William Nylander Value/Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Heard on tsn 1050 this morning, apparently leafs looking at a bridge deal with Nylander of 4.5 ish, if true, not a bad idea given we have Marleau as well for 2 more years at a 6 mil. That should give us plenty of cap room to really go for it the next 3 years

I could see nylander going for bridge. He would make more moneylong term. How many years does he have until ufa? Obviously that is only issue.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I mean 8 in 13 games is pretty good. In Seguin's first 13, he had 7.

I'm not saying he won't improve, but he was not noticeable at all during the boston series. he would completly shy away from corner battles. that should be considered when he's talking about how much money he deserves.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Don't know how I feel about a bridge. It could back to bite us if Nylander continues to improve. He showed a lot of growth last season, but was unlucky on the PP. We have a chance to capitalize on his poor puck luck on the PP and get him locked up for about $6 mil AAV. Coming out of this bridge he could demand and be worth $8-9 mil AAV if he continues on an upward trajectory, especially with he and Matthews not always drawing the toughest match-ups with Tavares-Marner drawing a lot of them.
I just don't want a Subban or Kucherov scenario.

If they bridge that only means 1 thing

Nylanders camp is making outrageous contract demands right now

bridging is a terrible terrible option.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I could see nylander going for bridge. He would make more moneylong term. How many years does he have until ufa? Obviously that is only issue.

I think Nylander would be the one pushing for a bridge, if they came to him and said we will give you 6,7,8 years at $6M and he thought he was worth more I can see him saying lets do 2 or 3 years and reassess after that. Convincing him to go 8 x $6.5/7M would turn out best for the leafs IMO

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Brown seemed to have a real hard time finding chemistry last year, not sure if was because he bounced around, but he didn’t seem to fit with a myriad of combinations.

True but I also think we should be honest with ourselves and realize Brown just isnt that great of a offensive player.

He's a hard worker, who is responsible defensively, good on the PK and can chip in offensively but definitely not someone who drives the play or creates much on the offensive end.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Disagree, lower cap hit for two years, then a more proven and higher end tradeable asset, still under team control, when we have a better idea of what we have with Kap/Johnsson

we don't need the little lowered cap hit

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
A bridge deal would absolutely backfire. He will be stapled to Matthews' wing for those two years and as both improve and see better PP deployment Nylander comes out of the bridge a 75+ pt player looking for $8M or more.

This is the chance to get him long term for under $7M and we need to take it.

Could not agree more.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
It would be a mistake to sign Willy to a long term big $$ contract. The kid hasn't proven anything yet. Toronto would regret doing this. He plays too much like his father. Tons of talent but inconsistant. Floats too much.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Don’t want anything past 6mil. He hasn’t proved anything yet and is playing with Matthews. He vanishes constantly and was a complete non factor in the playoffs. I think he’s more like his father than anything.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Don’t want anything past 6mil. He hasn’t proved anything yet and is playing with Matthews. He vanishes constantly and was a complete non factor in the playoffs. I think he’s more like his father than anything.

sounds like a player you keep. If he disappears and still gets more points 5 on5 than marner that must be a hell of player, obviously marner is a hell of a player but one that can outscore him and do it while vanishing is exceptional.

Oh he scored at a higher rate away from Matthews last year than with him FYI

Reactions: weems

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
6.5M-7M x 7-8 years.

He's already a back to back 60 point player at 22 and a terrific even strength scorer. Not to mention, one of the best transition players in the game. He's just going to keep getting better. Really hope he gets a long term deal.

Reactions: weems and Walshy7

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

6m puts him with ehlers contract

the perfect match

but something tells me ,,this is not good enough for willis camp.

willi could have inked last summer to a ehlers like contract but chose to gamble and play another season to up his stock and welp he failed on that front.

Winnipeg evaluated correctly on ehlers and he produced 33% more goals then willi last season,, rightly earning his 6m cap hit that starts this season.

goal scorers almost always make more $

my gut is telling me, we are in for a shocker sooner then we think.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
6m puts him with ehlers contract

the perfect match

but something tells me ,,this is not good enough for willis camp.

willi could have inked last summer to a ehlers like contract but chose to gamble and play another season to up his stock and welp he failed on that front.

Winnipeg evaluated correctly on ehlers and he produced 33% more goals then willi last season,, rightly earning his 6m cap hit that starts this season.

goal scorers almost always make more $

my gut is telling me, we are in for a shocker sooner then we think.

haha I really love this narrative some are starting that willy is this money hungry player who thinks he is worth a lot more than he can get.

Should be able to get marner a lot cheaper too if goals get more $$ he will never get a ton of goals

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Jesus f***ing christ, our fan base has no idea how great Willy Nylander is.
Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 1.55.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 1.55.05 PM.png

Willie is a star NHL player right now.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
yeah, how dare a player to use all three years of his elc to set himself up for success.

oh,,,,,, he can do what ever he wants

he just has to sleep in the bed he made.

and something tells me that bed won't look like the Tavares pic i saw this week.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
6.5M-7M x 7-8 years.

He's already a back to back 60 point player at 22 and a terrific even strength scorer. Not to mention, one of the best transition players in the game. He's just going to keep getting better. Really hope he gets a long term deal.
You do realize that there is such a thing as a salary cap?
Next year Toronto will have to re-sign Mathews and Marner and I wouldn't be at all surprised to to see them sign for a combined salary of $16 million. Also, Toronto needs to improve their blue line. A #1 stud d-man is going to cost you at least $7 mil. Counting JT's salary that's $34 mil between 4 players. Are you sure you want to spend another $7 mil on Nylander. If you say yes, go talk to those clowns in Edmonton. They'll tell you what its like to be in salary cap hell.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
yeah, how dare a player to use all three years of his elc to set himself up for success.

I find that he "failed" a funny narrative. got 14 more 5 on5 points last year than the year before and was a team leader in that department. 2nd unit was cols last year partly due to Matthews injuries and partly due to the total lack of skill of the like of Brown and Komarov who were out there pretty regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad