William Nylander Value/Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
You do realize that there is such a thing as a salary cap?
Next year Toronto will have to re-sign Mathews and Marner and I wouldn't be at all surprised to to see them sign for a combined salary of $16 million. Also, Toronto needs to improve their blue line. A #1 stud d-man is going to cost you at least $7 mil. Counting JT's salary that's $34 mil between 4 players. Are you sure you want to spend another $7 mil on Nylander. If you say yes, go talk to those clowns in Edmonton. They'll tell you what its like to be in salary cap hell.

We're fine. Our cap issues are overstated. And no, we don't need to get a number 1 d-man. We already have one in Morgan Rielly.

We do need another top 4 RD though.

As for having money tied up in top players, I don't mind that. Much rather have that than paying 3rd and 4th line talents 3M or more.

Socreges

Oct 10, 2013
Have no faith guys, we have the executive of the year handling the negotiations. I heard him interviewed and he said he's on his own timetable and it might not be as fast as us fans want to hear. He'll get the deals done, but it may be later in the summer. :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
You do realize that there is such a thing as a salary cap?
Next year Toronto will have to re-sign Mathews and Marner and I wouldn't be at all surprised to to see them sign for a combined salary of $16 million. Also, Toronto needs to improve their blue line. A #1 stud d-man is going to cost you at least $7 mil. Counting JT's salary that's $34 mil between 4 players. Are you sure you want to spend another $7 mil on Nylander. If you say yes, go talk to those clowns in Edmonton. They'll tell you what its like to be in salary cap hell.

Signing Nylander to $6-$7 million (based on his comparables) is a lot different than signing Lucic to $6 million or Sekera to $5.5 million. You get f***ed by the cap by signing old replacement level players (at best at this point) to nearly $12 million combined, not by signing a player who at age 21 finished ahead of the following players in even strength points per 60 minutes of ice time: Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Point, Draisaitl, Panarin, Larkin, Connor, Scheifele, Barkov, Kessel, Kopitar, Ehlers, Wheeler, Laine, Eichel, Crosby, Seguin, Toews, Pevelski, Carter, RNH, Taresenko, Marner, and yes f***ing Tavares. If you want to ignore minutes, he still is ahead of all of the above except Point, Kopitar, Ovechkin, Panarin.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It’s fine to invest money in young star players, what you want to avoid is giving aging declining players (Lucic, Seabrook, ect) huge money deals, or giving depth guys too much money.

Pay Nylander and save money elsewhere

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Have no faith guys, we have the executive of the year handling the negotiations. I heard him interviewed and he said he's on his own timetable and it might not be as fast as us fans want to hear. He'll get the deals done, but it may be later in the summer. :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

What have you been hearing Soc?

Between you, your father and Gramps I have high hopes that you guys will be able to provide us with some nuggets along the way.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Signing Nylander to $6-$7 million (based on his comparables) is a lot different than signing Lucic to $6 million or Sekera to $5.5 million. You get ****ed by the cap by signing old replacement level players (at best at this point) to nearly $12 million combined, not by signing a player who at age 21 finished ahead of the following players in even strength points per 60 minutes of ice time: Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Point, Draisaitl, Panarin, Larkin, Connor, Scheifele, Barkov, Kessel, Kopitar, Ehlers, Wheeler, Laine, Eichel, Crosby, Seguin, Toews, Pevelski, Carter, RNH, Taresenko, Marner, and yes ****ing Tavares. If you want to ignore minutes, he still is ahead of all of the above except Point, Kopitar, Ovechkin, Panarin.
Okay. JMO.
FYI, if Toronto signs Nylander to a 2 yr bridge contract that will get the team to the 2020-21 season before you have to sign him again. At the end of the 2019-2020 season Marleau's $6.25 mil contract comes off the books and Mathews and Marner will already have signed contracts. A 2 year bridge contract gives the team a lot more flexability and certainty with regards to the salary cap. Nothing wrong with doing a bridge deal. Its not like Nylander is the cornerstone of the franchise's future.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
inventing a nylander hates the leafs narrative is pretty funny.

"pftt Nylander doesn't even sleep in leafs sheets". No of course he didn't becsue he wasn't born in Toronto and his dad didn't play for the leafs when Willy was 10 years old.
I hear Nylander sleeps in Calgary Flames sheets and blankets. :naughty:

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Jesus ****ing christ, our fan base has no idea how great Willy Nylander is.
View attachment 128475
View attachment 128477

Willie is a star NHL player right now.
Yup lock him up 7x7 or 8. If we wait after this season he'll be looking to get 9M and will probably deserve it. This season is exactly what we needed in terms of Willy's bad (for his standards) pp scoring. That won't happens next season.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
We're fine. Our cap issues are overstated.

Respectfully disagree. Martin is gone partially because of cap flexibility issues this coming season. Marleau and Gardiner have a good chance of being gone in 2019 because of the same next year. The Tavares purchase changed a lot.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Respectfully disagree. Martin is gone partially because of cap flexibility issues this coming season. Marleau and Gardiner have a good chance of being gone in 2019 because of the same next year. The Tavares purchase changed a lot.

I meant more as in we'll be able to retain our top players (for instance, the notion that we HAVE to trade Nylander). 19-20 is where we'll feel a bit of the cap squeeze (assuming we don't see a pretty big increase in the cap), but like you said Gardiner will be off the books. Dermott should replace Gardiner and we can fit a good top 4 RHD too. Once Marleau comes off the books, we'll have a lot of flexibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: weems

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Nylander has the biggest say and whether is wants a long term deal or a bridge deal, which gets him closer to being a UFA. IMO Nylander wants to go short term and this contract.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Nylander has the biggest say and whether is wants a long term deal or a bridge deal, which gets him closer to being a UFA. IMO Nylander wants to go short term and this contract.

ohhh yess,,,,,, RFA willi has the say does he???

well that would mean dubas has the say on what team he plays for.

i am sooooo looking forward to this show down

does it look like ANYONE is gonna put their foot on the throat of this management team??

good luck with that :help::wedgie:

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
ohhh yess,,,,,, RFA willi has the say does he???

well that would mean dubas has the say on what team he plays for.

i am sooooo looking forward to this show down

does it look like ANYONE is gonna put their foot on the throat of this management team??

good luck with that :help::wedgie:

Yes Willi and all players have a choice in the contract they sign. Just like Trouba did with the two summer ago with the Jets, a player can take a shorter term deal. In what world does Nylander HAVE to take a long term deal if he doesn't want to?
I'm sure Nylander know his CBA rights.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Yes Willi and all players have a choice in the contract they sign. Just like Trouba did with the two summer ago with the Jets, a player can take a shorter term deal. In what world does Nylander HAVE to take a long term deal if he doesn't want to?
I'm sure Nylander know his CBA rights.

willi does not have to sign anything , correct

and conversely willi does not have to remain a leaf either

we seem to be offensive top heavy, one could argue almost to the point of redundant

and yet there is this glaring lack of blue chip on the back end , the kind that would surely command quality in return.

Laista

Apr 21, 2012
Gävle
Has The Leafs-board Traded Nylander yet? Hej is probebly tired of all fans media want him gone so i expect him sign a 4 year deal with NYR.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Sorry if no nothing about the CBA. Nylander does not to have to sign a long term contract with the Leafs this summer. Why does even the most ardent Leaf fanatic think he has to?
I don't think anyone believes Nylander has to sign a long-term contract this summer - They're simply of the opinion that it would be in the Leafs' best interests to get him locked up long-term. Bridging him is logical for however long the bridge contract is, but likely doesn't make as much sense after that, when his price has sky-rocketed.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
willi does not have to sign anything , correct

and conversely willi does not have to remain a leaf either

we seem to be offensive top heavy, one could argue almost to the point of redundant

and yet there is this glaring lack of blue chip on the back end , the kind that would surely command quality in return.
Timothy Liljegren says hi

Reactions: freshwind

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't think anyone believes Nylander has to sign a long-term contract this summer - They're simply of the opinion that it would be in the Leafs' best interests to get him locked up long-term. Bridging him is logical for however long the bridge contract is, but likely doesn't make as much sense after that, when his price has sky-rocketed.

I agree that it would serve the Leafs best interest to. sign Willi long term. But there are non informed folks on this site that think Nylander HAS to sign long term.
And haven't you just given the reason why Nylander just want to take a bridge. He's looking for futures riches later.
To me, and it's just my opinion, Nylander is a different type of guy. Most young players like the long term security. IMO Nylander will be quite happy with a bridge.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Timothy Liljegren says hi

hi back timmy, i love ya bud

your only the 2nd ever draft pick where i did a flying fist pump when your name was called.

but dude your only 18 and missed an entire season of development , we got you fam

see you in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad