to finish off the season? Does Windsor still have the opportunity to add him then?

I thought part of the issue with Drummondville releasing him was they wanted more than the waiver claim fees, can't say I blame them if they would still be paying for his education package this year and Windsor sold Baier's rights to a team in another league so they wouldn't have to pay education fees this year and next if he played anywhere else in the OHL/CHL this year and next.

Certainly the rules as you explained them allow for what's going/gone on but if both teams, Windsor and Drummondville are taking the actions they have/are for the same reasons, costs of the education packages they are both ensuring neither kid plays in the CHL again for the same reasons.

Is my understanding correct or have I misunderstood what you were saying?

I can agree with the idea of not wanting to pay the education package of a kid you waived/released while another team gains the benefit but it appears Windsor's actions aren't much different then Drummondville's but the rules governing OAs versus non OAs is the only real difference.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
What aren't you understanding?? They HAVE to release him per the rules. There is no hardball or hold on to him. There's a time frame involved that's it. As for Baier, how about you wait to understand what exactly happened before you cry foul? Spits have always taken care of their people this will be no exception. I'm greatly concerned by what is happening with the D and frankly Morgan. Not progressing as I would have expected. This area needs some attention and fast!

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I believe OA's sign new contracts/educational packages. It's why the could go play pro hockey rather than playing CHL. So Drummondville isn't on the hook for any more of his educational package. If Spits signed him, they'd give him the standard OA deal/education package for one service year.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Cfaub

Teflon is exactly correct as it relates to Lynch they can't do what Windsor did.
In the Lynch case situation I don't know the contract as it relates to education though in this case not relevant, they,Drummondville are on the hook for the last 2 years,dont know moving forward like I said not relevant. He must be released.
Baier's case he will be taken care of education wise by Windsor unless he signs a pro contract in the future, bottom line Windsor was trying to cover costs moving forward ,playing within the rules,unlike what Drummondville is trying to pull.
My guess is that in Kitchener they didn't want to be on the hook for 3 goalies potential cost wise,thus not able to make deal with Windsor.
It was Windsor and Baier who let the thing happened with Kitchener, Drummondville is showing no attempt to follow rules and instead is delaying the inevitable.

Reactions: OHLTG

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Former Spits goalie Lucas Patton named 1st Star of Game as his Kitchener Dutchmen won their season opener 4 to 0 over Elmira.

Reactions: punch1943

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Yes,would be the short answer.
Lynch is in Muskegon temporarily, they dont pay their players,he is NCAA ineligible ,so he is there to get playing time,clearly they a good relationship with his agent,and with USHL allowing 4 imports plus a year younger a good relationship an agent hall of fame player with extensive European connections is a good thing, something Drummondville is clueless in this area.
He could be there for a couple weeks who knows ,time will tell

Last edited:
Reactions: Teflon and OHLTG

member 71782

What aren't you understanding?? They HAVE to release him per the rules. There is no hardball or hold on to him. There's a time frame involved that's it. As for Baier, how about you wait to understand what exactly happened before you cry foul? Spits have always taken care of their people this will be no exception. I'm greatly concerned by what is happening with the D and frankly Morgan. Not progressing as I would have expected. This area needs some attention and fast!

Windsor had the ability to move Baier outside of the league, was that an option for Drummondville with Lynch? I know of the time frame in terms of releasing him, was curious if they had the same ability to move him out of the league as Windsor had with Baier. Honest question and was seeking an honest response.

Wasn't crying foul over what Windsor did in terms of Baier, as I stated I understood what they did in terms of the reasoning for financial reasons and going that route.. What I did say is the result would be Baier wouldn't play in the OHL/CHL again because of those actions, unless there is a way for another OHL/CHL team to acquire his rights from whichever team they were moved to.

As for the D and Morgan, Morgan in particular I agree, kid needs to pick things up quite a bit. It's only his second season but as a first rounder and some projecting him as a fourth line, rotating in and out of the line up that's not a good start to the season or moving forward.

Cfaub

Teflon is exactly correct as it relates to Lynch they can't do what Windsor did.
In the Lynch case situation I don't know the contract as it relates to education though in this case not relevant, they,Drummondville are on the hook for the last 2 years,dont know moving forward like I said not relevant. He must be released.
Baier's case he will be taken care of education wise by Windsor unless he signs a pro contract in the future, bottom line Windsor was trying to cover costs moving forward ,playing within the rules,unlike what Drummondville is trying to pull.
My guess is that in Kitchener they didn't want to be on the hook for 3 goalies potential cost wise,thus not able to make deal with Windsor.
It was Windsor and Baier who let the thing happened with Kitchener, Drummondville is showing no attempt to follow rules and instead is delaying the inevitable.

Thanks for the clarification.

I understand the Kitchener situation, loan him out for a tryout and see if a deal can be made. Didn't happen so no big deal.

Yes Windsor is on the hook for his education package to this point, that's obvious. What didn't make sense and what some of the clarification was about was teams waiving a player or releasing them as FAs but still being on the hook for their entire education package even after they've been moved. That part didn't make sense.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Teflon

While I share some of your concerns regarding Morgan,though I will say I thought last night vs Sarnia was probably his best outing so far even though he went pointless.
Conflicted as to opening night vs Guelph if he stays in the lineup assuming Macdougall and Douglas are back,I am guessing yes,and I could see Macdonald in the lineup.
For now my 2 extra forwards for Thursday would be Frasca even though he played well in Sarnia last
night as well, and McDonald.
Certainly subject to changes
for the next night.
Defense wise not easy to acquire crease mover plus the way the game is played and called not sure what can be done here.
For Thursday and assuming all dmen are on deck,I probably sit Henault dress Johnston, and reverse things at London on Friday depending on Thursday's game.

Reactions: Teflon

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Is a player ineligible for NCAA play if they play in the CHL? Or just ineligible for a scholarship?

(Yes I know the vast majority play with a scholarship)

Next ? I have no idea about. What is this "time frame" thing mentioned for Lynch and this OA rule? How long? Why is it even there to delay things?
If it exists as stated I don't how signing with Spits can be held up.
Team submits paperwork n cheque, player is on board...... Should be no brainer. Quick n easy.
I can only guess there is some type of review process or appeal process before its OK'd?

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Posted my thoughts on Morgan a while back.
Great kid, but suggested you may need to wait til year 3/4 to get the quality play you expect earlier from a top 1/2 1st rd pick.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I believe any player that spends more than 48hrs in a CHL camp losses NCAA eligibility unless he's paying his own way. Scholarships don't matter. There's always wiggle room with a player transferring and his team against it. There's a process if they wanna fight it even without a leg to stand on.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
NCAA eligibility rule against CHL is a joke. It would be in their best interest to change it as well, I mean they'd get a flood of more talented players who play a couple years in the OHL and then realize they're not NHL caliber and look to an education.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->