Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
A player's stats in minor midget is very important during the draft and in his first year in the league. After that, like in everything else in life, it is what have you done lately.

Agreed!! But its the nature of the beast!! Also certain posters argue every move Windsor makes, and I was also trying to point that out.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Rayzor

Dont know you why knock every move Windsor makes,Campbell while not a goal scorer,is a serviceable experienced guy,who skates well,penalty kills,5th year player whose experience will help the younger guys on the club both on forward and D.
You need guys who play the right way.
Earlier you said Spits needed a top 5
pick from the draft,and they did via trade with Peterborough, and you still complain.
Now if Spits had 14 forwards and 2 or 3 were or are as old as Campbell I would get it regarding ice time re youngsters, in this case no,nothing wrong with filling roster with capable players.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Haha I hope people didn't think I expected huge offensive numbers from him. He's being brought in for defensive help, leadership, and depth. Any offence is a nice bonus.

But u kept postjng his points and saying he is that type of guy.
These points haven't come.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Spits win in ot. A win. Been a while.
Battle of two teans not playing well right now.
Kids played well.
Great they r scoring goals.
Most vets. Not noticeable.
Defence still bad.
Goaltending approved slightly but still gave up 4 goals. A few goals were pretty weak.
Pp still not great.
Most times it was very quiet in arena.
Opposition loves that. Fans just being there for sake if being there.
Spits dont shoot enough. Geez.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits win in ot. A win. Been a while.
Battle of two teans not playing well right now.
Kids played well.
Great they r scoring goals.
Most vets. Not noticeable.
Defence still bad.
Goaltending approved slightly but still gave up 4 goals. A few goals were pretty weak.
Pp still not great.
Most times it was very quiet in arena.
Opposition loves that. Fans just being there for sake if being there.
Spits dont shoot enough. Geez.

Disagree about a few goals were bad on Piironen, only the 3rd one is the one I want back otherwise no chance on the PP goal to tie game at 4-4,pk unit was out of gas,team only allowed 25 shots on goal,team played better overall then last 3.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
Well, at least we're not writing him off too fast hahaha

5-4 Windsor final OT. Cuylle hat trick. D'Amico OT winner.
Lol not writing him off just setting realistic expectations. It's good as we need another body or 2. Hopefully he holds his own defensively and anything he gets offensively contributes but let's not pretend this somehow makes too much of a difference.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
Haha I hope people didn't think I expected huge offensive numbers from him. He's being brought in for defensive help, leadership, and depth. Any offence is a nice bonus.
Then just say that the first time instead of putting a spin like this moves the needle. It's a kid that's shown he can play at this level that we can ice that hopefully is decent defensively. I will say that if he plays anywhere but the 4th line I'd fire my coaches immediately. Since the start of the year TL couldn't find room for a 17yr kod 1st rounder he better not have room for an OA free player.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Rayzor

Dont know you why knock every move Windsor makes,Campbell while not a goal scorer,is a serviceable experienced guy,who skates well,penalty kills,5th year player whose experience will help the younger guys on the club both on forward and D.
You need guys who play the right way.
Earlier you said Spits needed a top 5
pick from the draft,and they did via trade with Peterborough, and you still complain.
Now if Spits had 14 forwards and 2 or 3 were or are as old as Campbell I would get it regarding ice time re youngsters, in this case no,nothing wrong with filling roster with capable players.
You are 100% right about Chase. Add to that a great guy in the room and plays with energy. He does alot of little things that many don't notice and does them consistant and well. I was actually hoping he could come back to the Attack if we end up with an open O/A spot but glad to see him land somewhere. good addition for you guy's for sure.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So let's take this Chase Campbell thing right down the middle. We got him for free - if you are even a little bit Scottish you will understand how important that is. We had 10 forwards and now we have 11. With only 11 forwards nobody is losing proper ice time because he is coming. Rookies should not be expected to play 30 minutes a game so dropping them back to 20 minutes a game will insure they are not skin and bones by March. He is exactly what they needed, an experienced OHL player. No flash and dash here just somebody to help eat up some minutes and keep others a little more fresh at the end of the game.

Letter to TL - Please do not break up the Foudy, Cuylle, Douglas line - imagine what they will be like next year if they stick together!

Game notes - Did I mention the Foudy, Cullye, Douglas line? You can notice the improvement on D when Corcoran is in the line up, ya the D are struggling but they are learning and I for one will still give them a longer rope this year but it gets shorter every year as they get older. Henault is a good example - lots of what the F moves but you can tell he is learning and with every game he is having less what the F moves and is improving - moving up our depth chart for sure.
The only concern ( rookies) I have from the last few games is McDonald. Seems to be tentative and struggles a bit with positional play - noticed him running into some of the other guys last night, you could tell he was out of position . He is probably better suited on a pure 4th line for this year but lack of bodies has driven him onto lines he is not ready for this year. Overall like what he brings but he needs some seasoning.

On to Guelph - assume Incze starts tonight?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Disagree about a few goals were bad on Piironen, only the 3rd one is the one I want back otherwise no chance on the PP goal to tie game at 4-4,pk unit was out of gas,team only allowed 25 shots on goal,team played better overall then last 3.

They were out of gas as they r not dressing a full team. And that is their own fault.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Campbell is a little work horse. He will put up some numbers with the right players on his line. Fairly fast skater that plays a little chippy for his size. The good thing in all this it cost the Spits nothing to pick him up. As for the minor midget stats a good percentage of players coming into this league had great stats in midget. Once in this league most struggle to find that production. They are use to playing against their piers in midget. Not so in the OHL. Some players step up and others remain as checkers. For the highly skilled OHL players that are lucky enough to be drafted many struggle at the pro level even failing to make the lower ECHL leagues as an example. It's just the way it is when you move to a higher skill level.

Oryx05

Jan 13, 2018
Campbell plays the right way, good pick up, especially when you consider it didn't cost anything.

You can count on him setting the right example for youth, both on and off the ice. Only reason he was let go in Kitchener was to get the youth movement some extra playing time, and we still have Conor Hall on the roster (though it is very unlikely he returns), putting us back down to 4 O/A's in advance of the deadline.

More over, the pick the Rangers sent to OS (10th) turned into a 6th should he be on the roster Jan 1.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
They were out of gas as they r not dressing a full team. And that is their own fault.

That has to be the worst thing I have seen you comment on,if u were there,the PK unit was on for the entire 1.30 of the penalty before Sudbury,couldn't get puck out,and you are going to blame a short bench,they couldn't get to the damn bench,unbelievable!

member 71782

So let's take this Chase Campbell thing right down the middle. We got him for free - if you are even a little bit Scottish you will understand how important that is. We had 10 forwards and now we have 11. With only 11 forwards nobody is losing proper ice time because he is coming. Rookies should not be expected to play 30 minutes a game so dropping them back to 20 minutes a game will insure they are not skin and bones by March. He is exactly what they needed, an experienced OHL player. No flash and dash here just somebody to help eat up some minutes and keep others a little more fresh at the end of the game.

Letter to TL - Please do not break up the Foudy, Cuylle, Douglas line - imagine what they will be like next year if they stick together!

Game notes - Did I mention the Foudy, Cullye, Douglas line? You can notice the improvement on D when Corcoran is in the line up, ya the D are struggling but they are learning and I for one will still give them a longer rope this year but it gets shorter every year as they get older. Henault is a good example - lots of what the F moves but you can tell he is learning and with every game he is having less what the F moves and is improving - moving up our depth chart for sure.
The only concern ( rookies) I have from the last few games is McDonald. Seems to be tentative and struggles a bit with positional play - noticed him running into some of the other guys last night, you could tell he was out of position . He is probably better suited on a pure 4th line for this year but lack of bodies has driven him onto lines he is not ready for this year. Overall like what he brings but he needs some seasoning.

On to Guelph - assume Incze starts tonight?

Re McDonald

What happened?

he came back from the U17s and the three rookies were put on the same line together for a couple of games, they did well with some Dzone struggles and when they were split up McDonald saw his ice time immediately drop and is/was lucky to get 4th line minutes. Once Playfair went down and Boka started double shifting a bit he has been playing mainly with Boka and whoever else they threw out there with him, MacDougall/Frasca etc.

The kid makes a few mistakes, Foudy makes tons a game and it is to be expected but he has stalled somewhat and that is probably directly related to how his play is developing/not developing. All the way up to the U17s this kids progressed well and since about a week after he gets very limited minutes. We've seen this before, recently so let's not see this develop into something else. This kid, like Cuylle and Foudy will be a significant part of the next few years, don't start F****** it up now.

Again with Campbell I agree with most of what you said. A warm body for free with experience in the league here to help fill the roster. I can live with that but just find it unfortunate they couldn't fill with a kid from within when we've had "very" good drafts the last few years.

For the next few weeks keep rotating the goalies, Piiroinen/Incze/Piiroinen repeat. After two or three weeks see if Piiroinen is ready to go three of four. Step back when you need to but keep the message clear to him, the starter's role is his for the taking provided he can handle it.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Decent game last night. Agree the 3rd goal is the only one I’d want back. Kari looked solid. 2 goals he had no chance at and a power play goal I don’t put on him. Even the 3rd goal, D let the Wolves walk right in, but based on the angle of the shot, those things aren’t going in on most OHL Goalies.

Glad to see D’Amico get the game winner but don’t forget he tossed the puck right out in Front to give Sudbury one earlier on. I’m a big D’Amico fan, but before the game winner I was thinking “this is one of the worst games I’ve seen him have in a while”.

Cuylle, Foudy, Douglas. Line 1
Angle, Purboo, DAmico. Line 2
I think those are as close to concrete lines as we have right now.

The power play is atrocious. Absolutely awful. It’s not like we’re maintaining control and just not getting puck on, we couldn’t even get the puck in the zone and maintain control. What if instead of having Powerplay lines, they just kept our normal lines and ran those? Cuylle, Foudy, Douglas have been great at even strength, why not throw them out there together on the powerplay?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
That has to be the worst thing I have seen you comment on,if u were there,the PK unit was on for the entire 1.30 of the penalty before Sudbury,couldn't get puck out,and you are going to blame a short bench,they couldn't get to the damn bench,unbelievable!

I guess they shouldn't of taken the penalty or learn how to get the puck out of their end. Do u think sudbury felt sorry for them?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Re McDonald

What happened?

he came back from the U17s and the three rookies were put on the same line together for a couple of games, they did well with some Dzone struggles and when they were split up McDonald saw his ice time immediately drop and is/was lucky to get 4th line minutes. Once Playfair went down and Boka started double shifting a bit he has been playing mainly with Boka and whoever else they threw out there with him, MacDougall/Frasca etc.

The kid makes a few mistakes, Foudy makes tons a game and it is to be expected but he has stalled somewhat and that is probably directly related to how his play is developing/not developing. All the way up to the U17s this kids progressed well and since about a week after he gets very limited minutes. We've seen this before, recently so let's not see this develop into something else. This kid, like Cuylle and Foudy will be a significant part of the next few years, don't start F****** it up now.

Again with Campbell I agree with most of what you said. A warm body for free with experience in the league here to help fill the roster. I can live with that but just find it unfortunate they couldn't fill with a kid from within when we've had "very" good drafts the last few years.

For the next few weeks keep rotating the goalies, Piiroinen/Incze/Piiroinen repeat. After two or three weeks see if Piiroinen is ready to go three of four. Step back when you need to but keep the message clear to him, the starter's role is his for the taking provided he can handle it.

This is where I am at. Fine they got a body for free but look what precipitated such a move. Larionov/Kutkevicius both released didn't bring much to the table this year. They didn't have another forward that they drafted that was worthy of signing.

Another thing Frasca who looked good when he played now has seemingly hit a wall. He's gotten a couple assists here or there but I can't even recall the last time he scored a goal. Still a lot of work to do to bring in more talent.

Agreed on goaltending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->