William Nylander Value/Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
so marner isn't elite either right?. 69 points in 82 games is only 8 points more than 61 unless 7+ points is the cut off from "far from elite"
I look at being elite as being in the upper echelon of players. I would think that a reasonable cut-off would be the ability to score at 0.90 pts per game, with a few exceptions. Marner at 0.84 is not elite. He'll most likely get there but he's not there now. Sean Monahan at 0.86 is not elite. He's very good but not elite. Patrik Laine at 0.85 is elite but he's an exception. The 44 goals that he scored make him elite.

Auston Mathews at 1.02 is elite.
Johnny Gaudreau at 1.05 is elite

Sorry, as I said previously, Nylander at 0.74 is far from elite and with his work ethic may never get there. He floats out there and virtually disappeared during the playoffs.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The underrating of Nylander on this entire site has reached ridiculous levels.

Just went back and watched all of Matthews goals from this past season and so many of them come from Nylander starting it all off with a fantastic sequence.

If we make some kneejerk trade just so we can fill a hole I would bet a few years down the road we're going to massively regret it.

Excellent young player that for whatever reason doesnt get the credit he derserves.

waitttttttt, so your saying nylander makes matthews?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I look at being elite as being in the upper echelon of players. I would think that a reasonable cut-off would be the ability to score at 0.90 pts per game, with a few exceptions. Marner at 0.84 is not elite. He'll most likely get there but he's not there now. Sean Monahan at 0.86 is not elite. He's very good but not elite. Patrik Laine at 0.85 is elite but he's an exception. The 44 goals that he scored make him elite.

Sorry, as I said previously, Nylander at 0.74 is far from elite and with his work ethic may never get there. He floats out there and virtually disappeared during the playoffs.

high high end goal scorers do not need to that high with the ppg, like laine

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017

And Nylander played on the first line with Matthews. I personally was disappointed in the 20 goals. Not terrible, but he did play with Matthews and all those assists were not truly earned if you know what I mean. I think Ehlers is better than Willy.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Mother numbers clear as day shown they improve one another’s game. Matthews doesn’t carry Nylander, they help each other

His speed and agility push defenders back on their heels and it opens up tons of space for Matthews.

When Brown was put with Matthews that line was basically a non factor offensively.

Reactions: Menzinger

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
His speed and agility push defenders back on their heels and it opens up tons of space for Matthews.

When Brown was put with Matthews that line was basically a non factor offensively.

oh so your are saying willi makes matthews

ok got it

weems

Jul 3, 2008
oh so your are saying willi makes matthews

ok got it

I'm saying that his skillset allows Matthews alot of time and space.

You must be pushing some agenda here because in no way am I saying Matthews isnt a good player without Nylander just that he greatly complements him and when Matthews was given a different winger in Brown, they were basically a non factor and didnt create much offense whatsoever.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'm saying that his skillset allows Matthews alot of time and space.

You must be pushing some agenda here because in no way am I saying Matthews isnt a good player without Nylander just that he greatly complements him and when Matthews was given a different winger in Brown, they were basically a non factor and didnt create much offense whatsoever.

Those are your words NOT MINE.

ergo= add willi and matthews line becomes a offensive factor , erog= willi makes that line, he makes matthews.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

ergo= add willi and matthews line becomes a offensive factor , erog= willi makes that line, he makes matthews.

More like Matthews is a really good player and Nylanders skillset helps him to be one of the best goal scoring players in his 2nd year.

This is in NO WAY me saying that Nylander makes Matthews.

It's saying that Nylanders skillset and ability has aided in Matthews being as good as he currently is in his first two years.

Go read my posting history. I'm one of the biggest Matthews fans on this site.

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

kindalaidback

숨 참고 LOVE DIVE
Nov 24, 2017
NYC
More like Matthews is a really good player and Nylanders skillset helps him to be one of the best goal scoring players in his 2nd year.

This is in NO WAY me saying that Nylander makes Matthews.

It's saying that Nylanders skillset and ability has aided in Matthews being as good as he currently is in his first two years.

Go read my posting history. I'm one of the biggest Matthews fans on this site.
he doesn't understand that two players can make each other better.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
he doesn't understand that two players can make each other better.

right so,,,, matthews needs willi,,,,, so the line does not become a "non offensive factor"

brown/hyman are not enough for mattews to be on a effective offensive line.

so willi is the straw that stirs the mattews line

riiiiiiiiggghttt:rolleyes:

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
And Nylander played on the first line with Matthews. I personally was disappointed in the 20 goals. Not terrible, but he did play with Matthews and all those assists were not truly earned if you know what I mean. I think Ehlers is better than Willy.
Nylanders goalscoring was probably lowered by player with matthews... he knows in most situations a pass to matthews is the better play. If we get ro see nylander away from matthews im pretty sure his goal totals go up but assists likely down.

He has a great wrister but misses a bit too much to my liking. Perhaps that is a sideeffect playing with matthews who takes majority of high danger shots tho.

But i have also seen nylander miss some grade A chances. Honestly he is a player that is doing great but it just feels he isent playing up to his potential yet.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Look at pts/60 from January on. He is elite alright

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

Have you considered that when Brown was put with Matthews and Hyman the line was deployed and used very differently or that it was during a big slump in offensive from Nylander and Matthews hence why they were split up.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
How come we're hearing zero rumblings about the contract talks? They should be ongoing, no?

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
I have always thought Nylander was not a good fit for Matthews. Nylander likes to hold the puck too much. Matthews likes give and go hockey with lots of quick puck movement. Personally I don't like the fit between the 2 guys. Hyman is a good fit because he can go get pucks. But i think Marner is a super fit for Tavares. Like to see Brown match up with one of those 2 lines. Can see Marleau with Matthews too as he has good speed to create open ice and he can pass.

I think Nylander will be odd man out when dust settles nest season. He will get bridged and then traded for a stay at home defence who we can put on ice with 2 minutes left to protect leads.

Marleau - Matty - Brown
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johhnson - Kadri - Nylander (to start)
Leivo - ??? - ???

Grundstrom is not ready.

That said Babs is really set in his ways. So this is probably too much change for him.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I have always thought Nylander was not a good fit for Matthews. Nylander likes to hold the puck too much. Matthews likes give and go hockey with lots of quick puck movement. Personally I don't like the fit between the 2 guys. Hyman is a good fit because he can go get pucks. But i think Marner is a super fit for Tavares. Like to see Brown match up with one of those 2 lines. Can see Marleau with Matthews too as he has good speed to create open ice and he can pass.

I think Nylander will be odd man out when dust settles nest season. He will get bridged and then traded for a stay at home defence who we can put on ice with 2 minutes left to protect leads.

Marleau - Matty - Brown
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johhnson - Kadri - Nylander (to start)
Leivo - ??? - ???

Grundstrom is not ready.

That said Babs is really set in his ways. So this is probably too much change for him.

He's already said what he wants for his top six. Personally I think Matthews should play with Marner and Tavares should play with Nylander but his lines seem pretty solid.

Marleau - Matthews-Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad