Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
why does it matter what a player did then.
come on.

Shows he has some offensive ability. I'm not saying he's going to be offensive here. His career has dictated a defensive approach. I just find it interesting that he DID put up good numbers at one point. Something is there. It's funny - people in the pros bring up "he put up the numbers in juniors" on a regular basis. Nobody seems to flinch at that.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Shows he has some offensive ability. I'm not saying he's going to be offensive here. His career has dictated a defensive approach. I just find it interesting that he DID put up good numbers at one point. Something is there. It's funny - people in the pros bring up "he put up the numbers in juniors" on a regular basis. Nobody seems to flinch at that.

doesn't mean much at all.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Tonight:

Pros...

- Much more physical game. Sudbury came to hit so Windsor did the same. Douglas, Allen, etc. were all throwing their weight around.
- Piiroinen looked more comfortable in net, despite four GA. A few of the goals he had no chance on.
- PK was very solid. Late four-min PK was key to this one.
- Cuylle is getting more confident with the puck. The hat-trick, nobody can argue that one. Keep him and Foudy together!

Cons...

- Still not competing for the entire 60-mintues. "It's like watching paint dry."
- Power play is more power outage. At some point, you have to realize this just isn't working.
- I've heard more "is Letowski really the one for us?" I'm not sure I disagree.
- Boka looks great without the puck but I get the feeling he's trying too hard to get the points. You can see the frustration.

The deadline can't come fast enough. Get bodies in. Get body(ies) out.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Tonight:

Pros...

- Much more physical game. Sudbury came to hit so Windsor did the same. Douglas, Allen, etc. were all throwing their weight around.
- Piiroinen looked more comfortable in net, despite four GA. A few of the goals he had no chance on.
- PK was very solid. Late four-min PK was key to this one.
- Cuylle is getting more confident with the puck. The hat-trick, nobody can argue that one. Keep him and Foudy together!

Cons...

- Still not competing for the entire 60-mintues. "It's like watching paint dry."
- Power play is more power outage. At some point, you have to realize this just isn't working.
- I've heard more "is Letowski really the one for us?" I'm not sure I disagree.
- Boka looks great without the puck but I get the feeling he's trying too hard to get the points. You can see the frustration.

The deadline can't come fast enough. Get bodies in. Get body(ies) out.

boka is not noticeable at all on the ice.

Reactions: SpItFiReZ

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
I feel like we say it most years but our PP....sheesh! Fans in my section were yelling at the ref to stop calling PPs

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Nice to get a win
Lots of players contributed offensively in this one,Cuylle what a beauty gets 3,6th straight he has scored at least 1 goal,has scored 7 goals in his last 5 games,12 in his last 19,Tyler Angle with 1G,1A again tonight,now has 8 points in his last 5 games,16 in his last 14,they missed him when he was out for 10 games earlier, Staios with 2 assists,2nd straight with 2 helpers much better night for him a +2 tonight,-5 on Sunday,Spits also got 2 points from the stagnating Curtis Douglas,both assists,now has 7 points in last 5 games,23 points in last 24 games including 14 goals.
Much better game from Piironen, only the 3rd goal that he allowed bothered me,otherwise fine performance.
Overall decent team effort against a 2nd place team in their division ,Sudbury has some nice players.

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I thought Sudbury was an example of a stuggling team, without their goaltender? A team you held up to explain Windsors woes recently.
Interesting 180 on your view of the Sudbury team without their tender..
Now its a good win over a 2nd place team with nice players.
I guess things change ;)

I get you like to frame things a certain way to express the positives you yearn for in your team.

Just seems odd from the outside.

Reactions: windsor7

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Much needed positive thou, for sure.

I said I liked the Spits trade for Cuylle. Good move IMO. Said you got a sniper. It was obvious seeing him last year the kid was a goal scorer, had size ect... He is going to be a handful for teams to deal with next year and the year after.

member 71782

Spits get a much needed win, Cuylle progressing nicely getting the hat trick.

Overall a better team performance. Piiroinen looked more comfortable tonight and I think while the team played much better the first two goals should really highlight the defensive issues with the team. Yes, they've given up a lot of goals and while the goaltenders have given up their fair share of softies even a lot of those can be traced back to defensive breakdowns that never should have happened. Even with the win lots of issues to be addressed.

Good to get the win now it's time to build on it. A couple of games then the deadline and we'll have a better idea of how this team will look for the remainder of the year.

Reactions: OHLTG

member 71782

Agree Boka is noticeable on the PK, one of the best defensive forwards in the league unfortunately when he is playing the PP, is always on when Spits need a goal and seems to be the one getting the extra minutes when they try to get their fourth line/extra forward(s) a shift he doesn't produce enough to justify those added responsibilities at the level he gets them.

This team gets their best from Boka playing him in situations he excels at and where the extra responsibilities hurt this team is when so much of it gets put on Boka. That's a coaching issue not a Boka issue but when he's on the ice for those he, unfortunately becomes the one every will see not producing what's needed in those situations.

As for Campbell, that's great he produced in midget but that's five years ago. There comes a point in time when what you did five years ago is no longer relevant. As an OA that was waived with no takers who has no consistent history of producing at this level the relevance of his midget days is gone. He's not being brought in because he's going to turn around the offence, he's coming in to provide a warm body capable of playing in the league that won't cost any assets. We all know what the team line will be, he provides leadership and stability for the younger players but really? It wasn't enough for Kitchener, just starting to rebuild, going through their own struggles to keep him.

My bet, Kutkevicius was probably the better player but based on comments here had some issues that probably made it a better idea for the team to move on from him.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Haha I hope people didn't think I expected huge offensive numbers from him. He's being brought in for defensive help, leadership, and depth. Any offence is a nice bonus.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Well if that's the case who needs scouts!! Teams should just draw straws for players in the draft every year......DA
A player's stats in minor midget is very important during the draft and in his first year in the league. After that, like in everything else in life, it is what have you done lately.

Reactions: windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Nice to get a win. I still don't get how the D gives opposing forwards so much room or don't know positioning. The 3rd goal by Sudbury the D Candella must have skated 90+ feet within 5 feet of the boards went around Henault and found a goal. That happened a couple times against Mississauga on Mon. It looks like the D are playing on ice 7-10 feet shorter and give guys more room. Cuylle is their most talented player on the roster it isn't even really close at this time. They are probably 4-5 real good forwards away from a contender because there isn't anyone with the skill set that Cuylle has.

As for Boka, yes he blocks shots and can kill penalties really well. His hockey sense 5 on 5, with the puck and skating is quite poor. Going offsides, trying to make too many moves, not making the smart decision with the puck. All those are things you would think a 4th year guy would be better at.

Campbell that's great he scored at a high clip 5 years ago. He has 25 goals in 200+ games in the OHL. As Legend says he brings grit, well how about an infusion of talent beyond this year? If he's Gritty this is all I want to see.....

Gritty_break_internet_3x2.jpg

This is probably how a lot of wins will go the rest of the year. There will be many struggles, doubtful they blow any teams out, the will probably be spanked a few times.

I think it will be interesting what happens with the D compared to January of 2020 because as a unit it looks like a train wreck. Overall hockey smarts on this team isn't on an extremely high level. Hope it gets better but need to get more talent in here. I imagine Campbell will take more time away from a young guy like Frasca which will be great to see.....

Reactions: punch1943
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce