William Nylander Value/Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
bridge him

2x 5.5/6AAV

This is not a good idea at all. Why would we bridge a player for 2 years at roughly 500k-1m less than we could lock them up for 7 years? The increase in contract value we get over the course of a long term deal is vitally important to keeping this core together.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
Okay. JMO.
FYI, if Toronto signs Nylander to a 2 yr bridge contract that will get the team to the 2020-21 season before you have to sign him again. At the end of the 2019-2020 season Marleau's $6.25 mil contract comes off the books and Mathews and Marner will already have signed contracts. A 2 year bridge contract gives the team a lot more flexability and certainty with regards to the salary cap. Nothing wrong with doing a bridge deal. Its not like Nylander is the cornerstone of the franchise's future.
If that happens and Nylander adds PP production to his great ES production, and the cap keeps going up, the next contract will start with a $9 AAV. Long term, the Leafs are better off potentially saving $3 million a season long term than saving $2 million short-term.

Who said he's the cornerstone of the franchise's future? Do you know what those type of players get coming off of their ELCS now? Between $10 and $12.5 million (see Eichel and McDavid and see Matthews soon). Most are suggesting signing Nylander to around $6-$7 million AAV longterm, in the range of Ehlers and Pasta.

The only players better than Nylander (in their ELC years) that I recall getting bridged recently are Subban and Kucherov. Montreal could have gotten Subban on a cap-friendly deal long term, bridged him instead, and ended up having to give him $9 million a year in 2014 (with cap inflation that close to $11 million). Tampa bridged Kucherov at just under $5, what is he going to demand in his next deal?

bridge him

2x 5.5/6AAV
That's very little savings short-term. He doesn't have recent comparables, even including cap inflation, that justify anything north of $7 million a year long term. Why not just give him $6.5-$7 million long-term instead of $5.5-$6 million short and then, potentially, a big number after.

Reactions: weems and Menzinger

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Nylander won't sign an offersheet.

His daddy's rich and he wants a Cup.

Exactly. I'm sure Nylander actually just wants to play hockey and win stuff. I'm also sure he actually loves playing in Toronto, a dream come true for him. And there seems to be no clash between him and Babcock or any of his teammates.
People with no insight have been claiming that he's a diva or selfish ever since he was a little kid. It's pretty sad to see since there is no evidence of this at all, infact people who have worked with him has never claimed such a thing about Willy, quite the opposite it seems.
It's not very hard to imagine that a guy that just wants to play hockey and just turned 22 leaves the contract business for his agent to deal with. Hopefully a professional one.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Exactly. I'm sure Nylander actually just wants to play hockey and win stuff. I'm also sure he actually loves playing in Toronto, a dream come true for him. And there seems to be no clash between him and Babcock or any of his teammates.
People with no insight have been claiming that he's a diva or selfish ever since he was a little kid. It's pretty sad to see since there is no evidence of this at all, infact people who have worked with him has never claimed such a thing about Willy, quite the opposite it seems.
It's not very hard to imagine that a guy that just wants to play hockey and just turned 22 leaves the contract business for his agent to deal with. Hopefully a professional one.

The Islanders would have to give him $10M+, for him to sign an offersheet.

They're not going to do that. Even if they did, Toronto would walk away with four 1st round picks.

They don't have their 2nd and 3rd round picks to give him anything less than $10M.

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
The Islanders would have to give him $10M+, for him to sign an offersheet.

They're not going to do that. Even if they did, Toronto would walk away with four 1st round picks.

They don't have their 2nd and 3rd round picks to give him anything less than $10M.

Yeah I feel Islanders have to give up a lot, probably way too much for this to happen. And for what? Just to get back at Maple Leafs?
Maple Leafs obviously want him to stay, Nylander wants to stay. I feel they will sign a long term for a reasonable amount based on the current market, 6 to 7 m most likely.
I'm sure Willy could reasonably ask for 7 to 7.25, but I would not be surprised if he accepts somthing like 6.25 x 7 years and everyone's happy.
There is no reason to think that Nylander doesn't want to be a part of this journey.

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah I feel Islanders have to give up a lot, probably way too much for this to happen. And for what? Just to get back at Maple Leafs?
Maple Leafs obviously want him to stay, Nylander wants to stay. I feel they will sign a long term for a reasonable amount based on the current market, 6 to 7 m most likely.
I'm sure Willy could reasonably ask for 7 to 7.25, but I would not be surprised if he accepts somthing like 6.25 x 7 years and everyone's happy.
There is no reason to think that Nylander doesn't want to be a part of this journey.

If Toronto gives him $7M and NYI gives him $10M, the difference after tax is about $1.5M in real money.

If $1.5M more is worth suffering on Long Island, go ahead.

But he's not going anywhere.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Rumor has it that Dubas has instructed Nylander to grown this beard to help protect against a NYI offer sheet. :naughty: :snide:

Reactions: nobody

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
If Toronto gives him $7M and NYI gives him $10M, the difference after tax is about $1.5M in real money.

If $1.5M more is worth suffering on Long Island, go ahead.

But he's not going anywhere.

well there is something we can offer that the islands can't NTC/NMC and bonus clauses.

"The first option is to exercise their "Right of First Refusal". This means that they match the salary, term, signing bonus and reporting bonus of the offer sheet, and the player is considered signed. Additional terms such as no trade/no move clauses or performance bonuses are NOT included, but they can be negotiated separately"

Nashville did not keep the nmc/ntc part of that weber offer sheet and now instead of gunning for a cup, welp he is in montreal.

but you could also end up like Caro, reports are lind and Hanifin RFA talks was not going well at all and bang they off to calgary.

Last edited:

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
Dubas yesterday: ".....we’re going to be very patient with the RFAs. Obviously William’s contract is up now and we’ll begin working with (his agent) Lewis Gross in the coming weeks to make sure he’s set. We’ll tackle the others that are eligible for extensions, but it’s my own decision that we’ve got to be patient with them and make sure the players know what they’re getting into as well and what our vision is for the team so that they feel a part of that as they’re signing up for the long-term with us.”

Reading between the lines, "patience" is code for Leafs and Nylander are far apart in numbers at this point. His contract is going to be the linchpin as to whether the Leafs can keep all 3 of kids together. If Nylander demands too much........don't do it Willie!

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Dubas yesterday: ".....we’re going to be very patient with the RFAs. Obviously William’s contract is up now and we’ll begin working with (his agent) Lewis Gross in the coming weeks to make sure he’s set. We’ll tackle the others that are eligible for extensions, but it’s my own decision that we’ve got to be patient with them and make sure the players know what they’re getting into as well and what our vision is for the team so that they feel a part of that as they’re signing up for the long-term with us.”

Reading between the lines, "patience" is code for Leafs and Nylander are far apart in numbers at this point. His contract is going to be the linchpin as to whether the Leafs can keep all 3 of kids together. If Nylander demands too much........don't do it Willie!

talk about putting 2 and 2 together and getting 6. There is nothing to suggest the numbers are far apart. They just went through a couple of weeks of 100% focus on Tavares

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
talk about putting 2 and 2 together and getting 6. There is nothing to suggest the numbers are far apart. They just went through a couple of weeks of 100% focus on Tavares

We'll see at the end of August, when I hope I'm not saying I told you so

kfox

Dec 23, 2011

We'll see at the end of August, when I hope I'm not saying I told you so

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
This will be the next big test for Dubas, even more so than thinking about the defense right now. Nylander's deal will 100% set the bar for both the Matthews and Marner deals. It makes sense that they would both want to hold out until next offseason, as Nylander did this year. If you can give him a Pastrnak deal right now, you do it.

Laista

Apr 21, 2012
Gävle
IF Nylander has been promised a C position soon, and with that Tavares now maybe crush that plan!
Could he be looking for a Team that can deliver a Centre position for hm?

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

See that's the problem with a LOT of leaf fans.

Dubas says one thing and one thing only. Posters immediately think they know what he was really saying and doing even tho they have not a simple single clue.

Read between the lines.... you don't know jack about anything and if you think KD hasn't already spoken at length with Willie and his agent you are sadly mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad